Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aikman "Gamer" - Huggins & Scott

several folks have contacted me about an aikman "gamer" recently listed at huggins & scott - apparently several folks also contacted h&s with questions as well given h&s felt compelled to eventually edit the aikman lot description to include the following:

NOTE:
    This lot was obtained from a NFL equipment manager by our consigner. This individual was not named by the consigner due to confidentiality reasons but it should be known that this helmet came straight from the locker room. Huggins and Scott is allowing the winning bidder 30 days from the date when payment is received to have the item independently authenticated. Payment must, however, be made by February 9, 2009 (4 days from the end of the auction). Huggins and Scott is not responsible for any authentication fees or shipping charges incurred by the winning bidder but H&S will refund the hammer price and buyers premium if the item does not pass authentication with a reputable third party company.

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=11272

i would recommend that the winning bidder that dropped $1,300++ on this lid take h&s up on their refund offer. there are quite a few problems that disqualify this item as an authentic troy aikman game used helmet imo, too many to quickly cover in fact. but for starters, the cowboys have their helmets sprayed (painted) after they are assembled which is why you will find that the exterior jaw pad rivets on authentic cowboys helmets are typically covered in paint. also, the "schutt" logo is never present. looking at the h&s helmet you can see that the exterior jaw pad rivets are visible (the shell has not been painted after assembly) and the "schutt" logo is present but has been covered with the nfl shield (it appears that attempts have been made to remove the logo).

speaking of aikman "gamers" sold at auction, here's one that sold some time ago for $4,000++ which also fails the authenticity test imo - again, lots of problems. the lot description states that the helmet was photo matched to aikman's rookie card but after a quick look it seems that the photo match conclusion rested largely on the "air" logo on the front snubber. whatever the case, aikman never sported a lid with exterior warning and size decals in sold white - nor did any cowboys that i'm aware of. some teams used these type of decals but the cowboys were not among them - in fact the cowboys have always been rather meticulous about the uniform appearance of their helmets. also, the front forehead pad (sizer) in not consistent with what aikman wore during his first years with the boys...

robert

Re: Aikman "Gamer" - Huggins & Scott

Great work as usual Robert!

Robert you obviously have no idea what your talking about!

"It comes from an impeccable source"!!!!!!

Now why don't you leave the auction houses alone!

Seriously though, has every auction house tried to hire you for aucthentication?....I'm sure they're happy with Lampson's track record and all....

I wonder if Lou is short for Lucifer?...

Once again an $1100 dymo strip.

I get a kick out of some of these helmets that collectors make up and then sell on the auction house. They wack the helmet together with another one and put a few scuffs on the outside and abra -ka-dabra, a game used helmet with wear. You then look at the inside of the helmet and it looks brand new - like it has never been worn. They need to strap it on and go to the beach in the summer and get some wear and sweat stains going...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

Chris,

When are you going to put an end to this Robert guy? Once again he's sitting behind his computer causing trouble. It's very bad for the hobby I tell ya.

Jim

for those of you that have been kicking yourselves for missing out on the aikman "gem" listed at huggins & scott last month, fret no more - it has returned in all of its magnificent glory, on ebay. but this time around it will cost you more than twice as much as the h&s hammer price given the ebay buy it now price is set at $2,800. but rest assured that even at this price it's still an absolute steal. why? because the seller says so.

not only does the seller point out that it's a "bargain price considering Aikman gamer's sell for over $4500..." but he also adds that "when you consider this one was worn by an NFL Hall of Famer, it makes it that much more expensive." as if this isn't proof enough of the tremendous bargain in store for the lucky buyer, the seller has actually reduced the price on this baby to its current bin price of $2,800! but hold on to your hats, it gets better. if you act quickly you will also receive a troy aikman topps card! hope i didn't blow my chances on winning this beauty by sharing this info with you guys!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320350746462

robert

I saw he had that helmet listed last week for I believe $3500.
    Always looking for anything Cowboys Game Used

"This guy's unbelievable!!! I never wore that thing."

Robert,

Has any auction company made the brilliant decision to inquire about your services for their helmets at auction? I can hardly remember a post of yours that I didn't learn something from. I don't even collect helmets but I have a great reference list of items you have graciously commented on.

I think I speak for everyone here when I thank you for your expertise and wealth of detailed information you willing offer our community for free. I know I am not alone in saying I wouldn't purchase a helmet without asking your opinion.

Just thought I'd offer an overdue Thank You for your articulate and concise posts which have enlightened us all.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

I got to agree with Gingi79, Robert is a huge asset to this hobby of ours. The information he knows is nothing short of incredible. And he shares that info with all of us freely for which I am grateful. I'm not a helmet collector, but every thread he starts I read. I've even been on the receiving end of his knowldege once and for that I am thankful. Major props to Robert, a hobby good guy!