Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Kevin Mitchell Bat -- Gamer or Store bought?

Hi. I have a Rawlings Kevin Mitchell bat that I was going to list on eBay, but the codes and label have me thinking it may be a store bought bat.

The model code is 471X, and it is 36 inches in length. It has a "born date" stamp of 97. I'll try to attach a photo of the label below, but in case I mess it up, it shows the Rawlings R in an oval circle with openings at the top and bottom. Photos I've found so far show the oval as unbroken.

The bat has all the hallmarks of a gamer from lace impressions and ball ink marks to pine tar and rack marks, but I suppose all that could be from some other source.

Please let me know if the prevailing opinion is Mitchell gamer or store bought.

Thanks,

Zeb

Re: Kevin Mitchell Bat -- Gamer or Store bought?

The model number is good. Looks good to me.

can you post a picture of the knob end of the bat? if it has the model #, batch code, and the year stamped, then it is a gamer. these numbers are not stamped into store model bats. was kevin mitchell still in baseball in 97?

Banned

Kevin Mitchell was in baseball in 1997 he played with the cleveland indians for 20 games. His career ended in 1998 with the Oakland Athletics playing 51 games.

Thanks for the input! I was most worried about the label as both the MastroNet Guide and the Birdbats Website don't show this style. Also, the knob code ending in X (see below) was not addressed.

Anyway, looks like the opinion at this time is that it's the real deal, so I will go ahead and list it Sunday evening.

Thanks!

Zeb

yup, thats the real deal.

Your bat looks good. I've heard that trademark logo apparently was used for a time in 1997 -- I don't have any samples to show on my site and never have had any conclusive examples to help me write a description. But a store bat would not have the knob stamp your bat does. That "X" shows up on 36" bats -- "A" and "B" are used on 34" and 35" bats, "S" is used on shorter bats. I've seen "H" on short bats, too.

Jeff
    http://www.birdbats.com

Just to add to it, I have a 1997 Paul Sorrento bat that's black and has the white broken "R" logo on the barrel.

-Jeremy