Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Re: OT: Manny Ramirez: 'No one wants to sign me'

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Steve - Well said, and I only know about my 1 encounter with Manny and his guys. If you want to call me, I will give you the summary. Like I said, I don't think it is fair to re-hash it here as Manny doesn't have the opportunity to respond.

On the Manny signing, selfishly I want him to stay with the Dodgers so the Washington Nationals can sign Adam Dunn because supposedly Adam Dunn is waiting to see what the Dodgers do.....

Another soap opera!
    I agree Andrew, I believe this is what Adam is doing!!! I think LA should sign Adam, Hudson and one more and leave Manny be. Boras perhaps does not understand that LA is Manny's ONLY $$ option...

I'm sure Dunn is aware he could sign with WA in a second, for a year if he has to. He's played with the Reds so long in a losing atmosphere I'm sure he would prefer a contender (LA). If Manny signs with LA, no doubt you'll see Dunn in a Nationals uni. Reason is pretty obvious - not 1 other team wants a 40 HR/ 100 RBI guy. Say what you want about K's...look at OB% and the RBI's...that is what matters.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    That said, no need to continue to question the "Manny Haters" if you will.
    I am not a Manny Hater, as I respect his work ethic. Spending time with Manny I saw him as the 1st player awake in the morning as he left the hotel before 9AM to go lift weights at the gym. His friend said Manny gets back after games and doesn't go out to the bars so he is early to bed and early to rise and also early to the ballpark. That is impressive so I have to respect that. As far as off the field, Manny hopefully will work at that too.

Breaking news about the Yankees! Just read this quote----

"I do hear rumblings [that] people actually expect us to get in on Manny. That's not going to happen," said general manager Brian Cashman.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Breaking news about the Yankees! Just read this quote----

"I do hear rumblings [that] people actually expect us to get in on Manny. That's not going to happen," said general manager Brian Cashman.
    Actually, the Yankees CAN NOT sign Manny. Period.

Look at the Collective Bargaining Agreement - the Yankees have already signed their 'fill' Of Type A and Type B Free Agents who were with other teams last year. That alone BARS the Yankees from even being able to consider going after Manny until next year - or unless someone else signs him and the Yankees TRADE for him.

Under the agreement, a team can sign as many Free Agents as it wants of players who played for their team the previous season to retain their services, but they can only sign 5 Type A / Type B Free Agents from other teams.

The rule is in place to keep a team like the Yankees or Red Sox or Dodgers who have deep pockets from simply buying up all the Free Agents each year.

That said, unless (or until) Manny SIGNS somewhere, you can forget about the Yankees even being able to consider him until next year.

- Chris

Offered $25 million (most people would consider that "winning the lottery"), a salary which if wisely invested would set most people up for life and would make him for one year the 2nd highest paid player in baseball, and its not enough. There are some people who think because a person is an athlete any amount of salary is great, $25 billion would not be enough for the pleasure they give us. But I think gradually there are a lot more people who are coming to believe that players turning up their noses at at contracts like this is a turn off. Its part of our society and not limited to sport, we're seeing it in CEO's of major companies too. This is a free country and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when millions are loosing their jobs and out of work its hard to feel too sorry for a player who turns down $25 million and does not always give 100% for his millions.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    Offered $25 million (most people would consider that "winning the lottery"), a salary which if wisely invested would set most people up for life and would make him for one year the 2nd highest paid player in baseball, and its not enough. There are some people who think because a person is an athlete any amount of salary is great, $25 billion would not be enough for the pleasure they give us. But I think gradually there are a lot more people who are coming to believe that players turning up their noses at at contracts like this is a turn off. Its part of our society and not limited to sport, we're seeing it in CEO's of major companies too. This is a free country and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when millions are loosing their jobs and out of work its hard to feel too sorry for a player who turns down $25 million and does not always give 100% for his millions.
    Exactly CJ. It's not like Manny is evaluating other offers from another team. Nobody is even close. He should have taken it for a year, and then if he has another great year (which he should), you have a better bargaining position at that point for more years.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Maybe he doesn't want to play for the Dodgers anymore and that is why he keeps rejecting their offers

Just a thought
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Actually, the Yankees CAN NOT sign Manny. Period.

Look at the Collective Bargaining Agreement - the Yankees have already signed their 'fill' Of Type A and Type B Free Agents who were with other teams last year. That alone BARS the Yankees from even being able to consider going after Manny until next year - or unless someone else signs him and the Yankees TRADE for him.

Under the agreement, a team can sign as many Free Agents as it wants of players who played for their team the previous season to retain their services, but they can only sign 5 Type A / Type B Free Agents from other teams.

The rule is in place to keep a team like the Yankees or Red Sox or Dodgers who have deep pockets from simply buying up all the Free Agents each year.

That said, unless (or until) Manny SIGNS somewhere, you can forget about the Yankees even being able to consider him until next year.

- Chris
    Wrong........See below

Limit on free-agent signings is up

Teams can sign up to eight Type A, B players due to flooded market

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

Because of an exception granted, the Yankees -- or any other team -- can sign as many as eight Type A or Type B free agents this season, a top baseball official said on Friday.

Thus, if the Yankees were so inclined, they could still sign pitcher Ben Sheets or left fielder Manny Ramirez if there are millions more dollars remaining in the Steinbrenner bank.

Under rules stated in the Basic Agreement, an exception was made this offseason because of the high number of free agents on the market -- a combined 216 between six-year free agents filing before Nov. 14 and players who weren't tendered contracts on Dec. 12, said Rob Manfred, Major League Baseball's executive vice president of labor relations and human resources.

Manfred corrected earlier speculation that no exception had been asked for or given this offseason.

"The facts are that an exception was given early in the free-agency season because of the high amount of free agents filing this year," Manfred said.

The Yankees have already signed five Type A free agents -- CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Mark Teixeira and their own Andy Pettitte and Damaso Marte. The quota, as defined in the collectively bargained rules established by management and the Players Association, state, "if there are from 39 to 62 players [filing], no team can sign more than three."

Manfred negotiates these kinds of terms with the Major League Baseball Players Association. The current Basic Agreement, agreed upon after the 2006 season, doesn't expire until Dec. 31, 2011.

The agreement goes on to say that if there are "more than 62 such players, the club quota shall be increased accordingly."

In any event, after signing five free agents at a guaranteed total cost of $447.5 million spread out over the next eight years, it appears the Yankees are done spending this offseason and are no longer in the market.

Rules about compensatory Draft picks have led to some confusion this offseason.

Only Type A or Type B free agents who have turned down arbitration yield compensation picks. That means the Brewers, who offered Sabathia arbitration, wound up being compensated by the Yankees with their second-round pick in next June's First-Year Player Draft. The Padres, on the other hand, didn't receive a pick for all-time career saves leader Trevor Hoffman when he signed with the Brewers, because he wasn't offered arbitration.

The main reason a club might decline to offer arbitration is that it's more concerned with the amount of money an arbitrator might award to the player than preserving the possibility of a compensatory Draft pick.

This year, 24 of the 63 players in that group were offered arbitration. Two of the 24, Darren Oliver of the Angels and David Weathers of the Reds, accepted arbitration and returned to those clubs. Thus, 22 of 216 free agents this year, or about 10 percent, carry Draft-pick compensation if they are signed by another club.

With 11 Type A and Type B free agents who were offered arbitration unsigned, the question arose regarding what might happen if one of them signed with a Major League club after the Draft, to be held in June.

The list of unsigned Type A players includes Ramirez, Oliver Perez, Jason Varitek, Orlando Cabrera, Juan Cruz, Orlando Hudson and Sheets. The Type B list includes Mark Grudzielanek, Paul Byrd, Dennys Reyes and Brian Shouse. "It's always been our position that if [a player] goes past the Draft, the compensation goes away," Manfred said, adding that it has never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by mwbosoxfan View Post
    Wrong........See below

Limit on free-agent signings is up

Teams can sign up to eight Type A, B players due to flooded market

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

The Yankees have already signed five Type A free agents -- CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Mark Teixeira and their own Andy Pettitte and Damaso Marte. .
    Thanks for that.

I had only counted 3 against the 5 slots anyway because I didn't realize that signing your own Type A/B as was applicable to the overall number as was the case with Petitte and Marte.

That doesn't make much sense to me that your own player would count, but anyway your clarification set this all straight.

I appreciate it.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Thanks for that.

I had only counted 3 against the 5 slots anyway because I didn't realize that signing your own Type A/B as was applicable to the overall number as was the case with Petitte and Marte.

That doesn't make much sense to me that your own player would count, but anyway your clarification set this all straight.

I appreciate it.
    Andrew,

Glad the article helped. I included the part about the confusion concerning compensatory draft picks - might have helped if Varitek would have read the article.

John

I hope this link works as it is 3 video clips on ESPN about the Manny situation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3883330
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500