Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
Joel -

I was going to use that example!!! Especially in light of the statement earlier about someone not wanting a 2009 Post Season Yankees jersey if tagged as 2008 even though the carry-over is possible.

Now Joel - and I'm surprised no one else caught your typo - I'd like to see photo proof of this one:

18 years after his all too early exit from this mortal plane. (Just giving you grief Joel! And you as a Mod HAVE the EDIT feature! )

Anyway, I would like to add to this discussion (if I may) the fact that the same thing happens in the Auto side of the hobby - if a guy played his career on an AL team - do want his Auto on an NL ball? There are a TON of Ruth's out there on vintage NL balls.

As an example of why you have to do your research (besides the fact the guy may have done a coaching or managing stint in the opposite league) is this ball I just picked up and why I bought it even though it was on the 'wrong league's' ball:

(I will add pics of this piece as soon as I have time to take them, edit them (resizing), etc.)

This ball was a steal no matter how you slice it... on eBay, no other bids - won for $99.99 FREE shipping w/ JSA LOA for Clean Sweep Auctions Lot#887

It is listed as a 1933 New York Giants ball w/ decent Hubbell and possible faint Ott.

From the seller's input and research, he was able to pull a few more names:

Hal Schumacher
Hi Bell
Freddie Fitzsimmons
Jo-Jo Moore
Homer Peel
Lefty O'Doul
Glenn Spencer
Travis Jackson
Blondy Ryan

It appears to have Bill Terry on the Sweet Spot (which would make sense as he was Player/Mgr).

Here's where it gets interesting... it is signed on a Blue/Red Stitch Official AMERICAN League (William Harridge) Ball. The Giants were a NATIONAL League team.

I did my research and Harridge became AL Pres in 1931. ALL Balls (AL and NL) went to ALL Red Stitching in 1934.

In 1933 the Giants were World Series Champs defeating the Washington Senators.

It is possible (and would not be a huge stretch since 'store model' balls from this time period [Great Depression] are scarce) that this is a GU ball from one of the 1933 WS Games played at Griffith Stadium.

The ball itself - regardless of sigs and heritage - is worth around $600 to $700 + just due to scarcity of early AL and NL multi color stitched balls and that alone is what I based my bid on. The autos and or it's potential provenance are icing on the cake.

All the best -

Chris
Chris,

You mean independence wasn't in 1796?

I thought about posing the Maris Jersey as a scenario to Justin but I don't know him too well yet. Besides you tell the story better than I would have.

Thanks for the additional example too. One of the things that strikes me about carryovers is that I see them as a possible steal as many collector will shy away from such item if they are not open to the possibility of crossovers, resulting in less bids at auction.