Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
Rick
Are you an artiste? You're obviously not a comedian. I like the White Sox painting. Even if you don't, the house-painter crack is weak.
In my humble opinion, Leroy Neiman blows. But, I am not familiar with Leroy Newman.
BTPH - You asked if Rick is an artiste, are you an art critic?

Well BTPH, that's nice (sarcastic) to say that about someone who makes their livelihood as an artist that they "blow". I personally like some of Neiman's work, but art is subjective and some artists find very negative criticism as offensive as it is like judging the beauty of one's spouse. I generally refer to art I don't like as it isn't my style, but to say it "blows" as you say in your humble opinion, I find offensive as I am sure others would too.

Neiman was born in 1921 with no silver spoon in his mouth. In fact, his father abandoned his family when he was young, and he lived in an orphanage back in the time of the great depression until his mother got remarried and took him back. Sure, he did well as he got older but doubtful you can ever erase those scars of such a tough childhood. He never had children and supposedly has no living relatives except his wife and all of his archives and wealth go to charity.

His style of art which has been called impressionistic with bursts of energy is an original style which all critics say was of his own invention. If nothing else, Neiman is an original, and maybe the greatest compliment is all the artists that have come after him that have painted in a similar style. Often imitated, but never duplicated.