Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junk Game Used

Hybrid View

Exclamation Junk Game Used

The A-Rod HR bat thread got me thinking: is there a certain point at which game used stuff becomes too junky to be desirable? I mean, if a player takes 15 hacks and hits homer 32 of his career, what in and of itself makes that non-milestone HR bat valuable in the first place? In my opinion, it's one thing if you can photomatch the bat, and it came from a legitimate milestone, but signing every bat for a different HR seems a bit junky to me.

Moreover, a legitimate game-used piece retains its value because it was pounded with and used until it was beaten up or cracked. I wouldn't want to own one of those A-Rod bats because the inscription seems too contrived to me. The same is the case for some of the so-called limited edition pieces from Steiner. If there are 300 game-model gloves for Alex Rodriguez, what makes any one of those unique? Anyone else feel the same way? Have a differing opinion? I am anxious to read your thoughts on the matter.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Re: Junk Game Used

I think that even a 'run of the mill' home run bat has a slight premium attached to it. The home run is the gem of being a hitter. Its the most popular type of hit, if you will. Lok how many game used bats are broken on foul balls. Sure it was used in a game, but it was lost to an unproductive at bat.

For a player now who hits the 19th HR of his career, its not a big deal. When they retire and have 500+ plus homers, it becomes more important.

I agree with the thought regarding the "limited" game model items. Those to me are mostly garbage. I personally even feel that way on game model (or game ready to use a buzzword) bats from any player.

It makes some sense on players that most people could never possibly own (a limited run of game model auto'd Mantle bats for example). But it seems like most of those products center around current players. Why would someone buy a Frank Thomas limited/signed model bat for $200+ when you can get a GU one for another $100 or so?

Question Re: Junk Game Used

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    I agree with the thought regarding the "limited" game model items. Those to me are mostly garbage. I personally even feel that way on game model (or game ready to use a buzzword) bats from any player.
    Why would you consider "game ready" to be a buzzword? I would pay more for game-ready than game-issued or game-model...
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Just my opinion on that term... I've seen it dropped into a number of auctions or sellers placing alot of emphasis on that term. To me, it's still not the direct connection to a player that GU has and isn't far above game issued items (and a good amount of times, it might be some unscrupulous type adding a number to the knob and some tar/rack streaks).

Question Re: Junk Game Used

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    Just my opinion on that term... I've seen it dropped into a number of auctions or sellers placing alot of emphasis on that term. To me, it's still not the direct connection to a player that GU has...
    But, by definition, isn't a game-ready item prepped by a player? For example, a game-ready glove may have oil in the pocket, a few dirt marks, a couple of ball marks, etc. Isn't that still a connection to the player? Maybe it's just me trying to feel better about a game-ready glove that's in my possession...
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Too much wear/use becomes uncollectable

Some collector like that super clean game issued jersey in their collection.
    Then are some who like as much use as possible on a bat and jersey.

Is there a point where too much use or wear on a game used item becomes uncollectable or an eyesore to your collection.
    For example,
    Would a cracked bat make it into your collection?
    Would a shattered bat make it into your collection?
    Would a shredded football jersey have a chance in your collection?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Re: Too much wear/use becomes uncollectable

Blood, Mud, and Patina!!! That is where its at. I would be happy to put a destroyed jersey in my collection. It adds to the value, IMO, in the case of football jerseys - easy photo matches, essence of the game, etc....

MOST DEFINITELY!

In some cases, too much use (more to do with millions of washings than blood or pine tar stains) may be an indication that the jersey has been recycled to the minors quite a bit since it was worn by the major leaguer. This sometimes makes the shirt seem less attractive to particular collectors.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

I have had bats (that I sold) that had lettering that was barely decipherable. I have also had a few that I had to use wood filler in order to display them.

At one time, I had a hat collection...but my office started stinking - even with plastic covers on them. Nasty.

I don't mind cracks or splits, but I want to read the name...and be able to display it.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]