Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Dave Grob and President Coolidge request your advice

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    1) upper deck: because upper deck representatives personally witness the autographs being signed.

2) steiner: because steiner goes into the clubhouse and personally collects the bats and jerseys.

3) meigray: because meigray personally tags each jersey before the game and then goes in and personally collects them after the game.

are troy and dave now personally collecting game-used items after the game? which one of them went into the browns locker room in 1962 to get that jersey from jim brown? i'm guessing it must've been bushing because troy hadn't been born yet. maybe it was miedema though?

rudy.
    Rudy, wait -

Does Steiner certifiy New York Yankees jersey from the past that may have come from The Yankees, but they never saw worn?

Does MeiGray watch the tagged jersey get put on the players back and then taken off?

Even if the answer is "Yes" to both, it doesn't matter - How can they authenticate jersey and then sell them with their LOAs? Isn't this a conflict of interested? (I personally think both companies are fine, but it is a similar practice with no issues by Rudy)

D

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jdr3 View Post
    Joel,

From the inordinate amount of replies you have made in just 2 hours it is obvious your subconscious is racked with guilt because you know every rebuttal to your posts in this chain have been based in truth and fact. Me thinks thou dost protest too much. How many times in your life have you admitted to being wrong? I cannot remember one during your long and blathering tenure on this otherwise useful forum.

Jim Reed
    Who could not care less what your grandfather looked like, although he bears a strong resemblence to Julius Rosenburg.
    Jim, yes, both sides have valid points, I do not disagree with such. I just do not understand where the debate is going if MEARS admits they are committing a conflict of interest so they fully disclose such to the public.

I am about to leave for dinner now, I wanted to stay home to watch the Chicago Blackhawks game in Toronto. Great game, Hawks came back from 3-0 down to win 5-4 in overtime for their third win on the road in a row during their yearly circus road trip.

What is your line about my grandfather? Did I post his picture from the Chez Parie on here one day? Glad you are taking the time to read through my hundreds of posts to find that one. He died in 1982 and his last wife (my grandmother died before I was born) told me last night at dinner how she used to go to all sporting events with Grandpa in Chicago. I told he we would go to a hockey game before the end of the year. I am so excited to take one of my two remaining Grandmothers to a hockey game at 90! Aren't you excited?

Banned

Joel,

From the inordinate amount of replies you have made in just 2 hours it is obvious your subconscious is racked with guilt because you know every rebuttal to your posts in this chain have been based in truth and fact. Me thinks thou dost protest too much. How many times in your life have you admitted to being wrong? I cannot remember one during your long and blathering tenure on this otherwise useful forum.

Jim Reed
    Who could not care less what your grandfather looked like, although he bears a strong resemblence to Julius Rosenburg.
    Jim, looking at the thread below:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=17809

It appears you like to pick on me and bait me and then brag about it.

Why this pattern?

By the way, the only thing I feel guilty about is that my wife is waiting to go out to dinner and I am wasting time being baited by you again so you can insult me, my tact and my integrity.

Geez,

I know Troy too, and I have his phone number and by gosh Troy emailed me three times today while he was at the show in Chicago!!! And one of Troy's largest articles ever written on the MEARS website was about me.

Have I had lunch with Troy? No. Have I had dinner with Troy? No. But I did have lunch with former U.S. Department of Homeland Security Tom Ridge and I was nominated to a post on his homeland security panel. But that means jack squat. Just the same as has half of Joel's posts.

I too believe that MEARS is the best system that I have have ever observed. Do they have issues? Yes. Do I have problems with their scoring system? You bet I do and I have pointed them out on this website and on the MEARS website. I have serious issues when a person can slap a horrendously fake name, and fake numbers on a 1971 Oakland A's jersey and MEARS deems it game worn by Reggie Jackson. And by the way did I mention the jersey had an outline of the #4 on front and back before somebody slapped a #9 JACKSON on it??? Oh yes it was worn by Reggie because somebody stuck a 9 and name on the jersey. Fabulous assessment of this game used jersey used by a common A's player!!!

Rudy I have no bricks in my basement.

Mark

Excited, no. Nauseas, however, from you pathetic attempt to turn every post into some needlessly dramatic me against the world diatribe. All the violins in the world play for you and your grandmother and grandfather, and their needless place on this forum. It brought tears to my eyes how you will take her to a ball game. Please reinstate your self imposed exile. I love how everybody who supports you wants to be anonymous. Do you really expect anyone to believe this crap you throw out?

--a company is in business to make money and if they limit their profits by just selling the hardwares that people have give them to auction they are limiting themselves.

--conflict of interests is difficult to avoid in a narrow business with very little quality options.

--full disclosure is the compromise of this imperfect market.

--more auction items in an auction means more interest for consumers and if auctioneers want to sell their own stuff why not. its their business.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Rudy, wait -

Does Steiner certifiy New York Yankees jersey from the past that may have come from The Yankees, but they never saw worn?

Does MeiGray watch the tagged jersey get put on the players back and then taken off?

Even if the answer is "Yes" to both, it doesn't matter - How can they authenticate jersey and then sell them with their LOAs? Isn't this a conflict of interested? (I personally think both companies are fine, but it is a similar practice with no issues by Rudy)

D
    joel

you're flailing. steiner's not an authenticator, they're a dealer. in their words, a "sports marketing firm". you're confusing someone who simply sells a jersey with someone who explicitly grades and authenticates a jersey and charges for the service of "authentication". when steiner sold their old yankees shirts, in many cases they didn't even know who wore them. there was no "authenticating" per se. bob malandro and sean mahoney wouldn't call themselves authenticators in a million years. on many shirts, malandro didn't even check the rosters. steiner's letters simply said "here's a #24 jersey. not sure who wore it. we got it from the yankees. enjoy". hardly an authentication. same deal with upper deck. what's to "authenticate" when you're literally watching jordan sign the photo in front of you? upper deck is a sports marketing firm as is steiner. neither are viewed as "authenticators". neither issue grades. meigray sells pieces that it collects directly after games and it also authenticates older collector-submitted pieces. meigray is both a dealer and an authenticator.
    they don't "authenticate" the pieces they collect after games because there's nothing to authenticate. stick a unique ID on a jersey, give the jersey back to the player and have him use it, collect the jersey after he's used it and sell it. where's the authentication?
    MEARS on the other hand is an authenticator (and dealer). MEARS' letters and corresponding worksheets are clear and obvious authentications. i've never heard anyone consider steiner or upper deck "authenticators". they just acquire items and resell them. no authentication. they do come with letters that state the item came from upper deck or steiner but that's it. they're simply letters of provenance, not authentications. the "LOA" term is extremely loose.

rudy.

Can I officially ask for this p*ssing contest to be over?????? It's going nowhere, people!

Rudy: MEARS has a conflict of interest. You see it. MEARS sees it. We all see it. Even Joel sees it. WE GET IT!! However, with very few options out there for cross-examining items, and also the fact of handing money to a competitor to do a job that you can do as well or better must be galling, this situation may, unfortunately, be the most practical under current conditions. I do not think there are enough quality options out there to have a true checks-and-balances system in place like you (and the rest of us) would like to see. Perhaps most collectors think like I do: I'd rather have something that Bushing personally owned and authenticated himself than the same item looked at by Lampson (obviously), Grey Flannel, or the men behind the curtain at Mastro.

Joel: You love the MEARS gang and how they do business. You think they have the best system out there. WE GET IT!! That's why they are probably the most respected group today. But please listen to me: You are repeating yourself over and over. And over. Please, let it go!

I'm sure everyone who has read these threads this far is educated enough in the biz to see what the issues are, and have and will continue to use their wallets to "choose sides." But these threads have amounted to sniping back and forth and back and forth, and they aren't adding to the knowledge of anyone.

ADMIN: I THINK IT'S TIME TO LOCK THESE THREADS before it just gets more personal and angry.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    --a company is in business to make money and if they limit their profits by just selling the hardwares that people have give them to auction they are limiting themselves.

--conflict of interests is difficult to avoid in a narrow business with very little quality options.

--full disclosure is the compromise of this imperfect market.

--more auction items in an auction means more interest for consumers and if auctioneers want to sell their own stuff why not. its their business.
    Thank you - The word "compromise" fits perfectly here.

Excited, no. Nauseas, however, from you pathetic attempt to turn every post into some needlessly dramatic me against the world diatribe. All the violins in the world play for you and your grandmother and grandfather, and their needless place on this forum. It brought tears to my eyes how you will take her to a ball game. Please reinstate your self imposed exile. I love how everybody who supports you wants to be anonymous. Do you really expect anyone to believe this crap you throw out?
    Do you ever post anything but abusive posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache Gang View Post
    Geez,

I know Troy too, and I have his phone number and by gosh Troy emailed me three times today while he was at the show in Chicago!!! And one of Troy's largest articles ever written on the MEARS website was about me.

Have I had lunch with Troy? No. Have I had dinner with Troy? No. But I did have lunch with former U.S. Department of Homeland Security Tom Ridge and I was nominated to a post on his homeland security panel. But that means jack squat. Just the same as has half of Joel's posts.

I too believe that MEARS is the best system that I have have ever observed. Do they have issues? Yes. Do I have problems with their scoring system? You bet I do and I have pointed them out on this website and on the MEARS website. I have serious issues when a person can slap a horrendously fake name, and fake numbers on a 1971 Oakland A's jersey and MEARS deems it game worn by Reggie Jackson. And by the way did I mention the jersey had an outline of the #4 on front and back before somebody slapped a #9 JACKSON on it??? Oh yes it was worn by Reggie because somebody stuck a 9 and name on the jersey. Fabulous assessment of this game used jersey used by a common A's player!!!

Rudy I have no bricks in my basement.

Mark
    Mark, sorry if you misunderstood my intention. It was to let Rudy know that I am close with Troy Kinunen and I believe in his system. I am glad you are also in contact with Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Can I officially ask for this p*ssing contest to be over?????? It's going nowhere, people!

Rudy: MEARS has a conflict of interest. You see it. MEARS sees it. We all see it. Even Joel sees it. WE GET IT!! However, with very few options out there for cross-examining items, and also the fact of handing money to a competitor to do a job that you can do as well or better must be galling, this situation may, unfortunately, be the most practical under current conditions. I do not think there are enough quality options out there to have a true checks-and-balances system in place like you (and the rest of us) would like to see. Perhaps most collectors think like I do: I'd rather have something that Bushing personally owned and authenticated himself than the same item looked at by Lampson (obviously), Grey Flannel, or the men behind the curtain at Mastro.

Joel: You love the MEARS gang and how they do business. You think they have the best system out there. WE GET IT!! That's why they are probably the most respected group today. But please listen to me: You are repeating yourself over and over. And over. Please, let it go!

I'm sure everyone who has read these threads this far is educated enough in the biz to see what the issues are, and have and will continue to use their wallets to "choose sides." But these threads have amounted to sniping back and forth and back and forth, and they aren't adding to the knowledge of anyone.

ADMIN: I THINK IT'S TIME TO LOCK THESE THREADS before it just gets more personal and angry.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
    Ken, very well said on all ends.

Finally, Rudy, the bricks in the basement is a comment about someone's past activites that is an inside comment. Sorry if you think it is more than that, but is it just a fun way to remind someone of their past when they attack my views.

Hello Everyone,

I just deleted a number of posts that were very off-topic and personal in nature. If you wish to contribute anything more to this thread please make sure it is constructive in nature and beneficial to the community.

Thanks in advance.
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions