Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sylbry
    • Nov 2005

Re: Steroids, Collectors Blacklist

Settle down Joel. I thought this thread was started asking people who they won't collect. I think people are free to spend their money as they wish and if they don't feel like purchasing items related to someone they believe might have used steriod it is their decision to make. You do not have to agree with THEIR opinions on THEIR collections.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Comment

• trsent
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

I have no problem with who you won't collect, but listing names because they may have used a drug that was not illegal by the rules of their sport is like creating a blacklist without any proof - Just speculation.

If you came on this board and said, "What dealers will you not buy from because they had a questionable item?" It would be just as tacky.

I love the guy who said it is alright that Fergie Jenkins smoked weed because that didn't influence his performance.

Let me see, if apples make you hit home runs and pears make you pitch faster, then it is ok for a hitter to eat pears?

I confuse myself.

Comment

• Nathan
        • Nov 2005

Joel,

How is that funny? I presented evidence that Joe McCarthy was right more than he was wrong. That's solid, conclusive, slam-dunk evidence, skimmed from both American and Russian sources. The idea that there were NOT communists in high places during the McCarthy era is not only completely erroneous, but absolutely ludicrous to suggest. That's not an opinion, that's absolute fact.

Only someone with their head in the sand would be able to leaf through thousands of pages of evidence and not say "Wow, that's some really damning stuff there".

Don't forget that McCarthy himself was named one of the most respected men in the country in 1954, and that he had the blessing of J Edgar Hoover to conduct investigations. You're going up against over 50 years of investigations, along with mounds of declassified information, to try to sit here and tell me and the rest of the planet that McCarthy was wrong. And THAT would be "too funny" if it wasn't just plain sad.
        Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Comment

• trsent
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

Sorry, 50 plus years later history shows that Joe McCarthy was out of line pointing an innocent people and thus ruining their lives with his allegations. Sure, there may have been bad apples, but he picked on the innocent just as we have here because the people we are accusing of juicing have had nothing proved against them, yet.

Comment

• suave1477
            Banned
            • Jan 2006

I just want to point out that Swoboda is funny!!!!!

At the picture matching of Rosie ODonnel and I beleive that is Darren Daulton I laughed my butt off for about 10 minutes thunbs up Swoboda!!!

Comment

• 2000mvpfan
              • Nov 2005

Darren Daulton????C'mon Suave,that's "The Krukster"-John Kruk!!

....but Rosie still looks like him.
              sigpic
              ...always looking for game-used JASON GIAMBI equipment!

Comment

• Swoboda4
                • Nov 2005

There are taverns that won't allow religion or politics to be discussed. I think I know why now. Anyway,we get the idea(from both sides)about this,both sides have their points. Let's get back to discussing items.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                  • Nov 2005

Andro was sold in health food stores and vitamin stores as muscle builder supplements for decades. Studies show limited muscle value but that didn't stop people from taking it because of all the claims of building muscle mass. It wasn't illegal to buy it over the counter until the FDA ruled on it in 2004 and lumped it into the Anabolic Steroid Control Act.

Here is the warning direct from the FDA website:

The Anabolic Steroid Control Act, signed into law in October 2004, classifies androstenedione and 17 other steroids as controlled substances. As of January 2005, these substances may not be sold without prescription.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced a crackdown on products containing androstenedione, commonly known as "andro." The products are marketed over the counter as dietary supplements that enhance athletic performance. In the body, androstenedione is converted into testosterone and estrogen.

While ads claim that andro-containing supplements promote increased muscle mass, research has not shown this to be the case. In addition, studies have shown side effects and potential long-term risks; androstenedione poses the same kinds of health risks as anabolic steroids. Given the lack of proven benefits and the risks, the FDA is requesting companies to stop distributing dietary supplements containing androstenedione. The FDA is also encouraging Congress to consider legislation to classify these products as a controlled substance.

Potential Long-Term Risks
                  • For men--shrinkage of testicles, growth of breast tissue, impotence
                  • For women--male pattern baldness, increased facial hair, increased risk for breast cancer and endometrial cancer, blood clots
                  • For youth--acne, early start of puberty, stunted growth
                  Regards,
                  Andrew Lang
                  AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                  202-716-8500

Comment

• Nathan
                    • Nov 2005

swoboda,

I'm actually the reason for some of that. I was minding my own business one night and Mr. Big League Hot Shot started trying to tell me that Pitt the Elder was England's greater Prime Minister. Everyone KNOWS it was Lord Palmerston.
                    Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Comment

• suave1477
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2006

2000mvpfan whoops your right my mistake but then again im not a phillies fan so after a while they all start to look a like including Rosie lol lol

Comment

• trsent
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2005

Two interesting articles up on Yahoo! Sports this morning.

I love Steve Finley's quote:

"If there was not a rule, how can you go back and punish people for that?" said the 41-year-old Finley, entering his 18th major league season.

The second article basically makes it clear, Bud Selig cannot win and will have to resign after this whole ordeal.

If the planned investigation into steroid use is as thorough as promised, there can be only one result – Bud Selig's resignation.

Comment

• sylbry
                          • Nov 2005

If this investigation leads to Selig's resignation (which I kind of doubt) I would call it a success.
                          Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Comment

• Yankwood
                            • Nov 2005

I'm still having problems with this theory that it was not against the rules of baseball. IT WAS ILLEGAL ! ! !

Comment

• trsent
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Yankwood
                              I'm still having problems with this theory that it was not against the rules of baseball. IT WAS ILLEGAL ! ! !
                              It was illegal in the court system of the US and A.

It was not illegal in the by-laws of ML and B.

Why? Because they enjoyed saving the game after a strike almost destroyed the game. I canceled my season tickets after they canceled that season.

Comment

• BULBUS
                                • Nov 2005

I'm with yankwood. How can you justify steroid use in baseball on the premise that it is not stated in the mlb handbook that you are not allowed to use them? Since when did MLB become its own country with its own constitution? i believe the laws that govern this country apply to mlb as well
                                Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
                                sigpic
                                donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

Working...