Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: O.T:Brother says McGwire used steroids

It was a thrill for me to meet Mark many years ago and to talk to him and what I found was a guy who didn't crave the limelight. He is not a self-promoter rather he let his bat do the talking. He could have signed some big memorabilia deals in 1998 and didn't.

He probably has many regrets, and most people do. Now his brother is going to try to use many secrets for the sake of easy money in his pocket. A shame.

I think you are right that he took the advice of his attorney while he didn't seek the advice of a Public Relations firm, but that seems to be Mark.

Luckily he didn't pull a Palmeiro so I don't think he has any "cover-ups" or back tracking rather more just a come clean like Andy Petitte did in a very simple statement and then we can get him in the HOF.

Mark, call me, I can help!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

Good statement Andrew. I look at it like this. If he did do steriods, and I know everyone has their theories, but I never saw him do it, so I'm not going to accuse him, but say he did do them as an example. At least he didn't lie about it. America is a forgiving bunch. I hope this will all pass in time. I also hope this will put more Mac memorabilia out there as I'd love a game used jersey of Mark with awesome provanence like a 1990 World Series jersey or a 2001 Cards gamer.

Aaron

I will never forget the 1998 season that is why my id is 70to66. Really I don't think Mac cares if he gets in or not, he did not seem to like all the attention the chase brought him in 1998 and this debate will follow him the rest of his life.
    70to66

Banned

The only way McGwire ever gets into the Hall of Fame is by purchasing a ticket. No chance.

Quote Originally Posted by BaseballGM View Post
    The only way McGwire ever gets into the Hall of Fame is by purchasing a ticket. No chance.
    One thing you can I think definitively say, is never, ever say never. There are a number of writers that think given time he might get in. Heck, a number of the ESPN writers continue to vote for him and Peter Gammons just said in an interview this week that he thinks given time, there will be enough support to get McGwire in the Hall.

My question for those that say he is not qualified for the HOF no matter whether he took steroids or not, what would have qualified him? He has 583 homers, would 600 have done it 625, 650? What is the magic number that absent 3000 or more hits 1600 or more RBI's etc., what would be that magic homer number that would put him in if there was absolutely no reason to think he had ever taken steroids? I am convinced that Mark would have reached at least 625 homers probably more if he would have played another season or two despite the mounting injuries. He never cared about those numbers yet what would be enough to put him in Cooperstown for those that say he is a one trick pony and 583 is not enough?
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.