All Babe Ruth Bat Experts....please Help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • encinorick
    • Nov 2005

Re: All Babe Ruth Bat Experts....please Help!

Vintageauthentics:

"Lot 7: Babe Ruth 1920's-Early 1930's Game Used Bat A6"

Seems pretty clear, doesn't it?

Comment

• DoctorLoomis
      • Nov 2007

On the contrary....second paragraph, fifth sentence....it says "Ruth Gamer".
      ALWAYS buying PHOTO MATCHED Marcus Allen and Anfernee Hardaway jerseys. Also always buying Tennessee Volunteer jerseys and anything Tony Delk.

Comment

• b.heagy
        • May 2006

Originally posted by encinorick
        Vintageauthentics:

"Lot 7: Babe Ruth 1920's-Early 1930's Game Used Bat A6"

Seems pretty clear, doesn't it?

Not really. It's a Babe Ruth model bat that is game used. I read that clearly in the description however, not every buyer may read it the same way. I see both sides of the coin.
        Bill Heagy
        heagysports.com
        Go Phillies !

Comment

• b.heagy
          • May 2006

Originally posted by DoctorLoomis
          On the contrary....second paragraph, fifth sentence....it says "Ruth Gamer".
          "The optimal significant game use evidence you would expect from a Ruth gamer is highlighted by heavy ball and stitch marks as well as cleat marks across the barrel - another Ruth specific trait."

Is what is says. Show me where it says Babe Ruth used this bat.
          Bill Heagy
          heagysports.com
          Go Phillies !

Comment

• encinorick
            • Nov 2005

Bill: Let me guess, you have one of those subprime loans, right?

Dave mentioned before about "deceptive practices," you should review.
            You can't represent something to the general public that's not true or accurate. The courts look at advertisement through the eyes are the everyday consumer, "the reasonable man" with no particular expertise or knowledge about the item. It interpets the "literal meaning" of words.
            I could go on, but, I won't bore you.

Good luck with the subprime thing.

Comment

• b.heagy
              • May 2006

Rick,
              No need to take a shot at me. Personal attacks not appreciated. I understand your position. I too believe the buyer should know exactly what they are buying. I also strongly believe that it is up to the buyer to educate themselves and undersand what they are buying. If a collector can afford to spend thousands of dollars on an item for hobby fun then they should be able to study about the item of interest and learn as much as they can. Not every collector is as fortunate as yourself. I have items that I was fooled on years ago that I cannot get my money back on. The price of learning I guess.
              Bill Heagy
              heagysports.com
              Go Phillies !

Comment

• CollectGU
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by b.heagy
                Rick,
                No need to take a shot at me. Personal attacks not appreciated. I understand your position. I too believe the buyer should know exactly what they are buying. I also strongly believe that it is up to the buyer to educate themselves and undersand what they are buying.

I too believe collectors should educate themselves but it should not be a prerquisite to collecting. There are many out there that have a passion to own and display these items but have no interest in learning how to spot a real from a fake. People buy Warhol paintings from Sotheby's and Christies without knowing how to spot the difference between the real and the fakes becasue they trust the due dilligence done by the auction house is solid and they are purchasing an authentic piece. Why, with sports memorabilia, is blame often laid on the buyer?

Regards,
                Dave

Comment

• DoctorLoomis
                  • Nov 2007

You stated nowhere does it say this bat was used by Ruth. I submit that nowhere does it say it was not. The burden of proof is not on the buyer. The auction house carries that burden.

The simple way to approach this bat is as I said previously....stay away from it.
                  ALWAYS buying PHOTO MATCHED Marcus Allen and Anfernee Hardaway jerseys. Also always buying Tennessee Volunteer jerseys and anything Tony Delk.

Comment

• yanks12025
                    • Jan 2006

Do you plan on bidding on it because your really telling us to stay away from it.

Comment

• b.heagy
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by CollectGU
                      I too believe collectors should educate themselves but it should not be a prerquisite to collecting. There are many out there that have a passion to own and display these items but have no interest in learning how to spot a real from a fake. People buy Warhol paintings from Sotheby's and Christies without knowing how to spot the difference between the real and the fakes becasue they trust the due dilligence done by the auction house is solid and they are purchasing an authentic piece. Why, with sports memorabilia, is blame often laid on the buyer?

Regards,
                      Dave

The more educated the buyer, the better the hobby. The less questionable items will be sold for big money, little money, whatever. The point is people should take the time to absorb as much knowledge as possible in the collecting interest that they desire. Not blaming the buyer, just want to see more people take the time to learn about what they love. Auction houses make misakes like everyone else, it is how they handle items brought into question that separates the bad from the good.
                      Bill Heagy
                      heagysports.com
                      Go Phillies !

Comment

• b.heagy
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by DoctorLoomis
                        You stated nowhere does it say this bat was used by Ruth. I submit that nowhere does it say it was not. The burden of proof is not on the buyer. The auction house carries that burden.

The simple way to approach this bat is as I said previously....stay away from it.

We both made our points. I see mine, and I see yours. We agree to disagree on the fact that he did/did not use the bat. I agree with you on the fact that the best thing to do is to stay away from any item if there is any doubt, no brainer.
                        Bill Heagy
                        heagysports.com
                        Go Phillies !

Comment

• DoctorLoomis
                          • Nov 2007

Dear Yanks...no I will not be bidding on it. Furthermore I sense a little hostility in your comment. The reason I am saying stay away is because I dont want to see someone get smoked for 5-10 grand for a bat that was never anywhere near Babe Ruth. Thats why I am part of this forum....to uphold the integrity of our hobby. I consider it an honor thing. Dont you?

Comment

• yanks12025
                            • Jan 2006

We dont know for sure if Babe Ruth was ever near this bat. In many posts, me and also another member said the yankees used Zinn beck 300 models.

Comment

• fromcooperstowntohollywood
                              • May 2008

You don't know if Ruth was ever near this bat, but you also don't know if he was. This is a reckless thread that boasts your own hypotheses, when in reality, none of you can claim with 100% certainty anything about the bat. It was graded an A6, not an A10. However, A10 Ruth bats vary in weight from 34 ounces to 47. There are photos of Ruth using Zinn Beck bats. There are more photos of Ruth using 125 models. I don't believe there are any photos of Ruth using 250 model bats, but there are order records. Get over it. Encinorick, you make your claims because you believe you were deceived by Mastro. Whether you were or not, you got your money back.

Comment

• encinorick
                                • Nov 2005

From cooperstown to hollywood, I guess that covers everthing, doesn't it? Does it include everything in between as well?

Apparently you fashion yourself an expert. You have pictures and records and this and that information from here and there, and perhaps a dead body from the 1920's that talks, too.

I don't, I am a fan that collects sports stuff, simple as that. If an Auction House represents itself as an "expert" and wants to sell me something, it better be truthful and honest. When the title of the item says "Babe Ruth 1920's to Early 1930's Game Used" a "reasonable person" would interpet the literal language as a bat used by Babe Ruth in a game.

Be careful, my friend, hollywood is not far from encino, and I'll be watching you.

Comment

Working...