Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Photo-matching/price premiums

Is anyone willing to pay more for a g/u item if it's photo-matched? Personally, I think I would in some cases. That said, I'm kind of surprised that people/dealers aren't charging premiums for things that have been photo-matched. I wouldn't have a problem with it, especially considering the "premiums" people pay to have someone else tell them they think their item is genuine (COAs). In reality if I'm buying something I'm assuming it's real to begin with, so a match really isn't neceassary. But, IMO, being able to link a g/u item directly to a player is pretty cool and probably worth a few extra bucks.

Jason

Re: Photo-matching/price premiums

Quote Originally Posted by skipcareyisfat
    Is anyone willing to pay more for a g/u item if it's photo-matched? Personally, I think I would in some cases. That said, I'm kind of surprised that people/dealers aren't charging premiums for things that have been photo-matched. I wouldn't have a problem with it, especially considering the "premiums" people pay to have someone else tell them they think their item is genuine (COAs). In reality if I'm buying something I'm assuming it's real to begin with, so a match really isn't neceassary. But, IMO, being able to link a g/u item directly to a player is pretty cool and probably worth a few extra bucks.

Jason
    I agree because I do have a few (very few) items that I actually can do this with and I kind of favor those items over some of the others. I hope they don't read this. They're such a jealous lot.

Given that many teams uses multiple sets of jersey variations these days I find it hard to believe that one can definitively say that a jersey can be 100% photo-matched. I believe you can photo match a jersey style but to pinpoint it to the exact jersey you own would be very difficult unless there are telltale signs like a tobacco stain, blood stain, repair patch, damage/rip, pine tar (as in the case of a Biggio or Buhner) syringe holes,etc.

With older jerseys from the days when teams only had set 1,2 home and road it may be doable.

I think there may be a chance to photo match a bat however a jersey would be difficult.

David

Banned

I have been able to photo match over 30 Astros Home Pinstripe jerseys since their use began in 2000. The most detailed work to date has been in my 2004 Clemens jersey. See here:

http://www.egameused.com/clemens_2004_jersey.html

As I am sure you know, no two pinstripe jerseys are the same, as they are made from 5 independent pieces of material. Patch allignment will also vary in relation to the pinstripes.

The Astros still use very few jerseys, especially for non-star players. For example, I own two Adam Everett 2004 Home Pinstripes. One looks like it is untouched, the other looks like it had been worn for 10 years. When I got Adam to sign both jerseys he claimed his superstitions kept the 2nd in the corner of the locker in case he needed it. The first was the worn he wore for over 40 Home games (when pinstripes were worn).

I know other teams wear many more jerseys, and some don't wear pinstripes.

In terms of value, I do think photo matched items carry a premium. A New York collector latest offer for my Clemens was $35,000, a match to Steiner prices. Other Clemens 2004 jerseys with no photo match and light use have gone for under $4000.

Bats are by far my favorite to photo match, and by far the toughest. I have only photomatched about a dozen bats, including the Adam Everett 2005 World Series bat (photos attached).

Name:  Everett 2005 WS Bat Crack.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  Everett 2005 WS Bat Photo Match.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  42.2 KB

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
    www.eGameUsed.com
    ccboyd@houston.rr.com
    713-385-1155

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eGameUsed
    In terms of value, I do think photo matched items carry a premium. A New York collector latest offer for my Clemens was $35,000, a match to Steiner prices. Other Clemens 2004 jerseys with no photo match and light use have gone for under $4000.
    Chris, you did take the offer, right?

Banned

No, much to wife's dismay, I did not! It was a nice offer, but that is when it becomes tough to be a dealer and collector. I offered the same collector another photo matched Astros jersey from 2004, and they refused at a much lower price. They wanted the jersey that was matched to the All-Star game. I have over 70 photos to date of Clemens wearing the shirt, ranging from Getty Images, Astros Programs, and Sports Illustrated.

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
    www.eGameUsed.com
    ccboyd@houston.rr.com
    713-385-1155

Banned

A lady asked me today what I collect, and I told her everything I have ever collected I have eventually sold (except for personally autographed items to me) as it gives me something to do with my time, which is to find more of the same or similar items.

Quote Originally Posted by trsent
    A lady asked me today what I collect, and I told her everything I have ever collected I have eventually sold (except for personally autographed items to me) as it gives me something to do with my time, which is to find more of the same or similar items.
    I heard you collect broken hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by eGameUsed
    I have been able to photo match over 30 Astros Home Pinstripe jerseys since their use began in 2000. The most detailed work to date has been in my 2004 Clemens jersey. See here:

http://www.egameused.com/clemens_2004_jersey.html

As I am sure you know, no two pinstripe jerseys are the same, as they are made from 5 independent pieces of material. Patch allignment will also vary in relation to the pinstripes.

The Astros still use very few jerseys, especially for non-star players. For example, I own two Adam Everett 2004 Home Pinstripes. One looks like it is untouched, the other looks like it had been worn for 10 years. When I got Adam to sign both jerseys he claimed his superstitions kept the 2nd in the corner of the locker in case he needed it. The first was the worn he wore for over 40 Home games (when pinstripes were worn).

I know other teams wear many more jerseys, and some don't wear pinstripes.

Bats are by far my favorite to photo match, and by far the toughest. I have only photomatched about a dozen bats, including the Adam Everett 2005 World Series bat (photos attached).

Attachment 827

Attachment 828

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
    www.eGameUsed.com
    ccboyd@houston.rr.com
    713-385-1155

The proof is in the pinstripes. Good point Chris! I'm going on to Getty images tonight to try to see if I can photo-match my 2002 Roberto Alomar home pinstripe!

David

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood
    I heard you collect broken hearts.
    ...and bad checks!