Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: OT: Show off your original sports artwork.

this one is different.

http://www.opieart.com/cocogreen.html

The most progressive painting from the World Series works was entitled Inside the Green Monster. It is a bolt-for-bolt replica of an inside panel of the Green Monster. From the front you peer in a lighted slot, just like the scorekeepers do a Fenway Park. In that slot is a painting from that viewpoint of a Red Sox night game versus the Yankees. The entire piece is lit from the inside. CoCo Crisp, the speedy centerfielder and World of Warcraft fanatic, loved the piece and purchased for his Los Angeles home. Interviews with a number of Boston media ensued including NESN during the broadcast of the game.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

This is one of my favorite art pieces I do not own it YET. But I have been seriously debating over it lol.

I guess this counts as original art, right? It's the cartoon that appeared on the back of Carlton Fisk's 1973 Topps card.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Les - Funny coincidence. I forgot that Opie lives in Houston and has painted Jeff Bagwell many times.

http://www.opieart.com/baseball_bigg_bags_cammy.html

Here is his website: www.OpieArt.com

Opie has been the official artist of the World Series celebrations for several years now too.
    Looks like Bagwell is among his patrons. Don't know if I like the one of Bags, Biggio, and Cammy. The Caminiti part is great, but not necessarily sure if I like the Bagwell portion.

Just in the information-gathering stage right now. So - thank you very much for the details about Opie.

-Frik
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Looks like Bagwell is among his patrons. Don't know if I like the one of Bags, Biggio, and Cammy. The Caminiti part is great, but not necessarily sure if I like the Bagwell portion.

Just in the information-gathering stage right now. So - thank you very much for the details about Opie.

-Frik
    But do you know what his prices tend to be for 16 x 20 and smaller? He may be way out of my range.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

what are a Giclee? is it a painting or a poster or what?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

darryl vlasak, #4/10, signed by him and roberto clemente jr.
    Name:  DSC01442.JPG
Views: 765
Size:  253.1 KB

kang mu, #21/100, signed by mu and later i had vera sign it
    Name:  DSC01452.JPG
Views: 733
Size:  192.9 KB

angelo marino from 94
    Name:  DSC01453.JPG
Views: 691
Size:  302.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    what are a Giclee? is it a painting or a poster or what?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giclee

Generally, you see these as digital reprints of original artwork, pressed onto canvas. They appear as painting without actually being one.

My 1986 Mets piece that I posted on a pickups thread is an example of a Giclee:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giclee

Generally, you see these as digital reprints of original artwork, pressed onto canvas. They appear as painting without actually being one.

My 1986 Mets piece that I posted on a pickups thread is an example of a Giclee:
    thanks.

i own a couple of lithographs. are these reprints too? what is the next best thing next to an original art work? what kind of reprints is considered to be collectible?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Thanks for pimping me and my work out, Todd!! If anyone wants anymore information on me or my artwork, feel free to PM me, or check out my website at http://www.graigkreindler.com.

Joel, in regards to having the second best thing next to an original, a really high end archival giclee is a good bet. If done correctly and professionally, these are made with sprayed archival inks onto acid-free surfaces (watercolor paper, canvas, etc.), and if properly treated and displayed should last at least 75 years. When buying any of these, one should certainly do their homework and get as much information from the artist or dealer as possible.

In terms of collectibility, I guess it all depends on what you're looking at. There's always interest in lithos and giclees that are autographed by the artists and/or players, though from what I've seen in the auction circles, they don't necessarily garner a heck of a lot of money unless they're attached to a name like Leroy Neiman (or a deceased player).

To be perfectly honest, if you're mostly interested in an investment (and a long-term one at that), originals are the way to go. In the end, the hobby won't be the place to reap the benefits of that kind of purchase, as the art piece will undoubtedly be more about the player than the artist. And, in that forum, it's hard to have artwork compete with game-used equipment and the like in terms of price. However, in the art buying world, it becomes more about the artist than the player. And believe me, those pieces can rise in price to some of the most hallowed Ruth and Gehrig gamers out there.

In the end, I think if you're interested in art, it always helps to just figure out what you like aesthetically - what hits you on a gut level. That ALWAYS makes the investment worth it.

Graig