Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: how will Jackie Robinson Day jerseys be sold?

Quote Originally Posted by larry bourget View Post
    My email from marc.himelstein@detroittigers.com said he had 22 Tigers game worn jerseys, ALL THE STARTING PLAYERS, from yesterday's Jackie Robinson Day at Comerica Park, if you are interested, contact him, there were no prices attached.

LB
    I was in Detroit last Friday and of the 22 Tigers, i think i only counted 6 left.

LB

Here's mine of the 22. (Polanco)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The D-backs have a signed Chris Young #42 jersey from last year on their charity auction.

I think the Chris Young is bench-worn, since I believe he didn't play.

Dodgers have listed several on MLB.com including Manny Ramirez. Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    probably for some of the same reasons columbus is given credit for discovering america or edison for inventing the light bulb.

the immensely unpopular and risky decision to actually "break the barrier" was made by dodgers president branch rickey. it was made irrespective of robinson. it had to have been given that robinson had no authority to make such a decision; he was playing in the negro leagues when rickey got the idea and subsequently signed him to the dodgers' farm team with the intent to use him to eventually break the barrier. had robinson not even existed, it still would've been broken that year as rickey was intent on it and certainly had no shortage of highly talented black players to choose from at the time. rickey simply would've found another player to do it. on the other hand, had rickey not existed, it wouldn't have been broken that year and may not have been for many years to come.

none of this is meant to take away from robinson's impressive accomplishments or the struggles he overcame. it'd simply be nice for the MLB to give an ounce of credit to the man who actually came up with the idea and implemented it rather than seemingly given the entire credit to robinson. while robinson certainly took more lumps for it, the actual decision to cross that threshold was rickeys' so in my mind he deserves most of the credit.

rudy.
    Lets not forget about Larry Doby too. He came in just after Robinson did and he gets absolutely no love at all. Its too bad.

Nice reminder, Nate! Larry Doby was here in MN for the 1st Jackie Robinson Day. It was an honor just to shake his hand. I felt it was too obtrusive to ask for an autograph since he was willing just to talk ... then someone else came along with a ball for him to sign. I was soooo glad cuz then I got one out too.

I had been sitting down at my seat when a Twins "higher up" came down to my seat and said, "I did NOT tell you that Larry Doby in up in Box XXX. I could get fired if I told you Larry Doby is in Box XXX." What a thrill!!! I have photo of him throwing out the first pitch that day and Mrs. Jackie Robinson was there for the retiring of the number 42.

Larry Doby went through every bit as much as Jackie Robinson ... just in the AL and a few weeks later. We all owed him a debt too. RIP, Larry, and thank you!

Always looking for Dodger Game Used Jerseys

Banned

ndevlin and cordovacollector, you are right on. It was great to see the Indians take a game to wear #14 Doby jerseys as a squad a year or 2 ago.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

The D-backs started putting some of theirs up. Upton is up there.