Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT:Original What does it mean?

Yesterday, I purchased a Sadaharu Oh Menko rookie card. The seller listed it as "ORIGINAL" so I took him for his word and purchased it. I quickly emailed a friend, sending him to a link of the card I bought. Only to be emailed back this morning with bad news, the boarders of this card had bin cut off. Now I feel by no means is a card "original" if the boarders have bin cut. Do you guys feel this is "original" with the boarders cut? Do I have argument to return the card or do I just have eat the cost of the card because I didn't do enough research? First card is the one I bought the second is a photo of a original Oh rookie.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: OT:Original What does it mean?

It is the original card...not a reprint. That why SGC slabbed it as authentic, I would guess. Because it's been cut down, they could not grade it.

You'd never seen this card before the auction? Always best to do homework before the purchase.

I would advise that it depends on the price of altered vs. non-altered.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Agree, that you need to do your homework. If you don't know how important card edges and trimming are in value determination, you shouldn't be collecting cards, that's a very basic issue.

I absolutely would call it original. Based on the photo comparisons, it is obvious that the card has been trimmed. But trimming does not make the card a reprint.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

I agree enough homework was not done. But I did do some, most photos I had seen of menko cards did not have boarders so I assumed I was safe.

If this was a game issued jersey and it was washed a few time to make it look more worn and used. Would you still consider that jersey in it original state or has it bin doctored. The only point I am trying to make should this information of card trimming have bin disclosed.

It's definitely original, just altered. The seller should have mentioned that it was trimmed though. The SGC - Authentic designation would raise concerns though since they would have given it a grade if it wasn't altered.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Original and original condition are different things. The card is original (aka authentic, aka genuine) but badly trimmed. Obviously, the trimming lowers the value quite a bit.

Whichever definition of original is used, the trimming should have been disclosed by the seller. There's no debate about that point.