Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie offers

Newbie offers

I have noticed recently alot of newbies coming in and trying to make offers on things that are posted in various threads. Sometimes these are the holy grails of people's collections that I have seen them looking for for years. Then for someone to come on and say, I want to buy that after coming on here for only a month or so?

I'm curious if these newbies are coming in with legitimate offers or what others stories anyone has on these unsolicited requests. I'm sure some of them are way out there.

Not trying to offend anyone here, just that I know I would be burned bad if someone comes on at the right time and works a deal on something I have been waiting for years to come up.

Re: Newbie offers

Quote Originally Posted by jppopma View Post
    I have noticed recently alot of newbies coming in and trying to make offers on things that are posted in various threads. Sometimes these are the holy grails of people's collections that I have seen them looking for for years. Then for someone to come on and say, I want to buy that after coming on here for only a month or so?

I'm curious if these newbies are coming in with legitimate offers or what others stories anyone has on these unsolicited requests. I'm sure some of them are way out there.

Not trying to offend anyone here, just that I know I would be burned bad if someone comes on at the right time and works a deal on something I have been waiting for years to come up.
    I am new to the game used market and have shown extreme interest for the past 2 months. I guess that makes me a "newbie". I know I have only been on here for a few months and if someone offered something and I wanted it and had the money for it. I have just as much right as you do to buy it. Now granted I have not bought any high $ stuff since I have been on here, i'm here to defend some of the new guys who are interested in game used items. For example, someone is offering a game used Dan Marino jersey and I have the money and make a legitimate offer, how am I in the wrong? This forum has been made to have game used collectors help out others. Not to complain or bring others down. Over the past few months I have visited this site daily and enjoy looking at the memoribilia people have and just received. In my opinion making a thread like this is a little uncalled for.

Banned

I hope the person that started the thread doesn't feel entitled to a "holy grail" item. Like the poster previous to me, a "newbie" has every right to an item as anyone else does here. If you've been looking for an item for say 15 years and a newbie beats you to it....tough. That's life. Keep looking. It sure sounds to me like the person who started this thread feels its theirs because of their time spent looking and I have to strongly disagree. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    I hope the person that started the thread doesn't feel entitled to a "holy grail" item. Like the poster previous to me, a "newbie" has every right to an item as anyone else does here. If you've been looking for an item for say 15 years and a newbie beats you to it....tough. That's life. Keep looking. It sure sounds to me like the person who started this thread feels its theirs because of their time spent looking and I have to strongly disagree. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Aaron
    Well said Aaron!

We were all new at some point...

The state of the economy dictates who buys what - and if I am selling, and someone is willing to pay my reserve...it's theirs.

How do you feel about 'newbie' sellers that put too much value on their items - and won't budge on offers...? Same principle - it's capitalism. Our whole society functions on this type of stuff.

If you've been around for a while, you develop a thickness to your 'skin' - although, I have seen some new buyers that buy something I want at a good price, and re-list it at twice what they bought it at - but oh well. No reason to bellyache about it.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've had to pass up on quite a few choice items here recently - simply because I dont have the funds. If someone else is in a position to buy and I'm not, so be it.

Im in the fortunate position on the board.I have been offered items through email by members before they hit the board.First come first serve and if its a grail and someone else bought it contact the newbie and offer more than they paid.

New to the GUF does not necessarily mean new to the hobby. I personally know of at least 2 veteran collectors who hardly ever post and are looking for rare and holy grail type items. One of which I hooked up to get a 69 Swoboda WS bat which a new collector was offering on this very forum (so it can work both ways). If these gentleman would post they would be newbies to the forum but been collecting long before this forum ever existed.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Even as a hobby vet like myself with upcoming 30 years in, it's all about first come, first serve..the almighty dollar. If I lose as suggested, it's my fault for not checking the boards enough, nobody elses.

On a similar note, for years if I see something I like on ebay but a buddy bid first - I respectively back away and let them pursue it rather than try an outbid a friend...but that is me.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

If I am reading jppoma post correctly, it sounds like he's point newbies that are making offers on items that are not for sale. I had a offer on a bat recently that I have no intention on selling. It's a bat that I was after for two years. Just use so sense when making offers on things, don't make offers on peoples newly aquired holy grails.