Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Sales Tax on Auction Item?

If I live in one state (PA) and I win an auction by a company in another state (IL), am I required to pay sales tax? Sorry for the naive question. Thanks.

Re: Sales Tax on Auction Item?

It depends. If the auction company has nexus in PA then yes. Without getting into a discussion of nexus, minimal physical presence, Quill, ect... I will say they probobly do not and they should not be charging you sales tax. The flip side is you probobly owe use tax on the purchase in PA. Not that anyone really pays use tax though.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Ohio came out last year and threateningly announced that they were going to track out-of-state purchases and start charging tax, and that we all should just admit on our taxes that we haven't been paying, estimate a total, and pay up.

Somehow, I forgot to do that on my last tax return.

Ken

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Ohio came out last year and threateningly announced that they were going to track out-of-state purchases and start charging tax, and that we all should just admit on our taxes that we haven't been paying, estimate a total, and pay up.

Somehow, I forgot to do that on my last tax return.

Ken
    Ken, do states that have in-state sales tax require when a consumer buys an item out of state that they pay sales tax on the item to their own state? That would be really hard to track.

Supposedly there is a rule, at least in Ohio, but yes, it's too hard to track. That's why it's generally ignored.

Ken