Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: All Babe Ruth Bat Experts....please Help!

Rick,
    No need to take a shot at me. Personal attacks not appreciated. I understand your position. I too believe the buyer should know exactly what they are buying. I also strongly believe that it is up to the buyer to educate themselves and undersand what they are buying. If a collector can afford to spend thousands of dollars on an item for hobby fun then they should be able to study about the item of interest and learn as much as they can. Not every collector is as fortunate as yourself. I have items that I was fooled on years ago that I cannot get my money back on. The price of learning I guess.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Quote Originally Posted by b.heagy View Post
    Rick,
    No need to take a shot at me. Personal attacks not appreciated. I understand your position. I too believe the buyer should know exactly what they are buying. I also strongly believe that it is up to the buyer to educate themselves and undersand what they are buying.

I too believe collectors should educate themselves but it should not be a prerquisite to collecting. There are many out there that have a passion to own and display these items but have no interest in learning how to spot a real from a fake. People buy Warhol paintings from Sotheby's and Christies without knowing how to spot the difference between the real and the fakes becasue they trust the due dilligence done by the auction house is solid and they are purchasing an authentic piece. Why, with sports memorabilia, is blame often laid on the buyer?

Regards,
    Dave

You stated nowhere does it say this bat was used by Ruth. I submit that nowhere does it say it was not. The burden of proof is not on the buyer. The auction house carries that burden.

The simple way to approach this bat is as I said previously....stay away from it.

Do you plan on bidding on it because your really telling us to stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    I too believe collectors should educate themselves but it should not be a prerquisite to collecting. There are many out there that have a passion to own and display these items but have no interest in learning how to spot a real from a fake. People buy Warhol paintings from Sotheby's and Christies without knowing how to spot the difference between the real and the fakes becasue they trust the due dilligence done by the auction house is solid and they are purchasing an authentic piece. Why, with sports memorabilia, is blame often laid on the buyer?

Regards,
    Dave

The more educated the buyer, the better the hobby. The less questionable items will be sold for big money, little money, whatever. The point is people should take the time to absorb as much knowledge as possible in the collecting interest that they desire. Not blaming the buyer, just want to see more people take the time to learn about what they love. Auction houses make misakes like everyone else, it is how they handle items brought into question that separates the bad from the good.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorLoomis View Post
    You stated nowhere does it say this bat was used by Ruth. I submit that nowhere does it say it was not. The burden of proof is not on the buyer. The auction house carries that burden.

The simple way to approach this bat is as I said previously....stay away from it.

We both made our points. I see mine, and I see yours. We agree to disagree on the fact that he did/did not use the bat. I agree with you on the fact that the best thing to do is to stay away from any item if there is any doubt, no brainer.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Dear Yanks...no I will not be bidding on it. Furthermore I sense a little hostility in your comment. The reason I am saying stay away is because I dont want to see someone get smoked for 5-10 grand for a bat that was never anywhere near Babe Ruth. Thats why I am part of this forum....to uphold the integrity of our hobby. I consider it an honor thing. Dont you?

We dont know for sure if Babe Ruth was ever near this bat. In many posts, me and also another member said the yankees used Zinn beck 300 models.

You don't know if Ruth was ever near this bat, but you also don't know if he was. This is a reckless thread that boasts your own hypotheses, when in reality, none of you can claim with 100% certainty anything about the bat. It was graded an A6, not an A10. However, A10 Ruth bats vary in weight from 34 ounces to 47. There are photos of Ruth using Zinn Beck bats. There are more photos of Ruth using 125 models. I don't believe there are any photos of Ruth using 250 model bats, but there are order records. Get over it. Encinorick, you make your claims because you believe you were deceived by Mastro. Whether you were or not, you got your money back.

From cooperstown to hollywood, I guess that covers everthing, doesn't it? Does it include everything in between as well?

Apparently you fashion yourself an expert. You have pictures and records and this and that information from here and there, and perhaps a dead body from the 1920's that talks, too.

I don't, I am a fan that collects sports stuff, simple as that. If an Auction House represents itself as an "expert" and wants to sell me something, it better be truthful and honest. When the title of the item says "Babe Ruth 1920's to Early 1930's Game Used" a "reasonable person" would interpet the literal language as a bat used by Babe Ruth in a game.

Be careful, my friend, hollywood is not far from encino, and I'll be watching you.