Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Purchase you most regret...

I'm sure we all have one. But I'd like to hear what that one purchase was, that something that you thought you really needed at the time, but for some reason, you are now ambivalent about. Or maybe it was just a dumb decision that you have moved on from...or maybe you still regret what you did. In any case, I would like to hear about it.

What's the purchase that you most regret?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Re: Purchase you most regret...

3 years ago when I was collecting any and everything, I purchased a pair of game used autographed SOCKS from Gary Sheffield. They came from Elite Sports Marketing and even had the Sheffield COA sticker on them. The socks came from his Yankee days and I regret the 50 or 60 bucks I spent on them. I havent even taken them out of the box I've had them in since I got them in the mail.

I bought 5 McGwire baseballs from Steiner in 2004 for $499 each. I since sold them all for an average price of $165...
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Along the same lines as bigtruck... back when I was a sports figurine collector/reseller (hence my name), I invested a good deal of money in 1997 Terrell Davis Starting Lineup rookie figures. I was picking them up in the ballpark of $50-60 each and selling them for $75 and up.

Back then, he was exploding in the NFL and his potential was off the chart. Well, we all know how that story goes... career ending injury... no longer a "future hall of famer"... no longer has a legitimate shot at all of the career records... interest in his collectibles deteriorated.

Stuck with about 10 of these, I was sacrificing them for $10-20 by the time all was said and done. The lesson I learned by this move was to DIVERSIFY... never again would I "invest" so much in a single player, because you simply never know.

Hey TNT...do you still have a bunch of "older" lineups? I have a near complete set of 1988 baseball (loose). I know it is not worth anything, but I figure I would like to complete the set someday just for a hobby.

Please send me an email if you have any of these still laying around.

Sorry to hijack you thread Frik.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

That would be my autographed Roger Maris/Mickey Mantle 8x10 signed by the dealer I bought it from back in 1990.........

My genius purchase of a Roger Clemens game used jersey from Steiner that I later auctioned off and lost $1,000's on.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by mariner_gamers View Post
    That would be my autographed Roger Maris/Mickey Mantle 8x10 signed by the dealer I bought it from back in 1990.........
    You and about 10,000 others...

I discovered a few autopen sigs from players in my collection when I sent them to PSA (When I thought that was the best thing to do)...

My prized Nolan Ryan autograph that he sent me in my SASE was done by a machine. It wasn't forged, but still upset me. I should have been thankful to get anything at all...
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For me it has to be the game used Heath Miller jersey that I bought on ebay after the Steelers in the wake of the Steelers last Super Bowl victory. Call it "irrational exuberance".

I was brand new to both ebay and the GU hobby and reinforced PT Barnum's famous saying about "a sucker being born every minute." It came with a COA and was guaranteed authentic.

I spent countless hours trying to photomatch it. Problem is, as I discovered is that Steelers nameplates are tightly cropped around the name while my "gamer" featured a nameplate stretching across the back.

Guess what happened when I informed both the seller and ebay as to what I had discovered? Yep....nothing. My attempt at legal recourse was also unsuccessful due to the complexity of having to have the seller served in Texas (as per the lawyer who advised me).

Seller used to post here but has since discontinued. In case you are still reading the forum, though.......have a Happy New Year and God bless your soul.

100 ct lot of Gregg Jefferies 1988 Donruss Rated Rookies cards!
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.