Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Steelers GU jersey help - does this look legit?

Hi, new here and could use your opinion on this jersey. I bought this about 8 years ago at a retail sports shop, and the owner says he received this jersey from a friend that received this directly from Rod Woodson, and is supposedly "game worn". But from reading through some other posts and looking at other pictures of gamers.....I am now sceptical if this is legit. The owner supplied a COA that offers 150% money back if not legit and I may go marching back to collect on it if so.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Steelers GU jersey help - does this look legit?

Are there any markings or repairs to the shirt? Have you tried to style or photomatch to the year pertaining to the coa that you recieved?

Retail starter durene's and gamers are cut differenly, you should look at some authentic gamers are style match it.

DX.

there are no repair marks that I can find. It is dirty and appears to be worn, or at least not washed.

can you recommend a good place to find pics of gamers? can they be found on here? Do you know if there should be any other tags to help identify?

There's an identical kevin Greene jersey on ebay right now and it's listed as being the real deal/authentic. http://cgi.ebay.com/Kevin-Greene-Pit...QQcmdZViewItem

Banned

Shouldn't there be a year tag (swatch) sewn onto the jersey?

Jim

It is my strong opinion that the jersey is not game used.

Steeler nameplates should be tightly cropped around the name while this one extends well beyond the W and N on each side as is common with retail jerseys. Also, the size tag should be next to the exclusivity tag in the tail and not in the collar and as already pointed out, the year swatch is missing.

I believe this to be one of the jerseys sold in the old stadium's Pro Shop. Unfortunately, many of these have been magically transformed into gamers and sold on ebay, including in my opinion, the Kevin Greene jersey currently listed.

Not only is the tagging incorrect for the Greene jersey, but the fit is also completely wrong for Greene, who wore extra long jerseys that fit his body quite snuggly while with the Steelers. In addition, while in Pittsburgh, he wore a size 50 while the jersey being offered is a size 52.

I have written to the seller, pointing out these issues and asking that the auction description be modified, which unfortunately, has yet to occur.

There is a GUU member, RKGIBSON, who knows Greene quite well and has opined on some of his items in the past, perhaps he can provide some additional context here.

Getty Images has one pic of Woodson in his Steelers uniform dated , oct 23, 1994....

Unfortunately does not show the name plate....

Name:  woodson1.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  36.7 KB
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

It's a retail - A high end retail. Very good quality jersey. I have a Kevin Greene just like it.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

thanks for your feedback everyone. so, now that it sounds unanimously not a gamer. .. And to think I was going to get it customed framed this month (why the long wait? you wonder) I didn't know who to ask about it's authenticity, and just stumbled onto this website last week.
    Just curious, does anyone know what the value is for one of these jersey's? I guess I'll need to decide whether to trek back to the shop I purchased or just frame it anyway. It is a real cool jersey.

Just curious, does anyone know what the value is for one of these jersey's?
    On eBay, I'd say $150-250 range depending on the day.

Also depends on the description

thanks again everyone. I spoke to the owner of the hobby shop, who swears that he got the jersey from a trusted source, and wants some kind of documentation stating that its not a gamer. He said something from PSA/DNA or GAI, but do they even authenticate jerseys? Does anyone know a professional service or leader in the field that would provide documentation? My COA states 150% refund if proven unauthentic, so I'm dealing with a good sum of money.