Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1989 Griffey - Ebay

I saw this jersey and was hoping that someone wouldn't get taken but it seems I was overly optimistic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8793259367

Where to start with this gem..

- it's a size 40. I'm not sure I need to elaborate on that issue.
    - the seller, who apparently has been in the industry for 12 yrs, writes that the "Jersey is a size 40 but measures up more like a 44 or 46". A comment so ludicrous that I don't even know what to make of it. How does a size 40 jersey "measure up like a 46" ? So either the jersey is really a 44 or 46 and someone sewed a size 40 tag on it (makes no sense) or the jersey magically expanded over the years.
    - the Rawlings tag is from 1990/1991, yet the flag tag says 1989. Another Scoreboard piece?
    - notice the border on the left and right sides of the tag? that is, there's a different texture to the left and right sides of the manufacturers tag. 1988/1989 tags didn't have those borders.

here's the proper tagging for a 1989 Griffey:

I'm wondering if this is a Scoreboard jersey with the "Griffey Jr." name removed and a "Griffey" name added.

Rudy.

Re: 1989 Griffey - Ebay

This jersey is mine-
    What happened to emailing the seller first????

This jersey measures up perfect with a size 46 jersey-

The jersey has NOT been tampered with. The name plate is 100%ORIGINAL.

We have handled several late 90's Rawlings jerseys that where tagged smaller than what they measured up to.

If you have any other ?'s you can call us or email us at sales@centerfieldsports.com
    Centerfield Sports
    Bringing The Game To You!!!

We are also selling this shirt as an ISSUED jersey. Exactly what it is.
    Next time if you have ?'s email us first.
    Centerfield Sports

If I had emailed first and your answer below is the one I would've received privately, then there would've been no point in emailing and I still would've posted my thoughts.

The jersey measures up to a 46 yet is tagged as a 40?
    So when the Mariners received this jersey from Rawlings and saw that it was tagged as a 40, the clubhouse manager took out a tape measure, saw that it was really a 46, and then issued it to Griffey?
    The clubhouse manager was expecting a 44 or 46 for Griffey, he received a jersey tagged as a 40, and yet he still issued it? Is any of this likely or plausible?

And you've handled several like this? Have you handled many with incorrect manufacturer tags (the Rawlings tag is from 1990 & 1991)?
    This sort of mismatched year/manufacturer tag issue is frequently seen on Scoreboard pieces.

I don't understand the significance of saying that you're selling it as "game-issued". Game-issued, of course, means that it was hanging in the locker room, waiting for Griffey to use it in 1989 and he simply never got around to it. It doesn't somehow absolve the jersey of issues. It isn't a carte blanche to ignore or allow such issues. "This jersey doesn't match the size and the tagging is from the wrong year". "But it's game issued so it's ok!".

At any rate, if you're interested in the jersey, here are the assumptions you must genuinely believe:
    - Rawlings mislabeled it.
    - when the clubhouse received the mislabeled jersey, it decided to measure it and issue it to Griffey (as they wouldn't have put a legit size 40 inside Griffey's locker)

Anything's possible I guess. Whether it's likely is another story.

Rudy.

Banned

Rudy, why does "game issued" mean it was ever in the locker room?

Who set that definition? Really, the term means that it is tagged identical or similar to one used in a game - No one ever stats that a "game issued" jersey came from a hanger in the locker room.

Sure, the definition is vague, but it doesn't mean what you hope it means because the term is vague, but I know it doesn't mean the jersey came from a hanger in a locker room.

As for the measurement issues, I do not know who would have determined that the jersey was really a size 46 but tagged 40, so who knows or can prove anything more than the seller states. Now, I do also understand that the jersey is mis-tagged per your tagging guide, so that issue is a concern - Game used or game issued or similar to game issued.

The description basically comes from a known seller who is making it clear, they want the eBay bidder to believe this jersey may have been used in a game, which doesn't seem possible based on the information Rudy has provided of the incorrect Rawlings tagging for that era.

I never once said that jr may have worn it. Also I never said it hung in his locker. I am stating that this jersey was made for jr to wear. It is 100% proper and has a real griffey autograph on it.

This is why this forum sucks. You never give anyone a chance. No wonder people don't like to post on it.

If you don't want to bid on it don't I am selling it as an issued jersey signed by Ken Griffey Jr. A rookie era autograph on a real jersey is worth way more that the opening bid.
    Centerfield Sports

Rudy has been suspended for not following the stated rules of the forum. You must contact a seller before calling their items into question on this site.

I am happy to answer any questions about this here or at ecky3@aol.com

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but there are rules around here for a reason. Please familiarize yourself with them immediately if you haven't already.

Thank you
    Eric

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by centerfieldsports.com
    I never once said that jr may have worn it. Also I never said it hung in his locker. I am stating that this jersey was made for jr to wear. It is 100% proper and has a real griffey autograph on it.

This is why this forum sucks. You never give anyone a chance. No wonder people don't like to post on it.

If you don't want to bid on it don't I am selling it as an issued jersey signed by Ken Griffey Jr. A rookie era autograph on a real jersey is worth way more that the opening bid.
    What you are missing is that your wording, especially in the title and the description mentioning that the jersey shows possible use may lead bidders to bidding because of these words in the title and description.

I would think if this forum sucks that you wouldn't discuss the item with us, because the truth is this forum with people such as Rudy who has taught us how to use photo-matching as part of our authentication process is an amazing place to learn about game used equipment. Sorry Rudy didn't email you first, his issues are valid and your jersey will sell so there should be no further concern.

The main concern is too many sellers have used wording lately to receive higher prices for their items because they used wording to make a buyer possibly believe the item is game used when it appears there is no chance that it could have ever been worn.

In the case of your jersey, it has a tag from a Griffey, Jr. jersey by Rawlings that was not used in 1989, according to the information Rudy posted above. It is similar to a game jersey, end of story, no one but Rudy feels that the jersey should have come off a hanger in the locker room.

I have no problem discussing items with you. As long as you don't back me into a corner. I have not and will not ever sell anything that isn't real.

Facts- The autograph is real (certified by us and Psa/Dna)
    The jersey is a real Griffey pro jersey (with a 1989 year tag) Have we not seen diffrent Rawlings tags on diffrent year jerseys, I sure have.

Fact- I put used in the title, This is called marketing, I will get alot more looks at this jersey by this one word
    Centerfield Sports

Centerfield Sports

Just a suggestion-
    You might have an issue with Rudy, but it is really worth insulting the thousands who read and participate in this site (you realize they are all potential customers) by grouping them all in with "that is why this forum sucks"

People who participate on this site- myself included take a lot of pride in sharing information to help each other make educated purchases.

Rudy was wrong to not contact you first, but his questions were legitimate. He just should have given you a chance to respond first.
    Eric