Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question 2008 Game Used Memories Let's hear your story

Ok, we have only a few hours of 2008 left. So what are your greatest 2008 collecting stories????
    Mine was a p/u of a Utah Jazz warm-up worn by one of my favorite University of Louisville Basketball players Darrell Griffith.
    John
    ham1963

Re: 2008 Game Used Memories Let's hear your story

Picking up a Dwight Gooden game used glove and then getting to meet Doc and have him sign it.

We made a concerted effort to shift our sports budget more towards game used items this year and were fortunate to handle a dozen or more Yankees '08 jerseys, countless other Yanks items and some great Red Sox items via Steiner Sports. It was also nice to work with several teams who market their items directly and make new relationships during those efforts.

Most importantly, our expansion into the game used area allowed me to personally meet many new collectors and form a few very sincere friendships - at the end of the day, that has been the best part of my 2008 game used memories.

Brad Shafran
    brad@shafrancollectibles.com

Being able to attend games at Shea Stadium during the final season and picking up items from Mei Gray at the end of the season are one of the best memories of 2008 for me.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Back in February, at the Diamondbacks FanFest, talking to Micah Owings and having him sign this bat, which he broke hitting the second of three doubles in a game against Pittsburgh the previous year, in which he also dominated on the mound; a great souvenir from an incredible game, topped off by having it authenticated and inscribed by the player.

My best was picking up my Gregg Jefferies Cards-era bat.
    Happy New Year Jolan.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In no particular order...

Attending the 2008 National in Chicago... meeting & chatting with several folks from this forum there that I would have only known by forum postings and emails... finding a hidden treasure (1982 Mets road alternate Ron Hodges jersey) in an unlikely place.

Taking part in a "coalition" with 4 other collectors from this website (David, Jessie, Scott and Jason) on a bulk purchase of Mets bats from Robert Edward auction. It was 1 unique experience that was later commented on by the admins here:
    "we are thrilled the forum can help collectors in ways we may not have even considered."

Forming friendships with several guys here that extend beyond the hobby.

Tirelessly working towards my collecting goals of:
    1 game used bat of every key member of the 1986 Mets
    1 single signed inscribed ball of every member of the 1986 Mets
    An autograph of every living member of the 1986 Mets on my "Ceremony Worn" Rafael Santana jersey.

Mine has to be attending the 2008 All Star week in NYC and Yankee Stadium and staying in the team hotel and attending the HR Derby press conference and meeting up with GUF members.

The HR Derby was the best ever with Josh Hamilton. The parties were crazy especially the Derek Jeter Michael Jordan party at Marquee.

The priceless moment was just walking Yankee Stadium for the last season.

This wasn't as much a game used experience as it was just an overall life bucket list experience.

Name:  all_star_game_2008.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  all_star_game_2008a.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  all_star_game_2008b.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  56.2 KB

Best family experience was my 5 year old son Jake who got to deliver the lineup card at the last night game this year for the Nationals.

Name:  jake_sep_2008.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  jake_sep_2008b.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  53.9 KB
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

Friendships made here esepcially with TNT - great guy

2008 All Star week - Futures game, Celebrity game, HR Derby, All Star fan fest and All Star game.

Went to a game with my girlfriend and family on my birthday in the last season at Yankees Stadium

Picked up
    Yankees 1996 Game Used Fielding glove of Darryl Strawberry
    Used During the regular season, playoffs and 1996 World Series
    Photmatched it to the World Series

After reading Andrew's post, I have to add that going to the last game at Yankee Stadium and being allowed to walk on the field before the game was a priceless moment. I spent over an hour with my father walking the perimeter of the field, meeting Joe Girardi, Mike Mussina, Edwar Ramirez and Brett Gardner (and being within an arm's distance of AROD). My father attended his first game at the Stadium in 1951 and you would be hard-pressed to find anyone with more Yankee knowledge than him so it was a thrill to take him to that game and savor every moment of it.