Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frikativ54
    • Dec 2007

Purchase you most regret...

I'm sure we all have one. But I'd like to hear what that one purchase was, that something that you thought you really needed at the time, but for some reason, you are now ambivalent about. Or maybe it was just a dumb decision that you have moved on from...or maybe you still regret what you did. In any case, I would like to hear about it.

What's the purchase that you most regret?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408
  • murfsteve25
    • Oct 2008

Re: Purchase you most regret...

3 years ago when I was collecting any and everything, I purchased a pair of game used autographed SOCKS from Gary Sheffield. They came from Elite Sports Marketing and even had the Sheffield COA sticker on them. The socks came from his Yankee days and I regret the 50 or 60 bucks I spent on them. I havent even taken them out of the box I've had them in since I got them in the mail.
    Always buying David Justice items

Comment

• bigtruck260
      • Sep 2007

I bought 5 McGwire baseballs from Steiner in 2004 for $499 each. I since sold them all for an average price of $165...
      Dave
      Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
      River City Redbird Authentics
      http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• TNTtoys
        • Aug 2006

Along the same lines as bigtruck... back when I was a sports figurine collector/reseller (hence my name), I invested a good deal of money in 1997 Terrell Davis Starting Lineup rookie figures. I was picking them up in the ballpark of $50-60 each and selling them for $75 and up.

Back then, he was exploding in the NFL and his potential was off the chart. Well, we all know how that story goes... career ending injury... no longer a "future hall of famer"... no longer has a legitimate shot at all of the career records... interest in his collectibles deteriorated.

Stuck with about 10 of these, I was sacrificing them for $10-20 by the time all was said and done. The lesson I learned by this move was to DIVERSIFY... never again would I "invest" so much in a single player, because you simply never know.
        Looking for ...
        Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
        Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
        Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• harpt
          • May 2007

Hey TNT...do you still have a bunch of "older" lineups? I have a near complete set of 1988 baseball (loose). I know it is not worth anything, but I figure I would like to complete the set someday just for a hobby.

Please send me an email if you have any of these still laying around.

Sorry to hijack you thread Frik.
          Scott Harpt
          scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
          Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Comment

• mariner_gamers
            • May 2008

That would be my autographed Roger Maris/Mickey Mantle 8x10 signed by the dealer I bought it from back in 1990.........
            Davis Emburey
            demburey@netzero.net
            Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Comment

• allstarsplus
              • Nov 2005

My genius purchase of a Roger Clemens game used jersey from Steiner that I later auctioned off and lost $1,000's on.
              Regards,
              Andrew Lang
              AllstarsPlus@aol.com
              202-716-8500

Comment

• bigtruck260
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by mariner_gamers
                That would be my autographed Roger Maris/Mickey Mantle 8x10 signed by the dealer I bought it from back in 1990.........
                You and about 10,000 others...

I discovered a few autopen sigs from players in my collection when I sent them to PSA (When I thought that was the best thing to do)...

My prized Nolan Ryan autograph that he sent me in my SASE was done by a machine. It wasn't forged, but still upset me. I should have been thankful to get anything at all...
                Dave
                Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                River City Redbird Authentics
                http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• hrvatwill
                  • Jan 2008

For me it has to be the game used Heath Miller jersey that I bought on ebay after the Steelers in the wake of the Steelers last Super Bowl victory. Call it "irrational exuberance".

I was brand new to both ebay and the GU hobby and reinforced PT Barnum's famous saying about "a sucker being born every minute." It came with a COA and was guaranteed authentic.

I spent countless hours trying to photomatch it. Problem is, as I discovered is that Steelers nameplates are tightly cropped around the name while my "gamer" featured a nameplate stretching across the back.

Guess what happened when I informed both the seller and ebay as to what I had discovered? Yep....nothing. My attempt at legal recourse was also unsuccessful due to the complexity of having to have the seller served in Texas (as per the lawyer who advised me).

Seller used to post here but has since discontinued. In case you are still reading the forum, though.......have a Happy New Year and God bless your soul.

Comment

• metsbats
                    • Nov 2005

100 ct lot of Gregg Jefferies 1988 Donruss Rated Rookies cards!
                    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• helmets
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bigtruck260
                      I bought 5 McGwire baseballs from Steiner in 2004 for $499 each. I since sold them all for an average price of $165...
                      WHAT?
                      Yikes...

Culpepper game used helmet. At the time he was a pretty good quarterback...
                      Buying game used helmets of Packers - all eras as well as game used helmets of HOFers or future HOFers.

Comment

• yanks12025
                        • Jan 2006

Well i did not buy this but i regret sending the money. There was a game used bat on a website so i contacted the seller and i told him i would take the bat. So i sent the payment(Moneyorder). Well the seller sold the bat to another buyer and he decide to keep my money($620). I contacted his local police and they never called me back, so i just gave up. When i go to Florida again i plan on making a visit to his house with a bat.

Comment

• Ozric
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by metsbats
                          100 ct lot of Gregg Jefferies 1988 Donruss Rated Rookies cards!

Now that one hits close to home. 5000 1989 Topps Mark Lewis rookie cards at .15 each. My first and only "big" card investment. After getting laughed at trying to sell them, then not even being able to give them away, I simply threw them all out a few years ago during a move. My kids did not even want them to put in their spokes.

Comment

• skyking26
                            • Dec 2005

Cecil Fielder GU bat bought from John Taube for $415, sold for around $200. Biggest problem with buying stuff early on a player is speculation...don't buy into it.
                            ROBERT KOPPEL
                            Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                            and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• grenda12
                              • Oct 2008

I most regret my GU Joe Crede Autographed Batting Helmet. I put my high bid of $50 on it, thinking that I wouldnt win it because of the reserve that was on it. Next thing I knew, it was mine. The guy ended the auction early and gave it to the highest bid. Completely infair. I didnt really want it.

The other item I regret is my 2005 World Series AJ Pierzynski Bobblehead. I put a high bid of $50 on it once again. There was no action on it, for days even the last few minutes. So I thought it was going to be mine for $16. I was wrong within the last second it went up to $43 and I was stuck with a $50 bobblehead. The last couple Ive seen on eBay didnt even sell for $20.

Comment

Working...