Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man Caves

Man Caves

Interesting thread we have all contributed to or want to regarding people's man cave's. Once I learn photo shop here or whatever it takes to download photos, I'll do so myself.

I'm having surgery Thursday n what has been a lengthy ordeal. If not for our hobby, the people I deal with, and that interaction and updating and moving things about in my room, I would have went nuts a long time ago. It seems we all start out in cards, move to autographs and oddball, and eventually end up in game used items. At 45, I'd say that is about all I'll collect anymore. The room is filled with mementos, too many to exhibit properly really. Wife helped me hang a few things today, and shed a tear when I tried to get some space in the adjoining family room area. So, I guess if there is additional things to display, I'll have to be creative...

I'll say this, at the end of the day, the hoopla of family issues that we sweat dealing with but would not have any other way, it is nice to sit in our man cave's and bask in the glory of what is simple, what was yesterday, and just enjoy it. That is what it is all about.

Peace and quiet...the man cave...it's like sitting in the blind alone and cold - but it's your time...

Enjoy - skyking26 (Bob)
    No, I'm not doing drugs right now, just throwing thoughts out there.

Re: Man Caves

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    Interesting thread we have all contributed to or want to regarding people's man cave's. Once I learn photo shop here or whatever it takes to download photos, I'll do so myself.

I'm having surgery Thursday n what has been a lengthy ordeal. If not for our hobby, the people I deal with, and that interaction and updating and moving things about in my room, I would have went nuts a long time ago. It seems we all start out in cards, move to autographs and oddball, and eventually end up in game used items. At 45, I'd say that is about all I'll collect anymore. The room is filled with mementos, too many to exhibit properly really. Wife helped me hang a few things today, and shed a tear when I tried to get some space in the adjoining family room area. So, I guess if there is additional things to display, I'll have to be creative...

I'll say this, at the end of the day, the hoopla of family issues that we sweat dealing with but would not have any other way, it is nice to sit in our man cave's and bask in the glory of what is simple, what was yesterday, and just enjoy it. That is what it is all about.

Peace and quiet...the man cave...it's like sitting in the blind alone and cold - but it's your time...

Enjoy - skyking26 (Bob)
    No, I'm not doing drugs right now, just throwing thoughts out there.

bob,

i agree totally with you on the man cave. sad part is, i am a skilled carpenter (skilled in all phases of construction for that matter), but never seem to get anything done at home. in addition, i have a 2.5 year old daughter so at the end of the day when she, and the wife are in bed, it is a welcomed relaxation time for me. i would love to move the collection out of the office, and into the addition i was to build long ago, but time always works against me (just ask andrew lang how many emails i send him late at night!!). also, like you, i am camera/photoshop challenged so just to sit and look at or just hold a favorite piece is a relief.

with regards to your pending surgery, i hope all goes well, and wish you a speedy recovery.

mark

Not alot of people get it. You do what makes you happy, and if sitting in a room surrounded by pieces of history makes you happy then do it. Theres nothing like picking up your favorite bat, digging into an imaginary batters box, and taking a few cuts with the piece of lumber. Just knowing that this player went to battle with this bat in his hands and nothing else. Then you think, "who was pitching when this bat was being used." and "what extra things did the player to do this bat to make it his own". Its just cool to be able to own stuff like this.

good luck with your surgery.
    Collecting current Brewers players and Prospects

brewergamer28@yahoo.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Although I do not have a man cave yet, my apartment bedroom has to make due. Like stated before, I started collecting baseball cards, than moved on to to autographs and now I am stunned by the Game Used world. I started collecting a year ago and now have about 15-20 bats, a few jerseys and countless little items. It really is something that is addicting and a lot of fun to just enjoy. Getting to own the items that your favorite players or stars wore or used is about as cool as it gets for me.

Glad I am not into baseball cards anymore I think I will stick with this hobby.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Bob,

Best wishes to you on Thursday. Spend lots of time in your Man Cave afterwards if possible. Guaranteed to speed any recovery.

Regards
    David

Wow AWA we were on the same path! I started collecting baseball cards in like 1988 when I was 4 and my first baseball card was a Tom Glavine rookie card and its why I am such a big Braves fan. When I moved to Maryland and finally had the Orioles local I switched to autographs. (used to live in Virginia). Now that I have a job I can afford to buy game used items as autograph collecting became to big of a hassle got tired of dealing with the people and the players.

Turning 23 in 2 weeks, I think it was about time to switch away from the autograph life. Something a little odd about getting these first round draft picks straight out of high school to sign for me when I have a few years on them haha. Now I can just try and get my game used items signed and not feel quite as ODD.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Bob,

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery this Thursday. I've had only one surgery, and it was an emergency one for a ruptured appendix while on a Vegas trip. It took several weeks to recover, and I marvel at today's athlete's who are back on the field in two weeks. I hope that all goes well for you. Being surrounded by your family and spending time in your man cave should definitely help your recovery!

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by island_style View Post
    Bob,

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery this Thursday. I've had only one surgery, and it was an emergency one for a ruptured appendix while on a Vegas trip. It took several weeks to recover, and I marvel at today's athlete's who are back on the field in two weeks. I hope that all goes well for you. Being surrounded by your family and spending time in your man cave should definitely help your recovery!

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com
    Thanks guys. I've been all over our area and Detroit with this since May. Abdominal pain that increases with activity and walking. Went to Cleveland Clinic and they say it is a sports henia, possibly 2. 2 hour operation, and trust me, I'm not a hospital or surgery guy. I'd rather just be doing normal routine. 08 has seen some of the largest collecting purchases of my near 30 years of collecting so that has led to a revision of my room - which has kept me very busy.

I appreciate people's thoughts. Great hobby here. Alot of nice people, many I know on a personal basis and many just to say hello. It's all good!!!

Bob - The good 'ole sports hernia. I had mine repaired a few years ago at the age of 40+ and the 1st week of recovery was real tough for me as I tried doing it on small doses of pain relievers.

All I can say is it will take a while but you will be pain free in the near future so good luck to you!

Enjoy the man cave and post some pics when you got them!

God speed to a quick recovery!!!!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500