Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Opinions David Wright rookie jersey

So I won this jersey on ebay did some research and have gathered different opinions from a few different people that I trust in the hobby.I also contacted Eric at Stitches that is where the Mets get there jerseys done when players are called up etc traded etc.In Erics opinion the jersey was doneby them because of the customizing stitching and it is not uncommon to have a player wear a jersey tagged as an extra the following season especially a rookie.Jersey shows light use the wash tag 0062 is faded so it was washed and it could have only been used in 34 road games that year in 04 because Wright was called up late July.HGere are some photos tell me what you think jersey came from grey flannel and I also believe it was sold by Lelands in 06.Here is the link to Lelands and here are pics of the jersey
    http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=638&auctionid=611

Re: Opinions David Wright rookie jersey

From what I can gather in speaking to Eric & Russ at Stitches it is not uncommon for the Mets to send Stitches jerseys from previous years to get customized for a current player if they are in need of a jersey. Charlie Samuels has an inventory of jerseys in various sizes that he keeps at Shea. Whenever he needs a jersey right away he finds one in the right size and has it customized the year tag on the jersey is not something that he worries about, as long as the jersey is the right size it is getting done. Stitches has customized jerseys for the Mets with previous years tags on them as well as jerseys that had no year tags on them at all.

That jersey was most likely customized by Stitches, it has the same arch in the name placement that they use when they customize jerseys unlike the jerseys customized by Majestic that are almost straight across the back. It is difficult to 100% verify that jersey because the Mets did not have an agreement with Steiner and MLB did not authenticate jerseys with the numbered stickers until 2005. (I think that is when they started)

Everything points to that being legit (Gray Flannel COA Leyland's auction picture, Eric and Russ's opinion and verification of the year tag possibly being used in 2004) but a photomatch would be the only way to seal the deal. I checked Getty but they only have one picture of Wright in a road jersey in 2004 in a game against the Giants and the picture does not show the front or the back of the jersey.

Hey you can always send it to Lou Lampson and ask his opinion! LOL!

i sent those pics to the gal who i know that used to do the customizing at stiches, waiting for her reply...

Wow, that is tough to tell from that Upper Deck card, but it sure does look close. The W seems to match up along the blue line, but the angle makes it hard to say on where the blue line goes through the Y.

I think that dcrules01 has another set Wright wore because there is a thread sticking out on top of the "W" that doesn't appear to show on his jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by flaco1801 View Post
    i sent those pics to the gal who i know that used to do the customizing at stiches, waiting for her reply...
    Both Eric and Russ at Stitches said that it is likely that they did that jersey because of the stitching and the arch of the name on the back of the jersey. They can not say 100% but it matches their work.

There is some fraying on the numbers and name it shows light use Im pretty confident myself but everyone knows the old slogan unless the player actually hands you the jersey you never know..It seems to match the one Lelands had up a few years ago and as Carmello stated I emailed Russ at Stitches and Eric replied saying it looked like there work.I emailed Kyle with that photo and he said it wasnt a match im on the hunt for more photos but there seem to be very few from his rookie campaign in the road black..Thanks guys for your replies

looks authentic to me. looks like stitches' work, no doubt in my mind. i know eric, and i know russ. i would also take their word, as russ is the owner and eric is the person who presses all numbers and lettering. jeff, feel free to post this if you like. i stand by my word.

as a david wright collector i'm drooling.i'd love to have that jersey in my collection.