Re: Nolan Ryan game used Astros rainbow jersey on ebay

I thought I remembered a patch on the 86's
    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• Rob L
      • Nov 2005

You may want to read #14 of this thread by 012562 regarding a dealer who sold identical Goodman and Sons tagged jerseys of the star players in the mid-1980s. Interesting read:

Rob L
      loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Comment

• dcrules01
        • Nov 2005

Wow great read I wonder what happened to the Mets ones...
        Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• trsent
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

Re: Nolan Ryan game used Astros rainbow jersey on eBay

I received an email today from an associate of mine who I have examine game used baseball jerseys who told me he is suspicious of the stitching of the tag in the next.

Same thoughts Rudy posted previously about.

Comment

• MikeSharon
            • Aug 2006

Goodman never put tags in the necks of Astros jerseys until the Astros started wearing button up uniforms in 1990 . They stopped wearing the Rainbow jersey after the 86 season. I know that goodman sold off alot of samples after the astros stopped wearing that uniform style. I own several 84-86 Rainbows and have seen dozens they ALL have the tags in the tail just like the cream and home whites do. There is no way that this jersey is authentic its has the tag in the wrong place.
            Mike Sharon

Comment

• commando
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by MikeSharon
              Goodman never put tags in the necks of Astros jerseys until the Astros started wearing button up uniforms in 1990 . They stopped wearing the Rainbow jersey after the 86 season. I know that goodman sold off alot of samples after the astros stopped wearing that uniform style. I own several 84-86 Rainbows and have seen dozens they ALL have the tags in the tail just like the cream and home whites do. There is no way that this jersey is authentic its has the tag in the wrong place.
              Mike Sharon
              Hi Mike,

I have been trying to get in touch... Would you please email me at policefan71@yahoo.com ? Thanks! -- Anthony
              sigpic
              Anthony Nunez
              Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
              www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Comment

• flaco1801
                • Nov 2005

was the 1976 sand knit the only year they used a single color sewn on number? anyone have one? thanks, jeff

Comment

• MikeSharon
                  • Aug 2006

my email is george.sharon@cyfairvfd.org I cant log on to it from work so ill try to email you thisafternoon

In 1976 they used a single color for the number on back and in 1975 they used a single color for the number but it was inside a large white circle(bullet hole)

Comment

• suave1477
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by DoctorLoomis
                    Here is one of the finest Ryan gamers Ive seen in auction. The tag is in the NECK.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...uction_ID=9971

Mikesharon so your saying this was another fake Jersey? Am I correct???

Makes me wonder DoctorLoomis what makes you feel this is such a great example????

Comment

• buc
                      • Sep 2008

According to Bushing and Kinunen, the tagging from the Memory Lane jersey (84-85) is in the neck, which matches their exemplars. If it matches the examples they have or have seen, do they own bad examples?

Comment

• kingjammy24
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by buc
                        According to Bushing and Kinunen, the tagging from the Memory Lane jersey (84-85) is in the neck, which matches their exemplars. If it matches the examples they have or have seen, do they own bad examples?
                        interesting idea isn't it? authenticating by matching it up against your other examples automatically assumes your other examples are 100% legit. if they aren't, you're just going to keep making the same errors over and over.

reminds of how lon lewis had the mcauliffe order sheets for the A's from 1968-80 and those order sheets show reggie jackson ordering only size 42 jerseys from 1972-76. no size 44s. despite that, mears has authenticated numerous jackson A's jerseys from that time period that are 44s. when confronted with the order sheets, mears justified it by saying the 44s were "in their database". [whoopdee doo. a database is only as good (or bad) as the data in it.] mears then amended one of their loas to say that "the McAuliffe order sheets show them shipping size 42 jerseys for Jackson but there are known size 44 jerseys existing.". again, it's false logic isn't it? just because 44s exist doesn't mean they're legit. anyhoo, back to the original post, there are times when mears seems to work backwards by saying that if something's in their database then it must be legit and therefore all things are measured up against their database. yeah well, nice theory but what if items in their database are bad?

anyway there's a lot of talk about whether the tag should be in the collar or the body. important fact no doubt. however, for me, i'd think the discussion would pretty much be moot in light of the fact that the tag is sewn via a zig-zag stitch. if the tag is sewn incorrectly then i don't know what other conclusions are possible. seems pretty clear cut to me.

rudy.

Comment

• buc
                          • Sep 2008

Rudy,
                          Ryan continued to order Goodman jerseys custom made for him after Houston began ordering from other suppliers. Did you know that his were the only Goodman jerseys ordered? Could they have been stitched differently since his were the only ones Goodman made?

Comment

• kingjammy24
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by buc
                            Rudy,
                            Ryan continued to order Goodman jerseys custom made for him after Houston began ordering from other suppliers. Did you know that his were the only Goodman jerseys ordered? Could they have been stitched differently since his were the only ones Goodman made?
                            goodman didn't supply many MLB teams and past a certain point, it seems they pretty much only supplied ryan. when ryan was on the rangers, the entire team wore rawlings and later, russell, and ryan was still wearing goodman. so yeah, i figured his were the only goodmans ordered. when you ask if they could've been stitched differently since his were the only ones made, stitched differently than what? than all of the other jerseys goodman produced for him? the goodmans that ryan wore while on the rangers had the typical straight stitch. goodmans ordered while on the astros show the same straight stitch. this is the first goodman ryan jersey i've ever seen with a zig-zag stitched mfr tag.

rudy.

Comment

• Canseco44
                              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by suave1477
                              Mikesharon so your saying this was another fake Jersey? Am I correct???

Makes me wonder DoctorLoomis what makes you feel this is such a great example????

If this is true, and the only good Astros Rainbow Ryan jerseys are tagged in the tail, then there are gonna be some pi**ed off people who bought from American Memorabilia. They have sold no less than three, with prices ranging from $3,368;$2,827; to $11,492, all with the tag in the collar. The only one they have sold with it on the tail is a non-rainbow warmup that only sold for $806!

Todd Ricks
                              Todd Ricks
                              www.freewebs.com/canseco44
                              Always looking for Canseco Game Used Items
                              Spideyman79@yahoo.com

Comment

• lead bat
                                • Nov 2008

Does anyone know the final price of the Ryan Rainbow that went out yesterday on ebay?

Comment

Working...