Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: What's the best piece of sports memorabilia you got at a flea market, thrift store or yard sale?

Got a nice 1977 LS Tom Underwood (Phillies) game used bat at an antique store for $15. Number 34 on the knob, great bat. I wrote to Underwood and sent him pics and he said that it was his bat. I have never seen another legitimate Underwood bat offered for sale.

When I was a kid, I bought a mint 1957 Topps Yankee Power Hitters card (Mantle/Berra) and a 1957 Topps Al Ciccotte (Yanks) card for $5.

A few years ago, at an antique store, I picked up about 15 1955 Dairy Queen Big League stars statues (including Mantle, Pee Wee, Campy, etc) for .25 each. Mantle sells for $200+. Also got a beautiful 1940's-50's figurine of the Cuban baseball mascot for the Habana Leones for $2 (The H one in the photo below)

Re: What's the best piece of sports memorabilia you got at a flea market, thrift store or yard sale?

Not me, but I know of a local elderly man who worked at Goodwill and he got a 1920s autograph book signed by Babe Ruth, Jim Thrope, Jimmie Foxx and many others. After he died, his daughter consigned it to Mastro and it sold for $7,000+.

Also, I know a guy who owns a little used book store about two blocks away from my home. He came to work one morning and some had dropped off a box of books at his door (not unusual). One of the books was a first edition 'Grapefruit' book signed by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. He sent the book to PSA/DNA and the signatures were genuine. He has no idea who dropped off the books.

Banned

I have found a couple items living in the seattle area. We used to have a swap meat called MIDWAY unfortunately the propert was bought and Lowes moved in HOWEVER....I managed to find a game used Dave Cochrane that I sold on ebay and it found it's way into the hands of MEARS (http://www.mearsonline.com/forsale/item/?id=2640) I think I got about 125.00 for it. I have also found a game used Jamie Moyer 2000 Seattle Mariners home jersey (still in my collection today) a Cortez Kennedy game used seahawks home jersey (still in my collection) and a bunch of common items like signed baseballs, cards and posters.

At a neighborhood garage sale in the Los Angeles area in the 1970's, I found a very unusual collectible. A charity with Hollywood and sports connections had asked for donations from celebrities for an auction at a fundraiser event they were going to have. One of the items that did not make the cut for the auction that was instead for sale at their garage sale was a Bill Shoemaker jockey riding silk jacket that had a stain on it. I happily relieved them of this item for $2.00. Although not a horse racing fan, I wish I had kept this item.

Tom Duino

Banned

My Johnny Pesky came from a Goodwin Industries Store in the New England area. Originally, it was mixed in with a bag of old clothes that were dropped into one of their used clothing bins.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 012562 View Post
    At a neighborhood garage sale in the Los Angeles area in the 1970's, I found a very unusual collectible. A charity with Hollywood and sports connections had asked for donations from celebrities for an auction at a fundraiser event they were going to have. One of the items that did not make the cut for the auction that was instead for sale at their garage sale was a Bill Shoemaker jockey riding silk jacket that had a stain on it. I happily relieved them of this item for $2.00. Although not a horse racing fan, I wish I had kept this item.

Tom Duino
    Hi Tom: Noted your handle and the fact we communicated years ago about Dave Kingman and a mutual interest. Shoot me an email if you would skyking442@hotmail.com. Thanks - Bob

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    My Johnny Pesky came from a Goodwin Industries Store in the New England area. Originally, it was mixed in with a bag of old clothes that were dropped into one of their used clothing bins.

Jim
    Jim that is a sweet find !

I found the following autographs at an antique store in Georgia a few years back; the store owner purchased many items in an estate sale from a man who lived in Cooperstown, NY as a young boy....and these autographs came from the 1939 HOF induction ceremony!?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I found in an old box of publications, a few lineup cards, which cought my eye, since that is one of my items I collect. The dealer told me he lived by an old umpire & used to get items from him. I got the game 7 st. louis cardinals lineup card that the home plate umpire held when they won the 1982 world series....still hard for me to believe it to this day...for a couple dollars!!!He had no idea what games or temas he had in that box. I can post a photo if anyone wishes.