Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Early Mickey Mantle signature is it good?

I wish I still had - or could remember the name of an autograph book I use to own.

Mantle did actually use to sign with more pointed 'M' s (not as dramatic as this) and was 'trained' to sign the 'looping' signature by his secretary for a couple of reasons:

1) He had so many requests for autos that his regular auto took too long so she created the 'looping' sig

2) He had to learn how to do it so his 'in person' sig didn't vary so much from his 'ttm' sig.

The book I had included and entire chapter just on Mantle's sig because of his popularity... in fact, his facsimile sig on some of his earlier cards is how he originally signed like the image below:

I have only seen a couple of legitimate ones like that though.

If you decide to sell the ball, I might be interested as I collect vintage/older baseballs (with or without sigs)...

- Chris

chris

Do you this it could be a good early Mantle signature? It is not a stamped autographed. The ink is correct faded greenish blue. of several baseballs i have from the 50's

Thanks
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JCC1968 View Post
    chris

Do you this it could be a good early Mantle signature? It is not a stamped autographed. The ink is correct faded greenish blue. of several baseballs i have from the 50's

Thanks
    Jason
    Jason -

I use to own a NICE early Mantle sig (similar to the card I used previously) that was in an Autograph book I picked up in a flea market lot that also included many other Yankees of the 50's and 60's as well as a few 'Old Timers'.... Unfortunately, that all went away with my divorce from the 1st wife...

Anyway....

My SINGLE biggest concern with your Mantle AU (besides how 'pointy' the M's are) is that I have NEVER seen a Mantle AU where he 'underlined' his sig like the one on your ball.

I'm no pro, but my guess would be that the sig is VINTAGE, just not Mantle... maybe some kid trying to pull a fast one on a friend or something.

Like I said earlier, I would be interested in the ball as I need a Harridge for the collection, but I would not put any value in the sig based on what information I have available and what I have been able to find....

This statement:

"Signatures can change markedly over a person's life.

"If you study Mickey Mantle, he had at least five or six different periods in his life where his signature changed slightly," Albersheim explained."

came from this Article:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...exemplars.html

I know is probably not what you want to hear, but it's probably the best I can give you right now...

All the best -

Chris

Send it to Mike Frost at P.A.A.S he is the best on Mickey Mantle in the industry, he knew Mickey very well and did many many signings with him. Watch this on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kblEf9aJuVU

Do you need just a blank Harridge for your collection?

Banned

HERES A GREAT EXAMPLE OF A ROOKIE ERA MANTLE AUTOGRAPH ON A EARLY 50'S YANKEES PROGRAM

I'm not sure how many of you watch Antiques Roadshow (AR) but this past weeks AR episode was filmed in Wichita, KS. There was a lady whose grandfather owned the Independence Yankees. This particular portion focused on the 1949 Independence Yankees of which a young man named Mickey Mantle played for. Evidently this was his first professional team/year. The grandfather somehow retained all the canceled checks that he issued to the players. Anyways, long story short the lady had 5 canceled checks issued to and endorsed by Mickey Mantle. The significance of these checks are that they're dated 1949. The auction professional indicated this is one of the earliest Mantle signatures ever seen. Just food for thought. You can watch old episodes online, the link to the Mantle signature is below....enjoy!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200803A21.html

Ryan

Michael Frost & Mickey Mantle..
    Where is Grad & Mickey???????
    www.paasautographs.com
    Mike Frost: President of Professional Autograph Authentication Services . President of Collectables of the Stars established in New York in 1982. Mike Frost was the first to have Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Willie Mays and Duke Snider for in-store signings. Mike Frost formed a close friendship with Mickey Mantle, Muhammad Ali and many other superstars during the 1980's and 1990's. Mike Frost is a co-founder and past President of the International Autograph Collectors Club & Dealer Alliance, first President of the Gold Coast Autograph Club, and recipient of the UACC Certificate of Appreciation Award (1991).
    Mike Frost has been featured on The Maury Povich Show, Geraldo Rivera Show, Hard Copy, The Howard Stern Show, HBO, and Showtime. Mike Frost is one of the premier authenticators for the Topps Company. Mike Frost has over 30 years experience in the autograph industry and is one of the few universally respected authorities. Mike has worked with and authenticated for some of the biggest sports memorabilia companies and auction houses in the world.
    Mike Frost has obtained over 45,000 autographs in person and has authenticated over 7500 autographs. Michael Frost is a true pioneer in the autograph hobby and autograph authentication industry. Mike Frost has worked hand and hand with 100's of athletes and celebrities with private signings and personal appearances.