Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Slightly OT: Sports Art - Any Opinions?

Outside The Lines and Jeremy Schaap on ESPN did a great piece on the impact of the black athlete on society such as Jackie Robinson, Ali, Jesse Owens, Joe Louis, Doug Williams, and others.

As I am watching the show, over Jeremy Schaaps' shoulder is a Stephen Holland painting of Jackie Robinson he did last year.

It was cool to see as we have sold many of those paintings directly to some well known African American athletes and to see this in Rachel Robinson's home was special.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3835575

Name:  jackie_robinson_holland.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  136.0 KB

Name:  jackie_robinson_holland2.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  156.9 KB

Name:  jackie_robinson_holland3.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  63.1 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

I do not claim to be an artist but I did paint one sports painting that I hang in my sports room.

Some days I like it and others I don't. I thought about having him sign it.

In case you can't tell I tried to do an abstract Buehrle.

I suspect most of the so-call art goes to sports bars or hang in the basement of someone's "man-cave."

The Godfather of Sports Art is LeRoy Newman, and most of his pieces, while expensive to many, isn't really conisdered art, but abstract illustrations. Their monetary appreication isn't very much, especially his litho's.

As far as the painting of that White Sox pitcher (what's his name?), nice try, not bad. By the way, do you also do bathrooms and kitchens?

Quote Originally Posted by encinorick View Post
    I suspect most of the so-call art goes to sports bars or hang in the basement of someone's "man-cave."

The Godfather of Sports Art is LeRoy Newman, and most of his pieces, while expensive to many, isn't really conisdered art, but abstract illustrations. Their monetary appreication isn't very much, especially his litho's.
    Glen, very nice!!!

Rick - I like your choice for the Godfather of Sports Art but you botched his name as it is LeRoy Neiman. In 2007, Neiman was named Sports Artist of the Year by The American Sport Art Museum and Archives (ASAMA) and the Smithsonian will house a LeRoy Neiman display upon his passing. www.LeRoyNeiman.com

Where I disagree with you is on the subject of monetary appreciation. Usually the greatest appreciation is discovering an artist early in his career. In 1978 if you purchased a Willie Mays for $500 you could sell it today for $5,000 to $10,000 in mint condition, but the greatest appreciation is in some of his original works of art. Now contrast that with his Roger Clemens that was released in 2003 for $3,200 and now tainted with Roger's off the field issues and that serigraph is probably 1/2 the original Retail value.

Name:  0233.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  128.9 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by encinorick View Post

As far as the painting of that White Sox pitcher (what's his name?), nice try, not bad. By the way, do you also do bathrooms and kitchens?
    Rick
    Are you an artiste? You're obviously not a comedian. I like the White Sox painting. Even if you don't, the house-painter crack is weak.
    In my humble opinion, Leroy Neiman blows. But, I am not familiar with Leroy Newman.

Heres a piece of my art. Its just pencil on thick cardstock. Its 11x18. Its also been sprayed to prevent the pencil from smearing. I'd sell it if I got a nice offer. I have one of Patrick Roy too.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Rick
    Are you an artiste? You're obviously not a comedian. I like the White Sox painting. Even if you don't, the house-painter crack is weak.
    In my humble opinion, Leroy Neiman blows. But, I am not familiar with Leroy Newman.
    BTPH - You asked if Rick is an artiste, are you an art critic?

Well BTPH, that's nice (sarcastic) to say that about someone who makes their livelihood as an artist that they "blow". I personally like some of Neiman's work, but art is subjective and some artists find very negative criticism as offensive as it is like judging the beauty of one's spouse. I generally refer to art I don't like as it isn't my style, but to say it "blows" as you say in your humble opinion, I find offensive as I am sure others would too.

Neiman was born in 1921 with no silver spoon in his mouth. In fact, his father abandoned his family when he was young, and he lived in an orphanage back in the time of the great depression until his mother got remarried and took him back. Sure, he did well as he got older but doubtful you can ever erase those scars of such a tough childhood. He never had children and supposedly has no living relatives except his wife and all of his archives and wealth go to charity.

His style of art which has been called impressionistic with bursts of energy is an original style which all critics say was of his own invention. If nothing else, Neiman is an original, and maybe the greatest compliment is all the artists that have come after him that have painted in a similar style. Often imitated, but never duplicated.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    BTPH - You asked if Rick is an artiste, are you an art critic?

Well BTPH, that's nice (sarcastic) to say that about someone who makes their livelihood as an artist that they "blow". I personally like some of Neiman's work, but art is subjective and some artists find very negative criticism as offensive as it is like judging the beauty of one's spouse. I generally refer to art I don't like as it isn't my style, but to say it "blows" as you say in your humble opinion, I find offensive as I am sure others would too.
    Andrew, I was simply bailing on Rick for comparing the White Sox painting to interior house painting. You would agree that's offensive, right?
    Everyone has their own opinion about art and what is considered art. Real sad to hear about Leroy Neiman's troubled past. Neiman's style breaths "late 80s".
    I don't know art, but I know what blows.