Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Value of Painted on Game Balls - NFL

Can someone help me set a ball park value for a game ball (painted on saying "Presented to ....." for a common player from 2002 and 2003. He is willing to sell his first NFL touchdowns (both regular season and preseason) but I have no idea what to offer. I have a Steve Nelson game ball I bought off Ebay for $75 from 1972, but I am sure I got that for a steal. Just a ball park please. I don't want to insult him, nor offer way to much. Thanks for any help!
    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

Re: Value of Painted on Game Balls - NFL

any game ball IMO is worth at least 500.00 especially if it is painted and comes direct from the player. A nelson for 75 is not a steal it's the deal of a lifetime.

You could have had this one then for half price.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=46050
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by 1986&2004Bosox View Post
    any game ball IMO is worth at least 500.00 especially if it is painted and comes direct from the player.
    huh?
    500.00?
    I see them go for 100-200 quite often for a common player.

Banned

Would you mean these kinds of footballs?

There are a lot of variables.

1) What team? Depends on what market were're talking. Some teams items bring more money than other markets - Supply and demand;
    2) Game significance - Super Bowl, Playoff Game, etc?
    3) Was the football actually used in the game?
    4) Does it hold air? This MAY or MAY NOT be a factor;
    5) Who was the football issued to?
    -a) player - future HOF'er?
    -b) team owners;
    -c) coaches;
    -d) employees - The Eagles give team balls to employees (ushers, etc);
    -e) fans; and,
    -f) sponsors.
    6) Condition?
    7) Vintage or recent?

A value is a difficult thing to determine. I may have forgotten some other factors which determines a value of a "Presentation" football but this is a forum and other opinions, right or wrong, are always welcome. By the way, that Steve Nelson football was a nice pickup and a steal.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net
    Attached Images Attached Images       

I guess my Nelson is from 1975. I definitely know now I got a steal. He gave it to a child in a hospital and 20 years later, the childs mother sold it in a rummage sale. A guy assumed it had value and bought it for $50. He tried to sell it on Ebay for a reserve price of $100. The problem was, he was not an Ebay kind of guy....he described it terribly and included no pictures. We agreed on $75 shipped.

Anyway....thanks for the help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON View Post
    I guess my Nelson is from 1975. I definitely know now I got a steal. He gave it to a child in a hospital and 20 years later, the childs mother sold it in a rummage sale. A guy assumed it had value and bought it for $50. He tried to sell it on Ebay for a reserve price of $100. The problem was, he was not an Ebay kind of guy....he described it terribly and included no pictures. We agreed on $75 shipped.

Anyway....thanks for the help.
    Very nice football indeed. If you want to add to your collection, there's another Patriots, a Cardinals and a Cowboys Presentation football currently on eBay - no they are NOT mine.

Jim

Here's a game ball I'd tag at around $350, Tom Catlin (Knox Era coach) first playoff birth for the Seahawks etc. One of the nicer and more significant ones in my photo collection:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by princip View Post
    Here's a game ball I'd tag at around $350, Tom Catlin (Knox Era coach) first playoff birth for the Seahawks etc. One of the nicer and more significant ones in my photo collection:

princip - I have only one word for your football - NICE.

I have never seen a Seahawks football before and the artwork is awesome. On the flip-side, I have attached a Titans ball from 2002. It's a pretty nice but the Titans helmet (left side of the football) is actually a sticker.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Very nice Thornton ball there, dig that font/script.