Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Burned by a Dick Dobbins LOA

Just got an email back from Bill Henderson regarding the Jim Abbott warmup jersey from 1989. Based on Bill's assessment, the jersey is a retail version, even though it has a LOA from Dick Dobbins, addressed to the original purchaser whom I bought the jersey from. Bill made very clear points which suggest that it is actually a retail jersey. Anyone ever purchased a jersey that initially came from Dobbins that was proven to be otherwise?
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

Re: Burned by a Dick Dobbins LOA

NEVER! Dick was the most upright and honest person I have ever known. Henderson's cd is full of mistakes right and left. Ask someone who knows jerseys, like Lon Lewis, who was very close to Dick. Lon is a member of this forum.

I agree! Dick Dobbins word/opinion is golden. Never in all my years ever heard anything negative nor a mistake made by Dobbins...
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

I agree and would go so far as to say even if it was retail jersey and Dobbins said it was used and worn in a game for some reason -- that it would be a legit gamer.

If there is something that doesn't match up, I'd would look more into the jersey and LOA going together before I would question Dobbins.

Banned

Just so you know it has been known very rare but known that a player can use a retail Jersey for actual game use.

Example if he already went through the jerseys he had. The equipment manager might grab a retail and have it made up for the player.

It is possible.

Rob,

Sorry to hear about it. I was skeptical of that jersey, as well. The problems I had was that the front "A" didn't match the photos of Abbott in the similar BP jersey. The other thing I noticed was that the jersey was purchased from the minor league team division. I am from the Quad Cities (which was an Angels affiliate) so I know that minor league teams wore these as well. Perhaps it could have been a hand me down (as the letter states) however, it could also just as easily have been a replacement done by the minor league teams.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

I wasn't worried by the halo in the A because the photos of Abbott are in the Rawlings jersey. I'm more bummed that it appears the LOA is wrong. This jersey was purchased in 1994 by a forum member and I purchased it from him. He's definitely did not do anything nefarious. I am 100% convinced the jersey and LOA match. Maybe it is a minor league issue and the LOA is just wrong. Definitely doesn't look good.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

here are abbott's 1989 and 1990 fleer cards respectively. interesting given that he was never recorded as wearing #60. my guess is that both photos are from 1989 spring training. who knows how long he actually wore #60 for but he probably switched to #25 before the regular season began. also shown is a 1989 card of wally joyner. no sleeve logo and a "majestic" style "A" on the "Angels" logo.

rudy.

Here's the email from Bill. I will post complete photos of the jersey and LOA when I'm back in my office on Monday.

Hi Rob,

I finally had time to look through your photos.

I would conclude that yours is a store-bought jersey and was not team issued or game worn. The tip is the ghosts of the Majestic lettering on the sleeve. Majestic put these on store bought jerseys in this timeframe. Your jersey would also have had a small embroidered applique of the MLB Silhouetted batter glued just above the team logo, but with washing these eventually all fall off. Not sure if you have an older version of my Guide, but in the 2007 4th edition this is illustrated on page 113.

The marketing of authentic BP jerseys in that era was complex, with Majestic having the rights to make store bought authentics even when they didn't have the contract for the game worn uniforms used on the field. Some teams wore the Majestic logo on their sleeves, but on gamers it was embroidered into the sleeve (also pictured in the guide on page 113).

Nevertheless, a nice surviving example of an old style!

Bill Henderson
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Hey all,

Here are photos of the jersey as well as the LOA.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net