OT - Sports Paintings & Illustrations

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Re: OT: Show off your original sports artwork.

this one is different.

The most progressive painting from the World Series works was entitled Inside the Green Monster. It is a bolt-for-bolt replica of an inside panel of the Green Monster. From the front you peer in a lighted slot, just like the scorekeepers do a Fenway Park. In that slot is a painting from that viewpoint of a Red Sox night game versus the Yankees. The entire piece is lit from the inside. CoCo Crisp, the speedy centerfielder and World of Warcraft fanatic, loved the piece and purchased for his Los Angeles home. Interviews with a number of Boston media ensued including NESN during the broadcast of the game.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• suave1477
      Banned
      • Jan 2006

This is one of my favorite art pieces I do not own it YET. But I have been seriously debating over it lol.

Comment

• Birdbats
        • Nov 2005

I guess this counts as original art, right? It's the cartoon that appeared on the back of Carlton Fisk's 1973 Topps card.

Jeff Scott
        birdbats@charter.net
        http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• frikativ54
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by allstarsplus
          Les - Funny coincidence. I forgot that Opie lives in Houston and has painted Jeff Bagwell many times.

Here is his website: www.OpieArt.com

Opie has been the official artist of the World Series celebrations for several years now too.
          Looks like Bagwell is among his patrons. Don't know if I like the one of Bags, Biggio, and Cammy. The Caminiti part is great, but not necessarily sure if I like the Bagwell portion.

Just in the information-gathering stage right now. So - thank you very much for the details about Opie.

-Frik
          Les Zukor
          bagwellgameused@gmail.com
          Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
          (617) 682-0408

Comment

• frikativ54
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by frikativ54
            Looks like Bagwell is among his patrons. Don't know if I like the one of Bags, Biggio, and Cammy. The Caminiti part is great, but not necessarily sure if I like the Bagwell portion.

Just in the information-gathering stage right now. So - thank you very much for the details about Opie.

-Frik
            But do you know what his prices tend to be for 16 x 20 and smaller? He may be way out of my range.
            Les Zukor
            bagwellgameused@gmail.com
            Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
            (617) 682-0408

Comment

• joelsabi
              • Aug 2005

what are a Giclee? is it a painting or a poster or what?
              Regards,
              Joel S.
              joelsabi @ gmail.com
              Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• momen55
                • Aug 2006

darryl vlasak, #4/10, signed by him and roberto clemente jr.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01442.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	658747

kang mu, #21/100, signed by mu and later i had vera sign it

Name:	DSC01452.JPG
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	658748

angelo marino from 94

Name:	DSC01453.JPG
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	658749

Comment

• TNTtoys
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by joelsabi
                  what are a Giclee? is it a painting or a poster or what?

Generally, you see these as digital reprints of original artwork, pressed onto canvas. They appear as painting without actually being one.

My 1986 Mets piece that I posted on a pickups thread is an example of a Giclee:
                  Attached Files
                  Looking for ...
                  Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
                  Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
                  Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by TNTtoys
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giclee

Generally, you see these as digital reprints of original artwork, pressed onto canvas. They appear as painting without actually being one.

My 1986 Mets piece that I posted on a pickups thread is an example of a Giclee:
                    thanks.

i own a couple of lithographs. are these reprints too? what is the next best thing next to an original art work? what kind of reprints is considered to be collectible?
                    Regards,
                    Joel S.
                    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Gkreindler
                      • Oct 2009

Thanks for pimping me and my work out, Todd!! If anyone wants anymore information on me or my artwork, feel free to PM me, or check out my website at http://www.graigkreindler.com.

Joel, in regards to having the second best thing next to an original, a really high end archival giclee is a good bet. If done correctly and professionally, these are made with sprayed archival inks onto acid-free surfaces (watercolor paper, canvas, etc.), and if properly treated and displayed should last at least 75 years. When buying any of these, one should certainly do their homework and get as much information from the artist or dealer as possible.

In terms of collectibility, I guess it all depends on what you're looking at. There's always interest in lithos and giclees that are autographed by the artists and/or players, though from what I've seen in the auction circles, they don't necessarily garner a heck of a lot of money unless they're attached to a name like Leroy Neiman (or a deceased player).

To be perfectly honest, if you're mostly interested in an investment (and a long-term one at that), originals are the way to go. In the end, the hobby won't be the place to reap the benefits of that kind of purchase, as the art piece will undoubtedly be more about the player than the artist. And, in that forum, it's hard to have artwork compete with game-used equipment and the like in terms of price. However, in the art buying world, it becomes more about the artist than the player. And believe me, those pieces can rise in price to some of the most hallowed Ruth and Gehrig gamers out there.

In the end, I think if you're interested in art, it always helps to just figure out what you like aesthetically - what hits you on a gut level. That ALWAYS makes the investment worth it.

Graig

Comment

• TNTtoys
                        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by joelsabi
                        thanks.

i own a couple of lithographs. are these reprints too? what is the next best thing next to an original art work? what kind of reprints is considered to be collectible?
                        Unfortunately my knowledge in this area is extremely limited. I didn't want to ignore your question but I just don't have a good answer for you. There are a number of collectors & dealers here who should be able to chime in.
                        Looking for ...
                        Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
                        Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
                        Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• karamaxjoe
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Gkreindler
                          Thanks for pimping me and my work out, Todd!! If anyone wants anymore information on me or my artwork, feel free to PM me, or check out my website at http://www.graigkreindler.com.

Joel, in regards to having the second best thing next to an original, a really high end archival giclee is a good bet. If done correctly and professionally, these are made with sprayed archival inks onto acid-free surfaces (watercolor paper, canvas, etc.), and if properly treated and displayed should last at least 75 years. When buying any of these, one should certainly do their homework and get as much information from the artist or dealer as possible.

In terms of collectibility, I guess it all depends on what you're looking at. There's always interest in lithos and giclees that are autographed by the artists and/or players, though from what I've seen in the auction circles, they don't necessarily garner a heck of a lot of money unless they're attached to a name like Leroy Neiman (or a deceased player).

To be perfectly honest, if you're mostly interested in an investment (and a long-term one at that), originals are the way to go. In the end, the hobby won't be the place to reap the benefits of that kind of purchase, as the art piece will undoubtedly be more about the player than the artist. And, in that forum, it's hard to have artwork compete with game-used equipment and the like in terms of price. However, in the art buying world, it becomes more about the artist than the player. And believe me, those pieces can rise in price to some of the most hallowed Ruth and Gehrig gamers out there.

In the end, I think if you're interested in art, it always helps to just figure out what you like aesthetically - what hits you on a gut level. That ALWAYS makes the investment worth it.

Graig

Graig,
                          I've always admired your paintings on the net54 website. One day when I'm a rich man, I'm going to ask for this photo of Joe Jackson to be painted. I bet this would come out great with that steely stare from Shoeless Joe.
                          Attached Files
                          Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
                          ~ Bill Veeck

sigpic

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Gkreindler

Graig
                            Graig,

thanks for the breakdown, it would be cool to get something commissioned by you if it is affordable. you do great work.

Regards

Joel
                            Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by TNTtoys
                              Unfortunately my knowledge in this area is extremely limited. I didn't want to ignore your question but I just don't have a good answer for you. There are a number of collectors & dealers here who should be able to chime in.
                              not a problem.

graig had a great response. i think it whatever is aesthetically pleasing to me that counts.
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• Gkreindler
                                • Oct 2009

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Karamaxjoe, that shot of Shoeless is absolutely timeless. I tell ya, he had a gaze like no other. It's certainly on my long list of stuff to do...

Joel, I hope that my post wasn't too much of a diatribe. If you decide that you would ever like to set something up, feel free to contact me!

Graig

Comment

Working...