Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats a better value?

the wayne gretzky honus wagner card or mcfarlane 63rd HR baseball? and why.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Re: Whats a better value?

I always wonder how many of those Honus Wagner cards are out there and yet to be discovered. Let's say something crazy happens and 5 of those cards are found in different attics over time...some of them in nice shape. I realize this is highly unlikely, but it is at least possible. These discoveries, obviously, would have an effect on the price of each of these cards.

The thing a home run ball has going for it...in my opinion...is that it will always be the only one; noone will ever uncover the same ball at a flea market. There will be more homerun balls...some more significant...but the one you have can not be replaced and holds it's historical value, even when dollar value goes down because records get broken, and player's reputations are questioned, etc.

I guess I didn't really answer the question at all.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Value? Wow, we are talking about a card that has a strong possibility of being trimmed vs. a ball that might have been tainted with the steroid era.

Both are over-valued. The Wagner card in any condition is selling great these days, but for $2 million, I'll take a nice house and a Saleen S7. The only thing going for it is the controversy and noteriety. How many cards have had as much press? There was an entire book dedicated to it...The Card - which is a great read, and will open your eyes to card grading.

As far as the 62nd (I assumed you meant the record-breaker) Mac Ball....this ball was part of a major historical event in the history of baseball. Even if both Mac and Sammy took illegal steroids (neither was PROVEN guilty)...the ball still has value as a historical piece - kind of like the stuff from the Black Sox scandal. They brought the sport to levels it had never been to.

In time, there will be other Wagner cards to surface - like Scott mentioned. If you meant the 63rd ball, since #62 is in Mac's collection, it's not as valuable to me - personally. It is kind of like Aaron's 716th...what did that go for?
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    Value? Wow, we are talking about a card that has a strong possibility of being trimmed vs. a ball that might have been tainted with the steroid era.

Both are over-valued. The Wagner card in any condition is selling great these days, but for $2 million, I'll take a nice house and a Saleen S7. The only thing going for it is the controversy and noteriety. How many cards have had as much press? There was an entire book dedicated to it...The Card - which is a great read, and will open your eyes to card grading.

As far as the 62nd (I assumed you meant the record-breaker) Mac Ball....this ball was part of a major historical event in the history of baseball. Even if both Mac and Sammy took illegal steroids (neither was PROVEN guilty)...the ball still has value as a historical piece - kind of like the stuff from the Black Sox scandal. They brought the sport to levels it had never been to.

In time, there will be other Wagner cards to surface - like Scott mentioned. If you meant the 63rd ball, since #62 is in Mac's collection, it's not as valuable to me - personally. It is kind of like Aaron's 716th...what did that go for?
    yes to clarify the single season record breaking hr baseball. dont know who owns that baseball.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    yes to clarify the single season record breaking hr baseball. dont know who owns that baseball.
    Joel - as far as I know, Mac still owns #62. It was quite a big deal here in STL, as a grounds keeper found the ball and presented it to Mac after the game ended. His name is Tim Forneris.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

quick google.

McFarlane is doing something positive with the McGwire ball. He also owns six other McGwire home-run balls from 1998 -- Nos. 1, 63, 64, 67, 68 and 69 -- and three Sammy Sosa home-run balls -- Nos. 33, 61 and 66.

Should have done some research but was trying to compare the most expensive card to the most expensive game used item.

Mark McGwire's 70th HR ball sold for $3.1 million and I think THE Card sold privately for around $2.4 million recently.

So which is a better value and why.

Thought this would be interesting to hear people's opinions on this,.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by harpt View Post
    I always wonder how many of those Honus Wagner cards are out there and yet to be discovered. Let's say something crazy happens and 5 of those cards are found in different attics over time...some of them in nice shape. I realize this is highly unlikely, but it is at least possible. These discoveries, obviously, would have an effect on the price of each of these cards.

I doubt there will be a cleaner Honus Wagner card out there so i dont think future discoveries will be the best example out ther. It should not effect the price of that PSA 8 card.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Joel - as far as I know, Mac still owns #62. It was quite a big deal here in STL, as a grounds keeper found the ball and presented it to Mac after the game ended. His name is Tim Forneris.
    Dave, You are correct. Spoken like a true Cardinal Fan
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

you are wrong sir. THe 62 HR ball is currently in the HOF along with the bat mac used to hit it.

Banned

Just to point out as far as the Honus Wagner card, even if more were discovered years later example 1 to 5 cards would have no effect on value because of it still being one of the most rarest cards, desired cards, and in decent conditions cards to come across.

The only possible way the value would change on a Honus Wagner card if someone found a box of 250 of them in there attic in pristine condition.