Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Are baseball salaries too high?

All of us are familiar with the fact that the top baseball salaries now run from around $15 million to around $25 million a year. When I first started following baseball in the early 60's Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays were the two top players at $100,000 a year. And they were the top player in the game at the time destined for the Hall of Fame. Most fans did not complain about Mantle or Mays making that money or Babe Ruth earlier making $80,000. I don't know what Mantle or Mays salary would equal in today's money, but I don't believe it would be what the top salaries are today. Also, totally mediocre players and players having terrible years like Andrew Jones are making millions of dollars. We think of someone who wins a $4 million lottery as being very lucky while players with poor or average statistics are making that much and more every year. And it seems even worse in today's economy. I know we live in a capitalistic society and I think most people accept that people with special talents will always be paid more than firemen, policemen, teachers and others who are actually necessary for society to function. And I know that no one puts a gun to the heads of baseball executives to make them pay those salaries. I don't think most fans would have a problem with the top players making $10 million or some more a year. If salaries were reduced their could be some reduction in ticket prices, even if a small amount. I don't think most of us object to talented players being well paid, its the excessive amounts that bother us. What do the rest of you think?

Re: Are baseball salaries too high?

I don't know if anyone would say that they aren't too high.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the ticket prices piece. While I dont even come close to the ARods of the world I make a very good living, and to take my wife and two boys to a game is rediculous.

The reason that the players of the bygone era are so loved even to this day is, 1) they were average guys who lived in the neighborhood, and 2) everyone could afford to go see a game and see them play.

I take the new Yankee stadium as the perfect example. Their ticket prices are going to be so high, that only corporations or the ultra rich can afford season tickets... I for one hope they play to empty seats.
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by shoremen44 View Post
    I don't know if anyone would say that they aren't too high.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the ticket prices piece. While I dont even come close to the ARods of the world I make a very good living, and to take my wife and two boys to a game is rediculous.

The reason that the players of the bygone era are so loved even to this day is, 1) they were average guys who lived in the neighborhood, and 2) everyone could afford to go see a game and see them play.

I take the new Yankee stadium as the perfect example. Their ticket prices are going to be so high, that only corporations or the ultra rich can afford season tickets... I for one hope they play to empty seats.
    I was able to get season tickets for next year for $20 a ticket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
    A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
    J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

I stand corrected...

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/t...p?content=full

if you want to sit in the corners of the upperdeck $20... or the grandstand just $12...

I did find it funny that they dont list prices on the season ticket locator for the stuff behind home plate or the lowest level... you have to call to get those prices
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com

No question, salaries are rediculous! Like you said, it comes down to ticket prices. As long as we the fans are paying, the owners can afford to give the players these salaries.

As far as the new Yankee Stadium, a friend of mine has the Sunday plan and he upgraded his seat and pays 35 a ticket whereas last year he paid 25. Not too bad. That being said, I used to go to at least 10-15 games a year in the 90's and now with the cost of everything (tickets, food, and PARKING ), I go to about 1 maybe 2 games a year.

Do you guys know when they are taking deposits for the 41 game package.

Quote Originally Posted by shoremen44 View Post

i saw a documentary on the old brooklyn dodgers and most of the players did live in the neighborhood and even walked to the stadium for their games. times have changed.

advertising and endorsements money really makes the owners well off. you think players can just purchase a ball club? players make a fraction of what the owners are making. due to union membership, the salaries have gone up as well.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Yes, salaries are out of this world. The owners agree to pay the high salaries. So they can blame themselves.

Also, don't forget about all the money owners receive from the TV contracts.....so ticket revenues are just more icing on the cake.

Then you have the rich teams wanting to outbid everyone else....
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Way way way too high. I don't so much feel bad for those of us with decent jobs who can afford to pay the outrageous prices, but the kids out there that really are not getting as first hand chance to fall in love with the sport. Many of the best players came from very humble upbringing and fell in love with the game as an escape from the reality of the streets. Overcommercialization of the game is really taking away from the sport and cutting alot out.

My simple solution...cut everything in half! Salaries and ticket prices as well. It's not like any of these players will be hurting if they make 4 million instead of 8 million.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    i saw a documentary on the old brooklyn dodgers and most of the players did live in the neighborhood and even walked to the stadium for their games. times have changed.

I saw a similar show that said that the local deli owner would drop off packages of deli meat to the player's homes to help make ends meet during the off season when they didnt make any money!