Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Rich Saul / Jack Youngblood Game Used Worn La Rams Helmet

First of all, Thank you for your valuable time!
    I purchased a Los Angeles Rams game worn helmet a couple of months ago. I purchased the helmet on ebay. The helmet was listed as a Rich Saul helmet, but I purchased the helmet in HOPES that it might be a Jack Youngblood helmet.
    I knew the helmet matched the Rich Saul specs because I've had one of his helmets in the past, so size and style was a perfect match, BUT the helmet has the wrong face mask!

After a few more emails with the seller, I had the opportunity to speak with an elderly man that sold the helmet to the eBay seller. He's getting up there in age, so I talked to him on the phone instead of trying to commicate with him on computers (which I understand because my parents are about the same age and they don't have a computer either. lol)
    The gentleman actually worked for the Los Angeles Rams and he told me that he received the helmet after the 1976 Rams / Dolphins game in Miami. He told me that when the Rams were in Miami, someone broke into the Rams locker-room and stole about 15-20 of the Rams helmets. He said that Don Hewitt, the equipment manager, had about 3-4 hours to run all over town to try and find enough helmets so they could start the game! He also said that Don had a few of the Rams players sharing helmets that day. An offensive player would share a helmet with one of the defensive players! As I've looked through literally hundreds of LA Rams photos, Jack and Jim Youngblood are the only defensive players that I've found wearing that same exact face mask. Most of the other players wearing that same face mask were (offense) running backs, Cappelletti, McCutcheon, and also Jim Bertelsen.
    The Elderly ex-Rams employee told me on the phone that he was told that Rich Saul shared his helmet with Jack Youngblood! It made good sense to me, becuase of the fact that they both wore Wilson "Suspension Helmets" during the day!
    QUESTION! Does anyone have any information on that 1976 Rams / Dolphins game? Any information about the "stolen helmets"? I'd love to have a copy of an article on the "stolen helmets"!

I LOVE THE HELMET! It shows lite wear on the inside suspension, but shows great wear on the outside shell, and I was told by one of the TOP game worn helmet collectors that it looks to have a custom "Equipment Manager" paint job, that was done from time to time in the locker rooms! The helmet also has a vintage "RICH SAUL" name tag on the inside so it's a no brainer that it's Sauls helmet, but would love to have more history on the piece.

Thank you again for your valuable time. Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Rich Saul / Jack Youngblood Game Used Worn La Rams Helmet

You state that it is a perfect style match. I'm not a Rams helmet expert, but in 1976, the Rams horn went to the edge of the front of the helmet - like the photo you posted. Not like the later years positioning of the horns on your helmet.

Perhaps someone with more Rams helmet knowledge than I, can tell us when the Rams changed the positioning of the horns.

Thank you for your reply. The helmet is actually dated Dec of 1975 using the Wilson Date code on the back of the helmet.
    But looking at 100's of photos, I see both styles during the same years.

Here's a photo of the Rich Saul helmet that I actually sold a few years ago! It was also a 1975 Wilson code on back.

Thanks, Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I just checked a bunch of 1976 Rams photos and I do see both styles of decals, but it might be because of two different manufacturers of helmets because MOST of the helmets are Riddell and this is a WILSon. ???????

Thank you again for your help. I appreciate it. Mark

A long, long time ago I read a book on Pat Hayden's rookie season of 1976. Maybe if you can find the book, it might mention the helmet thefts.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey, Thanks Mike! I'll look for the book. That's a Great idea!

Thanks again, Mark

I found this website which talks about the game
    http://community-2.webtv.net/laramfan/THERAMSQBHISTORY/

Also, I think if you look around the dvd of the game exists (just the second half I think)

WOW! Thank you very much! I'm going to check it out right now! Thank you again for the information. Sincerely, Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by nyg44 View Post
    I found this website which talks about the game
    http://community-2.webtv.net/laramfan/THERAMSQBHISTORY/

Also, I think if you look around the dvd of the game exists (just the second half I think)

NYG44, you are my Hero! I just read the part on the "Rams Stories" that you just sent me! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

This "GameUsedForum.com" is really neat! Today is the first time I've ever posted anything on here, and tons of Great people!
    This is what the Elderly man (Ex Rams employee) was telling me about!

Read:
    Coach Knox didn't give the game ball to James Harris, he didn't even give it to a Ram player. The game ball went to equipment manager Don Hewitt. When the Rams arrived at the stadium, they found out someone broke into their locker room an stole a dozen helmets. Somehow on a Sunday morning in Miami, Hewitt managed to buy a few helmets, rebuild a few extras he had and worked out a system of trades between offensive and defensive players.

That is awesome to see. I was a freshman in high school in 1976 and remember that Rams-Dolphins game. I was, and am still to this day a die hard Rams fan and still can't get over the fact that those Ram teams under Chuck Knox could not get to the Super Bowl. I still identify the Rams with those uniforms they wore prior to 2000.

Don