I posted this earlier in another thread about Grading cards, but it also covers the 'authentication' and auction houses:

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
Just some FYI:

Currently, any Sports card ca. 1977 and before fall into the VINTAGE category for most dealers.

Me personally - I would NEVER use BGS/BCGG as I find it a great conflict of interest to put out the leading 'guide', while also grading cards AND listing cards that your company grades as more valuable than any other graded cards.

SCG - I have never heard a bad word one about them and - as was stated earlier - they are the KING among Vintage collectors when it comes to grading.

GAI - I didn't even know they ever offered Grading, just authentication services for autographs.

PSA/DNA - I've had my issues (like many others) with them over Autos I personally received from players being sent back as inconclusive, etc while they kept my $100+, BUT after reading this book:

I will NEVER use PSA/DNA or many of the Auction houses named within.

If you want to read the dirt about what goes on at these places, READ THIS BOOK, you might rethink what Auction Houses, Authenticators, Graders, etc that you trust.

Just my .02

- Chris

P.S. - That being said, I do have a 1951 Berk Ross Panel Set that is slabbed and graded by PSA/DNA, but it was purchased that way. I am considering sending it in to SGC to have the entire set regraded and re-slabbed.
Read the book and you will definately come away with a sour taste in your mouth... also, as Sammy said earlier - READ AutographAlert .com . Great dirt on what is going on in the industry.