Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

O.T:Brother says McGwire used steroids

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3851381

Do you think he will ever get in the HOF?

Rudy

Re: O.T:Brother says McGwire used steroids

Ouch. Somehow I don't believe Mac will get back with his brother just yet......
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Interesting story, but I dont need Mac's brother's book to tell me what I already know.

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    Ouch. Somehow I don't believe Mac will get back with his brother just yet......
    It's interesting because these claims fill in some time elements from a brother that had some knowledge. So if 1994 was the 1st year he used steroids and obviously didn't use them that long as he switched to the over the counter legal Andro and Creatine in 1998.

Mac's rookie year record of 49 HRs is untainted and possibly everything through 1993 and possibly everything from 1998 on so the questionable years were 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997.

I am still of the opinion that if you could buy it legally at GNC in your local shopping center, like Andro and Creatine, then you cannot be punished for that.

Now I would like to see Mark come clean with what he was doing and then see what he really could have done without steroids.

Keep in mind that if a player hit 30 HRs with steroids, he maybe could have hit 20 without steroids.

If you ever met Mark or his brother Dan (don't know Jay) in the early 90's they are both huge men.

Mark was hitting HRs back in High School and USC and early in his career before even Canseco accused him.

Mark, come clean, and let's get you into the HOF!

Interesting story, but I dont need Mac's brother's book to tell me what I already know.
    Jim - This could be why no publisher is buying it as it is a short story and Peter Gammons just summarized it. lol
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    It's interesting because these claims fill in some time elements from a brother that had some knowledge. So if 1994 was the 1st year he used steroids and obviously didn't use them that long as he switched to the over the counter legal Andro and Creatine in 1998.

Mac's rookie year record of 49 HRs is untainted and possibly everything through 1993 and possibly everything from 1998 on so the questionable years were 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997.

I am still of the opinion that if you could buy it legally at GNC in your local shopping center, like Andro and Creatine, then you cannot be punished for that.

Now I would like to see Mark come clean with what he was doing and then see what he really could have done without steroids.

Keep in mind that if a player hit 30 HRs with steroids, he maybe could have hit 20 without steroids.

If you ever met Mark or his brother Dan (don't know Jay) in the early 90's they are both huge men.

Mark was hitting HRs back in High School and USC and early in his career before even Canseco accused him.

Jim - This could be why no publisher is buying it as it is a short story and Peter Gammons just summarized it. lol

Good points. I mean GNC sells the Andro, I have known people who have taken it and its a fair supplement. I know its outlawed in the game currently but if you but it at a health store, certainly you can't punish for it. Although I never met Jay, I know he used to work at a Copeland's Sporting goods store back in the mid 90's. I was there Christmas shopping with my family when I was in about 7th grade and knew he worked in the weightlifting department as he was an amateur bodybuilder. I did a double take when I walked by the golf part of the store and saw my boyhood hero hitting golf balls into a simulated screen. It was Mark. I walked over and when he was done, I briefly got to talk to him. I told him we missed him and how I hoped he recovered quickly as he was out with plantar fasciaitis (sp?). He was gracious as he always is. It was auite fun for me at 13 to see my favorite ball played and have him be courteous outside of the ballpark on his own time. Just wish I had a camera with me.

I'm a firm believer in treating family with respect. I don't care if you don't get along with them. Blood is thicker than water. You need to keep family private in my opinion.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post

I agree with you. McGwire's best advice would be to take LaRussa's and come clean. You did it or you did not. I truely believe the correct approach and a re-entry into BB as a coach will get him to the Hall eventually. Staying mum will keep him right where he is: declining votes by the year...

Mark was always a great HR hitter. His first hit as a little leaguer was a HR over the fence. His numbers may have been closer to Kingman's without steroid aid.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Banned

I know there are a lot of opinions on Mark's 2005 testimony. To be honest, what can you do? He took the advise of his lawyers and said what they advised him. I think you have to trust in your lawyers. I work for an attorney and although I have studied the law and know it more than the average bear, I still would take whatever advise I was advised to say. Its easy to sit back and say he should have talked if he did do it, or he should say x, y and z. But in all fairness, he did what he was advised. Ask yourself, what would you do in his situation. As I get older in life, I realize things aren't always as they seem. Like Mark said, if a player says no, he's not believed, if he says yes, he risks enless government investigations. Maybe there is more than one would realize? He's a guy who doesn't like the limelight too much and his privacy. Just ask yourself, what would you do?

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    I know there are a lot of opinions on Mark's 2005 testimony. To be honest, what can you do? He took the advise of his lawyers and said what they advised him. I think you have to trust in your lawyers. I work for an attorney and although I have studied the law and know it more than the average bear, I still would take whatever advise I was advised to say. Its easy to sit back and say he should have talked if he did do it, or he should say x, y and z. But in all fairness, he did what he was advised. Ask yourself, what would you do in his situation. As I get older in life, I realize things aren't always as they seem. Like Mark said, if a player says no, he's not believed, if he says yes, he risks enless government investigations. Maybe there is more than one would realize? He's a guy who doesn't like the limelight too much and his privacy. Just ask yourself, what would you do?

Aaron
    I'd say I didn't or did, given the situation, but that is me.
    ROBERT KOPPEL

I think when it is all said and done.......McGwire gets a pass and ends up in the Hall.

He is good for baseball, always a gentlemen, a class act. Always was.

The congressional hearing was tragic. Dismal for all involved. Enough said about that.

But here is my point.....

Mark gets NOTHING........NOTHING......if he doen't come clean.

Mark needs to understand....Us fans all loved him. 1998 was the greatest single year in baseball history in anyone's life who is 60 years old or younger (and maybe for thousands older than 60 too!). If a fan doesn't agree to that, then they're just fooling themselves. His battle with Sammy Sosa re-energized baseball into America's favorite past time again. And it's been hot ever since.

At this point in time, you can almost cut the feeling in the air with a knife: Baseball fans are essentially BEGGING Mark McGwire to set the record straight....just tell the tuth.

He would find a whirlwind of respect and a titalwave of forgiveness flow in his direction....and probably feel the weight of the world lifted from his shoulders. Human nature respects honesty.....the forgiveness WILL come, Mark.......and you will get your pass to the Hall. Just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    I think when it is all said and done.......McGwire gets a pass and ends up in the Hall.

He is good for baseball, always a gentlemen, a class act. Always was.

The congressional hearing was tragic. Dismal for all involved. Enough said about that.

But here is my point.....

Mark gets NOTHING........NOTHING......if he doen't come clean.

Mark needs to understand....Us fans all loved him. 1998 was the greatest single year in baseball history in anyone's life who is 60 years old or younger (and maybe for thousands older than 60 too!). If a fan doesn't agree to that, then they're just fooling themselves. His battle with Sammy Sosa re-energized baseball into America's favorite past time again. And it's been hot ever since.

At this point in time, you can almost cut the feeling in the air with a knife: Baseball fans are essentially BEGGING Mark McGwire to set the record straight....just tell the tuth.

He would find a whirlwind of respect and a titalwave of forgiveness flow in his direction....and probably feel the weight of the world lifted from his shoulders. Human nature respects honesty.....the forgiveness WILL come, Mark.......and you will get your pass to the Hall. Just do it.
    Could not have said it better Sue.
    ROBERT KOPPEL