Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: Make me feel better?

Quote Originally Posted by gameused fan View Post
    I'm not a guy who has ever used the hobby as a way to make a quick buck. (Not that there is anything wrong with that). I don't even really know how to, and the opportunity is never really presented to make a big killing, anyway.

And then tonight happens, and I wonder why I'm such a moron.

The Super Bowl ends. Santonio Holmes is named MVP. Since I love this hobby, I knew about J.O. Sports, Inc. and have been on the site numerous times just to look at its cool stuff.

I know they have Holmes jerseys. So, I go to see if they still have some after his MVP performance. I figure, at $1,500, I can probably flip this in one week and make a few thousand.

They still have Holmes jerseys. This is my lucky day! They still are listed at $1,500.

I stare at my computer screen. I'm thinking this is the moment people talk about. I add a Holmes jersey to my cart to see if it will actually process at $1,500. It does.

Then I stare some more. I don't have a great deal of money. What if I'm wrong and Holmes' jerseys don't go that far up in the next week? What if I'm stuck with it at a price that might be a bit much for me?

Even though I know these suckers are going to be a hot buy, I leave the website. I call a friend and tell him I think I probably just screwed up. I go back to J.O. Sports, Inc. just to see if there was any activity.

The jerseys have been raised to $3,000. A few minutes later, they go to $5,000.

Man, I suck.
    True you probably cost yourself a buck or two in the short term. But the really idiots are the ones paying 3-6,000 for the jersey. A year from now nobody will remember Holmes or what he did in the Super Bowl and won't be able to get 1,000 for the jersey. J.O. is the real winner. We live in a right now world and a month from now his jerseys will be back to the normal inflated price of 1,500.00. Ofcourse Im a little bias, as a Rams fan was pulling for Kurt to get another ring

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's only clothing. I mean, there are plenty of other things to be depressed about than what you could have bought. I know what regret is like, but seriously, man, it's a jersey. It's not like you are dealing with the death of a friend, failure, or clinical depression. There will be a "next time" to make money. Just pass it off as a lesson learned, and you'll be fine next time.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's only clothing. I mean, there are plenty of other things to be depressed about than what you could have bought. I know what regret is like, but seriously, man, it's a jersey. It's not like you are dealing with the death of a friend, failure, or clinical depression. There will be a "next time" to make money. Just pass it off as a lesson learned, and you'll be fine next time.
    Well.... technically he did fail in making money and or being able to pull the trigger and buy it, but I definitely do agree that there's no way his jersey will be worth that much in a few months. Man, I don't think I'm so good in this whole "making you feel better" thing. Well, looks like psychiatrist is out as a career. Ricardo
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

HAHAHAHHAHAH.

Yeah, I indeed failed. Ain't no doubt about it. You're just telling the truth. I appreciate that. I think.

I guess it doesn't matter what the jersey was going to be worth in a few months, though. If I still had it in a few months, that means I was wrong about making quick money on it.

If that had happened to me, I would kick myself. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if I got an email on Monday from the seller telling me that the Holmes jersies at $1500 had sold out and the website was a little late in reflecting that development.

Quote Originally Posted by gameused fan View Post
    HAHAHAHHAHAH.

Yeah, I indeed failed. Ain't no doubt about it. You're just telling the truth. I appreciate that. I think.

I guess it doesn't matter what the jersey was going to be worth in a few months, though. If I still had it in a few months, that means I was wrong about making quick money on it.
    Yea it's one of those quick things that it's a gamble especially with that much money. If you can afford to lose it, then go ahead, but if not it might get you into trouble. Anyway, I think every collector has an item that they are kicking themselves over not getting, welcome to the club if you aren't already a member.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

I was thinking the same thing. Dont feel bad I guarentee you could have paid for the item to only see a refund Monday morning as the company will use that line in their website that says "prices are subject to change without notice" or some crap.

I tried to make a purchase of a Sean Taylor autographed mini helmet when i woke up and found he had passed away from a local dealer who had a signing with him not to soon before his murder. Price was like 70 on the website, made the order paid to only have it refunded and to tell me the price was now $250. Needless to say I was pretty upset and have not shopped with the seller since.

Cool Re: Make me feel better?

While it's possible you could have gotten it at the original price. I think that your window for big profits would have already passed. Even if they shipped it out tomorrow the few days in transit makes the window for max profit very small.

By having in hand now and listing it on eBay, you would have been able to really cash in, but after the first 2-3 days, the big window is gone. After 7 days the hype and high prices drop quite a bit usually. People will either have found what they wanted or after a few days realized it wasn't something they really needed.

Again, that's not to say you're better off the way it is now, as you might have made a profit but it's a gamble I wouldn't have taken because of the time involved. Unless of course I already had it in hand, then it's a no brainer, sell sell sell!
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by cigarman44 View Post
    True you probably cost yourself a buck or two in the short term. But the really idiots are the ones paying 3-6,000 for the jersey. A year from now nobody will remember Holmes or what he did in the Super Bowl and won't be able to get 1,000 for the jersey. J.O. is the real winner. We live in a right now world and a month from now his jerseys will be back to the normal inflated price of 1,500.00. Ofcourse Im a little bias, as a Rams fan was pulling for Kurt to get another ring
    I was pulling for Kurt too, but I disagree with your analysis. Considering that Steelers jerseys are regarded as some of the most difficult to source, that the majority of the JO inventory had the interesting 75th anniversary team patch on them, and that Holmes made one of the greatest plays in what many are calling the greatest SB ever, I'd say that $1500 was a steal for one of his GU jerseys.

I bet the Holmes jersey on EBay goes for below $1,500. Also, the GUU store is selling a 2007 Holmes gamer for $2K (as of last night). If somebody thinks the price of Holmes jerseys is going to reach and stabalize at over $2500, they should get the one on GUU, before the price gets raised again.

Due to past Superbowl MVPs like Larry Brown (Cowboys), Mark Rypian (Redskins), Deion Branch, ect., I think $1500 is too much to pay, unless you're a die-hard Steelers fan and aren't buying for investment purposes.