Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

do you by anythign else but game used/issued?

As sports memorabilia goes, the ONLY thing I will buy or own are game used items. Just wondering if there are any other snobs like me or branch out.

The only jerseys I own are game used. I really thing if it isn't game used it is junk for memorabilia. With that said I do have 3 Bucs mini helmets for decoration in a case with my game used items... And I do think sweet spot signed baseball do look nice (as long as they are OMLB balls)

I would rather have an item that was made for battle, rather than made for marketing.

I know some people would want for example a signed Brett Favre helmet (or some other big namer) and the cost for an authentic helmet vs. game used is $300 to $5,000 or MORE, but I would rather wait for exactly what I want then settle for anything else. I just think if you are going to collect memorabilia, do it right.

I would think that collector who want a specific ricky williams dolphins gamer with heavy use would understand.

Re: do you by anythign else but game used/issued?

spell check is really a wunderful thing.....
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

One thing I am kicking myself for is all these autographed bats I have from the past when I just collected autographs. Just not the same as a true game used bat, and they are taking up space from my new bats.

The other thing to me, why spend money on an autograph baseball or card when I could put that to something nice like a bat or jersey. My collecting ideas changed dramatically, but I think I will stick with the game used hobby.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

I agree, I started collecting autographsa long time ago and kept up with it until 2005, then I tried collecting both autographs and Game used and that was too much so basically now I am strictly game used with a rare autograph here and there.

Mark
    markfd@hotmail.com
    --------------------------
    Always Collecting Nationals and Yankees Game Used Items

I consider myself a generalist basically because I collect little bit of everything. one section i have stopped was cardcollecting.

I have thought about doing the basic psa registry for arod which is 6 cards only.
    But then I looked up those 6 cards ungraded and saw these types of offerings below. Both colored borders on not old vintage cards but rookies 1994 Upperdeck SP and 1994 Score Traded September Call-Up and am having second thoughts of buying cards off ebay and then getting them graded. So this type of tampering is making me weary. Buying the cards already PSA graded wouldn’t be worth it but way safer. Anyone working on a PSA Registered Set?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-SP-Alex-Rod...lenotsupported

http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-Score-R-T-A...lenotsupported
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Joelsabi,
    I do still collect cards because that is what I started collecting some 30+ years ago. My game used obsession started about 5 years ago. I have a Walter Payton basic set registered on the PSA site. Some I bought already graded such as the rookie card, but the majority I bought raw and graded myself. As far as Arod rookies go, when cards are as valuable as the two you referenced, I would not ever buy them raw. First of all, the sellers have to know the difference in prices graded versus raw. Why wouldn't they grade them for $15 and sell them for hundreds more? As far as recoloring goes, through some trials of my own, you can spot recolored cards by looking at the card on its side to see if the ink has seeped through the cardboard. It is very evident on most cards. 1971 Topps cards are one of the years that people recolor. Arod's SP is another. You can also hold them under a black lamp and it sometimes shows the recolored areas as a duller color compared to the original color from the factory. I have been sold many cards that were recolored such as a T206 Cy Young, numerous 71's and even a Marshall Faulk rookie that after I got them in hand I was able to tell from the ways I mentioned earlier. PSA and SGC catches these nearly all the time. So if you are seriously considering buying these cards I would pay the extra and have them graded already. Hope this helps you out somewhat. Let me know if you have any other questions and maybe I can help. Believe me, the game used hobby has its own problems, but through this forum and other collector's knowledge, I for one feel a lot more empowered now than when I started.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottanservitz View Post
    Joelsabi,
    I do still collect cards because that is what I started collecting some 30+ years ago. My game used obsession started about 5 years ago. I have a Walter Payton basic set registered on the PSA site. Some I bought already graded such as the rookie card, but the majority I bought raw and graded myself. As far as Arod rookies go, when cards are as valuable as the two you referenced, I would not ever buy them raw. First of all, the sellers have to know the difference in prices graded versus raw. Why wouldn't they grade them for $15 and sell them for hundreds more? As far as recoloring goes, through some trials of my own, you can spot recolored cards by looking at the card on its side to see if the ink has seeped through the cardboard. It is very evident on most cards. 1971 Topps cards are one of the years that people recolor. Arod's SP is another. You can also hold them under a black lamp and it sometimes shows the recolored areas as a duller color compared to the original color from the factory. I have been sold many cards that were recolored such as a T206 Cy Young, numerous 71's and even a Marshall Faulk rookie that after I got them in hand I was able to tell from the ways I mentioned earlier. PSA and SGC catches these nearly all the time. So if you are seriously considering buying these cards I would pay the extra and have them graded already. Hope this helps you out somewhat. Let me know if you have any other questions and maybe I can help. Believe me, the game used hobby has its own problems, but through this forum and other collector's knowledge, I for one feel a lot more empowered now than when I started.
    Scott
    scott,

thanks for the reply. psa 10 1994 SP Upperdeck Card will set me back more than I would want to pay. Could get a lot of game used stuff for that amount. I am thinking of doing it the hard way which is buying a box or packs and seeing if i just get lucky. also from your suggestion i may need to go to some card show and bring a ruler and look at the edges like you said. about a month ago i cracked a few score traded rookie boxes with my son just to get the sample rookie redemption card and stuck paydirt. that was fun.

its kinda kewl that the guy was honest on ebay and mentioned his bad luck from his 2 psa submissions. i may buy a psa 10 arod card from him.

the master sets and the other sets are ridiculously large. over 2000 cards and anyone can submit other cards of his to add to the list. thats what i got away from when i sold my cards. but buying 6 cards wont be so bad. very obtainable. the september call up card is not on that basic list so its only the SP upperdeck that would be over 1K.

the other thing i might do i just collect 50 aethetically pleasing cards that i can put in one of those wooden display cases.

whats your psa set name? payton was the greatest back.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

This is a pretty good topic.

Myself personally, when I buy game used items I like to leave them the way they are. I buy game issued items to get signed. Sometimes I will substitute game issued jerseys for authentic ones from a sports store to get signed. Why pay $500+ for a game issued item to get signed when I can buy an authentic jersey for $150 and it will look the same framed.

I also hate to buy gmae used items that have already been signed. Anyone else feel this way?If I see a Griffey used bat for a good price but it has already been signed, Ill pass nomatter what the price is.

I believe you have to include other items with a display of game used jerseys , bats,etc to prevent your display from looking like a wall at Modell's and more like Cooprstown,
    I also collect personal letters from players (Amazingly inexpensive ) and '89 Fleer cello packs with Griffey on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    I believe you have to include other items with a display of game used jerseys , bats,etc to prevent your display from looking like a wall at Modell's and more like Cooprstown,
    I also collect personal letters from players (Amazingly inexpensive ) and '89 Fleer cello packs with Griffey on top.

did your wife giveup the display case or did she take it back? its pretty nice case. what is it for again?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com