• Aug 2005

Re: Junk Game Used

Looking at Ebay on MVP Marketing offerings:

The HR passing Mickey Mantle goes for 15K or bo
    The HR passing Schmidt goes for 12.5 K or bo
    2 Non-Milestone HR goes for 8.5 K or bo
    GU bat used in final series 6 K or obo
    GU bat with “House Ruth Built” inscription 4K obo

These all offered by MVP Marketing, which deals most of ARod’s stuff.

So looks like Milestones bats were priced an additional 4-5K over a regular HR bat.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by schubert1970
      I had this dilema when making my first Arod HR bat purchase. I could have bought 520, 521, 522, 523, 524 or 525. I'm sure there are a bunch of others you can find. I settled on #522 since it was more of a milestone bat by passing Williams and McCovey.

I did pay a few more $$ but IMHO I believe this to be a more unique/milestone item than the other bats that I was offered. Had I actually attended one of the games that AROD hit a homer, I would have bought that bat. Before I made my purchase I ran my ideas on this board and got some great feedback.

Currently MVP is offering the bat the passed Mike Schmidt...I guess this was also the first MLB reviewed HR using replay. I think
      Congrats. This will look great next to your ARod first HR baseball.
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• frikativ54
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by emann
        schubert1970

Just out of curiousity, how much of a premium did the A-Rod HR bats go for over a "normal" GU bat when originally offered?
        I looked for you as well. Didn't find what I was looking for, but I was struck by how many game-used and "limited edition" autographed items there were from mvpmarketingmanagement and mannyramirezauthentic. I love the ones where it says "Yankee for Life".

I respect A-Rod for his talent (I got to watching him growing up here in Seattle), but the every HR bats seems like it takes the concept of game-used too far. Is there really the demand out there for A-Rod's items that mvpmarketingmanagement needs to have 113 autographed "Yankee for Life" authentic jerseys?
        Les Zukor
        bagwellgameused@gmail.com
        Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
        (617) 682-0408

Comment

• schubert1970
          Banned
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by emann
          schubert1970

Just out of curiousity, how much of a premium did the A-Rod HR bats go for over a "normal" GU bat when originally offered?

About a 2k differential. You can typically work out a better deal if you pay cash.

Comment

• schubert1970
            Banned
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by joelsabi
            Congrats. This will look great next to your ARod first HR baseball.
            I'm glad you remembered my HR ball. lol....

I forgot to mention, along with that #522 bat I purchased. It took me several months to deal with Steiner to get the damn lineup card for that game on 4/16/08. They wanted 2k, then $1,500, then $1,000. Finally they put it in their auction and I paid $700.

Comment

• frikativ54
              • Dec 2007

About a 2k differential. You can typically work out a better deal if you pay cash.
              So they don't have to report for tax purposes?
              Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• schubert1970
                Banned
                • Jun 2008

Looking at Ebay on MVP Marketing offerings:

The HR passing Mickey Mantle goes for 15K or bo
                The HR passing Schmidt goes for 12.5 K or bo
                2 Non-Milestone HR goes for 8.5 K or bo
                GU bat used in final series 6 K or obo
                GU bat with “House Ruth Built” inscription 4K obo

These all offered by MVP Marketing, which deals most of ARod’s stuff.

So looks like Milestones bats were priced an additional 4-5K over a regular HR bat.

The HR passing Mantle is actually for RBI's, not HR's. That bat AROD wanted 25k or so. No one thought they could sell the bat with any type of mark up, so Arod has kept that one from the last thing I was told.

My own preference was to aquire a bat from a Yankee win @ Yankee Stadium.

I agree that all those inscriptions "House Ruth Built", "Madonna Loves Me" , "Boros Rocks" etc. are a waste.

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by frikativ54
                  I looked for you as well. Didn't find what I was looking for, but I was struck by how many game-used and "limited edition" autographed items there were from mvpmarketingmanagement and mannyramirezauthentic. I love the ones where it says "Yankee for Life".

I respect A-Rod for his talent (I got to watching him growing up here in Seattle), but the every HR bats seems like it takes the concept of game-used too far. Is there really the demand out there for A-Rod's items that mvpmarketingmanagement needs to have 113 autographed "Yankee for Life" authentic jerseys?
                  I think it is great what mvpmarketingmanagement and mannyramirezauthentic bring to the hobby. It brings opportunity for collectors at different income levels to get a part of history. It offers super high end stuff and offers something nice like these limited edition jerseys. i think there are at least 113 welloff parents out there willing to buys for that limited jersey as a birthday or christmas gift for their son. I have seen a couple of parents buy a game used bat for their sons a game used bat for their upcoming birthday at the Nationals so I know they are out there. There will always be a demand for high end stuff like Milestone HR bats because for such items the market extends past the ordinary demographics of serious hobbiest like people in our forum to
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• schubert1970
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2008

So they don't have to report for tax purposes?

You avoid the 3% from the credit card company......and other benefits.

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

I'm glad you remembered my HR ball. lol....

I forgot to mention, along with that #522 bat I purchased. It took me several months to deal with Steiner to get the damn lineup card for that game on 4/16/08. They wanted 2k, then $1,500, then $1,000. Finally they put it in their auction and I paid $700.
                      were you the only bidder?

very kewl to have a lineup card to go with the passes Ted Williams and Willie McCovey Homerun bat. I wish I was rolling like you.

i hope the Steiner lineup cards prices go back to normal next year. There was a jump of $500 for lineup cards and game baseballs by Steiner. I got a nice historical one from 2 seasons ago.
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• schubert1970
                        Banned
                        • Jun 2008

were you the only bidder?

very kewl to have a lineup card to go with the passes Ted Williams and Willie McCovey Homerun bat. I wish I was rolling like you.

i hope the Steiner lineup cards prices go back to normal next year. There was a jump of $500 for lineup cards and game baseballs by Steiner. I got a nice historical one from 2 seasons ago.

Thank God I was the only bidder, I was already tapped out and couldn't afford much more. I actually got the idea from Tony. I was looking at post from the past few years and he purchased a lineup for of his Arod HR bats.

Comment

• skyking26
                          • Dec 2005

Sweet, you sound like you have a nice collection!
                          Email sent..........
                          ROBERT KOPPEL
                          Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                          and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• frikativ54
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by skyking26
                            Email sent..........
                            Wow - I have to say, I was really impressed with that collection. I especially loved the first baseman's gloves. You should post the pictures of the gloves here, because that will give collectors an idea of what true game-used is. Those 1B gloves put my Bagwell game-ready glove to shame!

Enjoy your collection!
                            Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• joelsabi
                              • Aug 2005

Too much wear/use becomes uncollectable

Some collector like that super clean game issued jersey in their collection.
                              Then are some who like as much use as possible on a bat and jersey.

Is there a point where too much use or wear on a game used item becomes uncollectable or an eyesore to your collection.
                              For example,
                              Would a cracked bat make it into your collection?
                              Would a shattered bat make it into your collection?
                              Would a shredded football jersey have a chance in your collection?
                              Regards,
                              Joel S.
                              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• TriplexXxSports
                                • Jan 2009

Re: Too much wear/use becomes uncollectable

Blood, Mud, and Patina!!! That is where its at. I would be happy to put a destroyed jersey in my collection. It adds to the value, IMO, in the case of football jerseys - easy photo matches, essence of the game, etc....

MOST DEFINITELY!

Comment

Working...