Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vin Scully

Re: Vin Scully

It's all about who you grew up listening to. I would guess Vin Scully has introduced baseball on the radio to more listeners than anyone else. How many announcers are still left that can say they did Brooklyn Dodger games? None

I grew up with Harry Caray and Jack Brickhouse in Chicago. Those two voices will always take me back to a great time. Oh, and by the way that's Harry Caray with the SOX and not his stint with the Cubs.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

None better than Jack Buck - I know that as a kid, my Dad would turn down any Cards broadcast that was not on KMOX just to listen to Jack...

Not arguing about Scully - but rarely does a broadcaster bring tears to your eyes the way Jack could. He is sorely missed in my home. Sorely.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post

Not arguing about Scully - but rarely does a broadcaster bring tears to your eyes the way Jack could. He is sorely missed in my home. Sorely.
    I'm pretty sure Jack made a lot of A's fans cry after game one of the World Series in 1988 - "I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!!"
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

He called the game. He told you the score, he told you the balls and strikes, he told you what the hitter hit in earlier innings, how the pitcher was pitching. It was all about the game, the stuff in between the lines.

And then, once in awhile, he'd talk about Jackie, or Campy or Koufax and Drysdale. Or the hapless Dodgers of the 1940's. And he'd mention Mel Ott, his favorite player, or Mickey and DiMaggio. And the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers or 1981 Dodgers.

But, it always about the game, the game in between the lines.

When I was a kid, I had a small radio under my pillow and would fall asleep to the sound of Vin (Jerry Doggett, did 3-6 innings, Vin 1-3, 6-9) calling Koufax, Wills, Willie and Tommy Davis, vs. the hated Giants, Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Perry, Cepada, et all.

Nothing better, never.

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    I'm pretty sure Jack made a lot of A's fans cry after game one of the World Series in 1988 - "I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!!"
    My point exactly - Jack even made competing teams happy once in a while...I'm sure that's a call that every Dodgers fan will never forget once they've heard it. Timeless.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curt Gowdey had the best baseball voice IMHO. He could call a game....

It used to be that we could hear Scully here in Cleveland broadcasting the World Series for national radio, before they stuck us with McCarver. It was a little slice of heaven listening to him call games.

Jack Buck, to me, was the only other announcer who could be mentioned in the same breath as Scully. (Although I'm too young to have heard Red Barber.) I'd listen to those two read a phone book.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Harry Kalas would be the best announcer for me and all the Phillies Fans out there.