Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • allstarsplus
    • Nov 2005

Re: OT - Sports Paintings & Illustrations

There is actually a Sports Art museum in Alabama called The American Sport Art Museum and Archives (ASAMA).

Each year they recognize a top "Sports" artist. It is a great eclectic collection so there is something for everyone. Art is so subjective so like joelsabi who finds Peter Max cheesy; however, he likes Dick Perez or perhaps may like another photo realistic artist.

Also in this next Huggins and Scott auction they have several pages dedicated to sports art. I consigned 5 pieces of art to them since they were doing so much art. Probably some good bargains to be had!

Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by suave1477
      JOELSABI THE ARTIST NAME IS JAMES FIORENTINO

HERE IS HIS WEBSITE

http://www.jamesfiorentino.com/news.php?select=8
      thanks suave,

i took that photo from his website. maybe he drew something similar before. that reverential pose is my favorite shot of his.

anyone know if there a famous photo of clemente that served as the inspiration of this artwork?
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• Tedw9
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by allstarsplus
        Art is so subjective so like joelsabi who finds Peter Max cheesy; however, he likes Dick Perez or perhaps may like another photo realistic artist.
        Very well put when it comes to art. It is very subjective and not everyones taste runs in the same vein. I only have one piece, it was done by an artist out of Denver whos name is Rob Wood. I've always wanted a true piece of art and his was affordable enough so I could have one. His work is along the lines of Peter Max I believe. I would post a pic, but the last time I posted it on a board everyone told me they hated it. But that's ok, I like it. And last month I was able to get it signed by the athlete, so now I really love it.

A few weeks ago, SCD's website had art of some lady from Canada. It was amazing. I saved a pic, here is a copy of it. If I remember correctly this was done with pencil.

Comment

• suave1477
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

One of my favorite sports artists is Gary Longordo - hes art uses vibrant colors. Click at the bottom of his page to (shop online) and you can see all his sports artwork.

Comment

• suave1477
            Banned
            • Jan 2006

Another amazinf artist is Stephen Holland- his work is a bit pricey but I think worth it if you have a sports memorabilia room to put one in.

I recommend looking up these pieces he did.

Alex Rodriguez
            Babe Ruth
            Albert Pujols
            Lou Gherig
            Nolan Ryan
            Michael Jordan
            Tiger Woods
            Roger Clemens
            Sandy Koufax

Comment

• allstarsplus
              • Nov 2005

Another amazinf artist is Stephen Holland- his work is a bit pricey but I think worth it if you have a sports memorabilia room to put one in.

I recommend looking up these pieces he did.

Alex Rodriguez
              Babe Ruth
              Albert Pujols
              Lou Gherig
              Nolan Ryan
              Michael Jordan
              Tiger Woods
              Roger Clemens
              Sandy Koufax
              Suave - Great pieces!!! I have all of those in inventory except the Nolan Ryan. If I can help you out with a GUF discount, let me know!!!

DomainMarket.com sells premium domain names to entrepreneurs, businesses, and nonprofits that want to dominate their online marketplaces and control great brands.

-
              Regards,
              Andrew Lang
              AllstarsPlus@aol.com
              202-716-8500

Comment

• suave1477
                Banned
                • Jan 2006

Andrew unfortunately at those prices I can't do it.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                  • Nov 2005

Andrew unfortunately at those prices I can't do it.
                  That's why there is the GUF discount!!!
                  Regards,
                  Andrew Lang
                  AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                  202-716-8500

Comment

• suave1477
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2006

Andrew I am sure even with the discount it is still way out of my range of what I would be willing to pay.

Unless your doing a recession after christmas discount like the department stores up to 90% off lol lol

Thanks but I appreciate the offer.

Comment

• allstarsplus
                      • Nov 2005

Re: Slightly OT: Sports Art - Any Opinions?

Outside The Lines and Jeremy Schaap on ESPN did a great piece on the impact of the black athlete on society such as Jackie Robinson, Ali, Jesse Owens, Joe Louis, Doug Williams, and others.

As I am watching the show, over Jeremy Schaaps' shoulder is a Stephen Holland painting of Jackie Robinson he did last year.

It was cool to see as we have sold many of those paintings directly to some well known African American athletes and to see this in Rachel Robinson's home was special.

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jackie_robinson_holland.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	648919

Name:	jackie_robinson_holland2.jpg
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	648920

Name:	jackie_robinson_holland3.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	648921
                      Regards,
                      Andrew Lang
                      AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                      202-716-8500

Comment

• chicagoglen
                        • Aug 2006

I do not claim to be an artist but I did paint one sports painting that I hang in my sports room.

Some days I like it and others I don't. I thought about having him sign it.

In case you can't tell I tried to do an abstract Buehrle.

Comment

• encinorick
                          • Nov 2005

I suspect most of the so-call art goes to sports bars or hang in the basement of someone's "man-cave."

The Godfather of Sports Art is LeRoy Newman, and most of his pieces, while expensive to many, isn't really conisdered art, but abstract illustrations. Their monetary appreication isn't very much, especially his litho's.

As far as the painting of that White Sox pitcher (what's his name?), nice try, not bad. By the way, do you also do bathrooms and kitchens?

Comment

• allstarsplus
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by encinorick
                            I suspect most of the so-call art goes to sports bars or hang in the basement of someone's "man-cave."

The Godfather of Sports Art is LeRoy Newman, and most of his pieces, while expensive to many, isn't really conisdered art, but abstract illustrations. Their monetary appreication isn't very much, especially his litho's.
                            Glen, very nice!!!

Rick - I like your choice for the Godfather of Sports Art but you botched his name as it is LeRoy Neiman. In 2007, Neiman was named Sports Artist of the Year by The American Sport Art Museum and Archives (ASAMA) and the Smithsonian will house a LeRoy Neiman display upon his passing. www.LeRoyNeiman.com

Where I disagree with you is on the subject of monetary appreciation. Usually the greatest appreciation is discovering an artist early in his career. In 1978 if you purchased a Willie Mays for $500 you could sell it today for $5,000 to $10,000 in mint condition, but the greatest appreciation is in some of his original works of art. Now contrast that with his Roger Clemens that was released in 2003 for $3,200 and now tainted with Roger's off the field issues and that serigraph is probably 1/2 the original Retail value.

Name:	0233.jpg
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	648922
                            Regards,
                            Andrew Lang
                            AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                            202-716-8500

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by encinorick

As far as the painting of that White Sox pitcher (what's his name?), nice try, not bad. By the way, do you also do bathrooms and kitchens?
                              Rick
                              Are you an artiste? You're obviously not a comedian. I like the White Sox painting. Even if you don't, the house-painter crack is weak.
                              In my humble opinion, Leroy Neiman blows. But, I am not familiar with Leroy Newman.

Comment

• GarkoCollector
                                • Sep 2008

Heres a piece of my art. Its just pencil on thick cardstock. Its 11x18. Its also been sprayed to prevent the pencil from smearing. I'd sell it if I got a nice offer. I have one of Patrick Roy too.

Comment

Working...