Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Weird Collector Stories

Let's share some weird collector stories. We all have them, I'll start:

Early 90's. I'm still living at home, get a call from one of my classified ads looking for Dave Kingman items. Guy has a blonde Kingman Worth bat gamer. To date here in 2008, I have pics of Dave using this type bat, but have NEVER seen one available. At the time the guy tells me $200, very high at the time but I agree. He says he is going thru a divorce, so sit tight and wait so he can get into his soon-to-be ex's house and retrieve the bat... I get a call about 2 weeks later that he has the bat, and forward the funds... That has to be one of the wackiest stories I have been faced with in all these years!!!

Anybody else??
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Re: Weird Collector Stories

About 10 years ago my wife's cousin and I are talking at a family function. We start talking sports and I bring up my new obsession of collecting game used Mariners bats. He pauses for a moment and says he has an old bat in his trunk he took from a guy during a fight a few years earlier. The bat now sits in his trunk in case any other "issues" arise. Then he tells me he will go and grab it and if it is something I would like he would be more than happy to give it to me. He comes back into the house with a game used and autographed Alvin Davis bat. The bat appears to be no worse for the wear even after a brawl and sitting in his trunk for years. AD may not mean much to the general public but he is all we had in Seattle during the mid 1980's so I was thrilled!

I bought an early 70s durene football jersey at a second hand store in Los Angeles. It had a logo on the shoulders that was unfamiliar to me. I assumed, correctly, that it was a high school jersey. I sold it on eBay to a collector that I had known for a few years and shared correspondence and jersey knowledge. After he received the jersey, he told me he thought it was from his former high school. He said he was going to research old yearbooks from the school at the public library. It turns out that the jersey was from his former high school in Michigan. It was the same uniform number and was actually worn by his uncle in the early 70s. This uncle was killed shortly after he played high school football in the early 70s. My friend was a few years too young to have ever met his uncle.

One of the eeriest sports items I have seen was a baseball painting by serial killer John Wayne Gacy that was autographed by a plethora of baseball stars and HOFers (Aaron, Mays, Rose, etc) plus Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford. Evidently the painting owner got the autographs at shows. Even though the painting was signed by Gacey in the corner, it appears the other signers did not realize the identity of artist— I assume they would have refused to sign if they did know. They just assumed they were signing someone's amaturish and benign-looking sports art.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    One of the eeriest sports items I have seen was a baseball painting by serial killer John Wayne Gacy that was autographed by a plethora of baseball stars and HOFers (Aaron, Mays, Rose, etc) plus Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford. Evidently the painting owner got the autographs at shows. Even though the painting was signed by Gacey in the corner, it appears the other signers did not realize the identity of artist— I assume they would have refused to sign if they did know. They just assumed they were signing someone's amaturish and benign-looking sports art.
    I'm familiar with Gacy's "art." He is one of the most lothsome creatures that crept from the gutter, and it can only be that the people you mention were not aware of the connection. I have often heard he sold his art and can only hope that any profits were attributed to victims families...
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

I've seen that. Its at the Crime and Punishment museum in Wash. DC

In 1982, when the Raiders were still practicing in Alameda but playing in Los Angeles, a friend and I used to go to their training facility to get autographs. It's close to Thanksgiving and Marcus Allen is leaving the facility. He signs a couple of autographs and gives my friend a practice jersey. Then out of the blue he asks him if he wants a ham too. The team had given all the players hams to take home for the holiday but Marcus was young and single at the time and had no need for it I guess. My buddy gladly accepted and took it home to his mom. I guess you can say he got a Raiders team issued ham!!

This story comes from another Kingman collector (not me).

Back in 1989, Kingman is in the defunct now Senior League playing for the Tropics. Guy I know strikes up a conversation with Dave, and Kingman asks him where he is from. Guy says Virgina, and Dave says he'd love a Virginia ham. Guy says he can get one for him, and Dave says, what do you want in return? Guy says your jersey would be great...Dave pulled it off and threw it to him. He still has it today.

I myself have never obtained any game used piece I did not pay thru every orifice for....!
    ROBERT KOPPEL

The other eerie sports item I saw for auction was the watch Knute Rockne was wearing when he died in a plane crash. The time was stopped at the moment of impact.

I met Yuyo Ruiz at a card show in Chicago and gravitated to his display because of his Clemente collection. I had my camera on hand for the signing of Dan Marino, who i found out was a huge Clemente fan. Marino was even planning to come over to look at a salesman's sample of Clemente world series ring after his signing time was over. I was taking shots of Yuyo's display after being introduce to Yuyo by his nephews that were manning the displays. I told Yuyo what an amazing collection he had and Yuyo offers to take a photo of me with his display. I agree but before he take my camera he opens up the display case and before i knew what was happening he plops some plane debri in my hand. I had never felt so uncomfortable in my life but I took the photo out of respect to Yuyo.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.