Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rank difficulty of authenticating GU items

Was wondering if you could rank the following GU item in order of difficulty of authenticating as Game used.

Fielding Glove
    Bat
    Batting Glove
    Hat
    Jersey
    Helmet
    Cleats
    Pants
    Wristband
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Re: Rank difficulty of authenticating GU items

1 Hat almost impossible unless great use for modern ones as EXACT SAME hats are sold to the public. Vintage are easier as names were sometimes but not always stitched in.

2 Wristband so many different players wear the same style bands and even with numbers on them really hard.

3 Batting Glove a little easier than wrist bands, as some modern gloves feature # and player name. Vintage batting gloves almost impossible.

4 Pants difficult unless good use, stains or tears but most pants have year tags so they like jerseys can at least be attributed to game issued.

5 Jersey see above reasons for jersey

6 Helmet's yes they make replicas and yes just like any other item there are people who will attempt to fake them however Most helmets have very distinct marks/use which are photo matchable.

7 Cleats use on cleats should be very noticeable they get abused with dirt, grass and should be easily matched.

8 Fielding Glove again use, scuff marks, placement of numbers or stitched name all easily photo matchable.

9 Bat video photos you name it a bats traits are unmistakable .

Interesting to know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1986&2004Bosox View Post
    8 Fielding Glove again use, scuff marks, placement of numbers or stitched name all easily photo matchable.
    I would have to disagree about fielder's gloves. Yes - you can style match the stitching, but that doesn't prove that a player used that identical mitt. Many players give their game-issued gloves to friends, who in turn beat them up at the local ballyard, and then sell them as game-used. That's why you need to be really leery of any glove, unless it comes from a trusted source or the player himself. I would collect more gloves, but they are just so hard to authenticate.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

I would totally disagree with you. You can tell MLB use from non MLB use and pics of gloves are very distinctive. Getty images is a great source.

I would totally disagree with you. You can tell MLB use from non MLB use and pics of gloves are very distinctive. Getty images is a great source.
    Can you give me examples of what you are talking about? Pics would help.

Thanks!
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

pocket of the glove, length of laces, scrapes from making diving plays etc. Trust me you can photo match gloves. You can most likely even match up your bagwell glove

pocket of the glove, length of laces, scrapes from making diving plays etc. Trust me you can photo match gloves. You can most likely even match up your bagwell glove
    Even though my Bagwell glove was most likely a backup glove? I can't find any pics of Bagwell using that glove. If you could help me out, I would be eternally grateful.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

team photographers are a good source I will see what I can do.

team photographers are a good source I will see what I can do.
    That is absolutely wonderful. Even if Bagwell used it for a game or two, then I would like to know. It was a 1999-2001 era glove. Email me, and I can send you more information. It was a tan glove, with light oil and a bit of dirt. It does look like someone used it for a little while, but it definitely did not take the pounding that heavily game used gloves do.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408