Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Collecting outside your FANHOOD!!!!

Not even sure if FANHOOD is a term, but pretty sure most will know what I mean. I am a huge Yankees fan, and have bin for as long as I can remember. But lately I find myself selling off a lot of my Yankees GU gear, even from my favorite Yankee in Jeter. This is to feed my Ichiro collecting. I find it more fun to collect Ichiro, his GU gear seems to be a great deal hard to find, with makes it a lot more rewarding to get something new of his. After all isn't a hobby about having fun? I am torn between being a faithful Yankees fan and the fun of game used collecting. Has anyone else had this problem, or can anyone share there opinion. Can I be both a Yankees fan and a GU collector who loves to collect outside his FANHOOD?

Re: Collecting outside your FANHOOD!!!!

I agree. I was big into collecting Arod game used bats. I had 10 of them at one time. But then I realized that there is nothing rare or even unique about Arod items. They are a dime a dozen. I had always persued Mcgwire bats, but top quality bats are rarely ever offered. But this past year I picked up four perfect Mac bats. I started to sell of and trade some of my Arod bats to make funds for more Mcgwire bats. It is alot more rewarding to me to wait and find a really nice Mcgwire bat, it could take a long time but eventually something nice will show.

This is something I have been running into. I have always stuck strictly to Cincinnati Reds game used items, but now I am a point where I am thinking about reasonable prices Hall Of Fame bats. Not sure how I would feel if I ever ended up adding a Cubs bat or something like that to my collection, maybe I should just stick to my Reds.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    This is something I have been running into. I have always stuck strictly to Cincinnati Reds game used items, but now I am a point where I am thinking about reasonable prices Hall Of Fame bats. Not sure how I would feel if I ever ended up adding a Cubs bat or something like that to my collection, maybe I should just stick to my Reds.
    Whatever you do stay away from the Cubs!!!

Scott,

I ran into this at the end of last years MLB season. I too am a lifelong Yankee fan, and when they were out of playoff contention, I was rooting hard for the Cubs so I could possibly get my hands on a Soriano world series bat. You don't have to change who you root for to collect what you like. I chase that rare Ichiro!

Mark

Oops..... I meant, I say chase that rare Ichiro

Looks like you can sell off some of your A-Rods, since it looks like there's a lot of his g/u items out there. That should help get Ichiro items. Check MLB.com Auctions as well; from time to time, they have neat Ichiro collector's items.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

I don't necessarily collect players from my favorite teams but instead try and collect guys from my hometown and some that went to the college I work at. I went outside of this when I picked up a Rickey Henderson and a couple of Darryl Strawberry bats. They were favorite players of mine in the 80's so I wanted to have bats of them for my collection although they don't necessarily "fit". It was more of a nostalgia thing for me. I say collect whatever you want as long it makes you happy!!

I revamped my collection from all newer Mets items to late 70's early 80's.Sold alot of the newer stuff and started from scratch.It;s amazin if I wanna spend the money on David Wright my favorite on the team his items are not rare except his 2004 Futures game jersey or a rookie bat.But I have been looking for a Joel Youngblood or Doug Flynn Mets gamer since I started collecting 3 years ago.I was fortunate to get an Expos Gamer from 84 for Flynn and his ceremony jersey but still no 79 80 or 81 gamer.So where are they ..Help

Thanks guys for the input.

Mark was that a froyden slip there!