Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: what to look for in a game used football?

Hi Jim, thanks for the info and reply. I've attached a couple of pics of the superbowl 42 gameball that I have.
    thanks again!!!

Mike J.

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    It would seem to me that if you contact PSA, they may be able to help you out. Could you post an image of the football? It would be an interesting item to see.

A year or so ago, I was talking to a Wilson employee who told me that the NFL and Wilson were toying with the idea of actually putting a chip under the laces for footballs used in big games like the Super Bowl. Maybe the chip idea didn't work out and they went to the ink stamp instead.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Mikey68,
    I hate to be a doubting thomas but I would really feel better about the ball if PSA did mark it. I have a Mike Carey regular season Rams ball that has his initials "MC" in black sharpie on the point of the football nearest Roger Goodell's lasers name. I know this is how he marks his game balls. Maybe for the Superbowl he didn't mark the balls because they were using a large number of balls that were already league reviewed? I am on Getty Images right now trying to see if I can identify his markings on any of the Superbowl pix

Mikey68,
    Look at image 80198591 of brady throwing ball. Looks like ball has marking.

Below is another picture that they claim is from SB. It doesn't have Mike Carey "MC" and it is a Patriots ball and it doesn't have the SB42 logo. Probably a warm up ball and picture was during pregame??

Here is another pic of actual game footage. It appears to have MC by Goodells name

This one appears to have laser team name on panel below logo???

Hi KJ, thanks for checking this out. I really hope this is a real game used sb 42 ball, since it came from the head of the nfl referees, Tim Millis, Executive Director of the NFL Referees Association, but ya never know. I've attached a couple of pics of the ball with ole miss coach houston nutt at the auction. Thanks again!!! Mike J.

KJ, the pictures of the footballs you were describing didn't show up in the forum. I really appreciate your input with this. thanks! mj

Mikey,
    I just went thru about 2000 photos from the game and looked at the footballs the best I could. I'm sorry the photos didn't show up. Just go to getty images and search superbowl 42. there are over 3000 photos. most are no good to you but i found at least a dozen shots where you could clearly see MC written in black sharpie by Goodell's name. It would be my opinion that the ball you have is NOT an actual game ball used in the superbowl. I am only basing this on photos from getty.

Thanks KJ. I'll check out the pics. You may be right about the ball and that kinda hurts, but that's life. I really hoped that it was a gameball. Maybe it has the psa/dna stamp that's only visable with the special laser but who knows? Thanks again! Mike

a lot of the pics show a marking on the ball, but here's one that doesn't show the "mc". It could have been smeared, but it looks like no marking.