Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Steroids: Torii Hunter Calls Out Nolan Ryan?

Is this now going to be the future of baseball? Players calling out other players?

It will get ugly.

This was in the USA Today

Outfielder Torii Hunter of the Minnesota Twins called the investigation "stupid" and said there would be no investigation if Bonds weren't chasing the all-time home run record.
    "They can say what they want, but there's no way they would launch an investigation if Barry Bonds was not about to break Babe Ruth's record," Hunter said. "If you are going to dig, dig real deep. Dig into guys like Nolan Ryan. What was he taking? You want to bring guys like that down? I don't think so."

Banned

Re: Steroids: Torii Hunter Calls Out Nolan Ryan?

WOW now thats a hell of a thing to say by Hunter to throw Ryan into this ring!!!

Nolan Ryan was throwing 100 mph in the 60's. Torii Hunter's a big goof. He was also kissing Kirby Puckett's A$$ on TV a couple weeks ago, so his opinion's suck anyway.

Banned

I applaud the baseball players who are making it clear that Bud is out of line because he has decided too late in the game to start investigating. He allowed it to happen until it was too late.

Now, why bring Nolan Ryan into this debate, I have no clue, but Torii Hunter is a fun baseball player to watch so I will listen to him until his comments get really stupid.

Nolan should say: "Torrey who?"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Is this now going to be the future of baseball? Players calling out other players?

It will get ugly.

This was in the USA Today

Outfielder Torii Hunter of the Minnesota Twins called the investigation "stupid" and said there would be no investigation if Bonds weren't chasing the all-time home run record.
    "They can say what they want, but there's no way they would launch an investigation if Barry Bonds was not about to break Babe Ruth's record," Hunter said. "If you are going to dig, dig real deep. Dig into guys like Nolan Ryan. What was he taking? You want to bring guys like that down? I don't think so."
    Torii Hunter is an idiot. He's about to break Babe Ruth's record for what? Hank Aaron has the record. Again, we have to listen to racism from black players.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood
    Torii Hunter is an idiot. He's about to break Babe Ruth's record for what? Hank Aaron has the record. Again, we have to listen to racism from black players.
    Did I miss something where Hunter pulled the race card?

I think he was trying to make us think that maybe Ryan took steroids? It is a dumb comment, sure, but he never mentioned race!

Seligs timing is way off.The start of the baseball season doesn't need this now,it could very easliy been done after the Senate hearings(if that wasn't enough to tell Selig there was trouble)-BUT-the players crying about being asked steriod questions all over again(Torre:Isn't somebody going to investigate how the Grand Jury got leaked" and Sheffield:"This is a waste of my time") sounds like when criminals who are arrested/caught complain about the method used to catch them("where's the search warrant" or "I didn't know I was in a stolen car"). You should have seen Torre's face when a new line of questioning(in regard to steriods)was asked,"When did YOU realize something was going on in your clubhose".Giambi had a person trainer wandering free around the Yankee clubhouse 2 seasons ago when he was told that's enough-but Torre doesn't suspect a thing. Listen how does this effect us?-plenty. When all our G/U items from certain players aren't worth what we hoped, we'll see then. Gun to the head who who's game used stuff would you want now,Bonds or Griffey-tell the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent
    Did I miss something where Hunter pulled the race card?

I think he was trying to make us think that maybe Ryan took steroids? It is a dumb comment, sure, but he never mentioned race!
    Hunter said that there would be no investigation if Bonds wasn't about to break "Ruth's record". He's claiming that "baseball" doesn't want a white guy's record broken. His erreor is, Ruth doesn't have the record. Aaron does, so he's made another stupid comment. If he had said that they don't want him to eclipse Ruth's total or pass Ruth's total, this would make sense but to claim that MLB doesn't want him to break Ruth's "record" he's inferring that MLB still wants a white guy on top. Like I said, Hunter should just shut up anyway. He's already shown his intelligence.

Yankwood - I came to the same conclusion as you did regarding Torii's comments.

Torii got himself on the front page. Not sure why he dragged Nolan Ryan's name into it except for shock effect. But then again, many people on this forum have done the same thing with their speculation on certain players.

Like Torii did with Nolan Ryan's name, I don't agree with any public blacklist except the guys that either were caught by MLB, wrote their own self-glorifying books on steroids, or were found guilty in the courts, and of course when a coroner confirms the corpse had steroids in their body.

I am talking about throwing Brady Anderson onto a backlist because he hit 50 HRs for the Orioles is just plain not right.

The steroid issue may do to baseball more damage than the strikes did.