Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Junk Game Used

Re: Too much wear/use becomes uncollectable

In some cases, too much use (more to do with millions of washings than blood or pine tar stains) may be an indication that the jersey has been recycled to the minors quite a bit since it was worn by the major leaguer. This sometimes makes the shirt seem less attractive to particular collectors.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

I have had bats (that I sold) that had lettering that was barely decipherable. I have also had a few that I had to use wood filler in order to display them.

At one time, I had a hat collection...but my office started stinking - even with plastic covers on them. Nasty.

I don't mind cracks or splits, but I want to read the name...and be able to display it.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    I have had bats (that I sold) that had lettering that was barely decipherable. I have also had a few that I had to use wood filler in order to display them.

At one time, I had a hat collection...but my office started stinking - even with plastic covers on them. Nasty.

I don't mind cracks or splits, but I want to read the name...and be able to display it.
    on the hats, did you spraying it with anything like fabric softner
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

I like as much game use as possible. No washed jerseys or bats that are barely used for me. Give me grass, dirt and pine tar!

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    I like as much game use as possible. No washed jerseys or bats that are barely used for me. Give me grass, dirt and pine tar!
    pinetar on a helmet looks greats. give me a vlad , a manny and an orlando cabrera.

grass and dirt stains on a jersey from sliding into third look great too. give me a reyes, an ichiro and a gardner.

a bat snapped into two with one's own leg, give me a bo jackson, milton bradley and a kemp.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Maple took care of me not collecting shattered bats. I will say whatever MLB did this past season must be working since I am seeing a lot more maple with cracks rather than being shattered.

If a bat is missing the label where the players name is I am fine with it as long as I can see it is clearly used by said player. The price also has to be much lower than a full bat. I have a couple Buhner's that split on the barrel and are missing his name but clearly he used them.

I have one bat without a handle and it still bothers me even though I have dups and purchased it like 3 years ago. So for me missing handles is where I draw the line. I would not be interested in just a handle either.

Hats, cleats and batting helmets can be hammered. I guess once they are cut up for cards is when I am no longer interested in them.
    Davis Emburey
    demburey@netzero.net
    Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    I think that's why the downtown Dug Out store MGR has given me good deals on Rox GU hats in the past. The store is small and she HATES the smell!

Thank god my basement is unfinished and open...

I collect hats because they are usually cheaper than Jerseys of Bats - even though most players use less hats in a season so there are fewer to go around!

- Chris

I love Items that Show lots of Use to them.Tar-Cleat Marks-Ball Marks-Dirt on Jerseys ETC.

Thanks
    Geoff

I love a jersey to show good wear, especially football and hockey! The more marks, rips, burns, the better in my opinion.

I do stop well before the smelly jerseys...nothing worse than bringing that locker room smell home. Always able to wash it out, but I often will leave those for the ones who like that stuff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Some collector like that super clean game issued jersey in their collection.
    Then are some who like as much use as possible on a bat and jersey.

Is there a point where too much use or wear on a game used item becomes uncollectable or an eyesore to your collection.
    For example,
    Would a cracked bat make it into your collection?
    Would a shattered bat make it into your collection?
    Would a shredded football jersey have a chance in your collection?

Would love to get my hands on Jorge Posada's game used batting helmet... You seen it? You cant barely see the NY logo in the front... and for the #20 in the back...

The helmet looks like it went to war and back...

I have a Scott Brosius from '99 season ... it has so much pine tar on it ... i made a mistake by putting it in a bat sock .. to make the story short... now Brosius bat got a lot of white lints where the pine tar is....

Anyone here know what is the best way to remove those lints without removing the pine tar?