X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwbosoxfan
    • Mar 2006

Re: OT: Manny Ramirez: 'No one wants to sign me'

Originally posted by allstarsplus
    That is Boras's dream to get the Yankees in the mix, but sounds like that isn't going to happen according to Cashman.
    Didn't Cashman say that they were not persuing Mark Teixeira when the timeline after the fact pretty much showed that the Yankees were in it most of the way? My point is that if the deals for Manny get serious on a one year basis, I think that revives possibilities with a few more teams, including the Bombers.

John

Comment

• xpress34
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by mwbosoxfan
      Wrong........See below

Limit on free-agent signings is up

Teams can sign up to eight Type A, B players due to flooded market

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

Because of an exception granted, the Yankees -- or any other team -- can sign as many as eight Type A or Type B free agents this season, a top baseball official said on Friday.

Thus, if the Yankees were so inclined, they could still sign pitcher Ben Sheets or left fielder Manny Ramirez if there are millions more dollars remaining in the Steinbrenner bank.

Under rules stated in the Basic Agreement, an exception was made this offseason because of the high number of free agents on the market -- a combined 216 between six-year free agents filing before Nov. 14 and players who weren't tendered contracts on Dec. 12, said Rob Manfred, Major League Baseball's executive vice president of labor relations and human resources.

Manfred corrected earlier speculation that no exception had been asked for or given this offseason.

"The facts are that an exception was given early in the free-agency season because of the high amount of free agents filing this year," Manfred said.

The Yankees have already signed five Type A free agents -- CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Mark Teixeira and their own Andy Pettitte and Damaso Marte. The quota, as defined in the collectively bargained rules established by management and the Players Association, state, "if there are from 39 to 62 players [filing], no team can sign more than three."

Manfred negotiates these kinds of terms with the Major League Baseball Players Association. The current Basic Agreement, agreed upon after the 2006 season, doesn't expire until Dec. 31, 2011.

The agreement goes on to say that if there are "more than 62 such players, the club quota shall be increased accordingly."

In any event, after signing five free agents at a guaranteed total cost of $447.5 million spread out over the next eight years, it appears the Yankees are done spending this offseason and are no longer in the market.
      I'll have to find the article I just read the other day - I was going on the article I read that stated that no adjustment had been voted on in this past Winter Meetings. And based on that information, I was completely correct in my statement before.

In fact here it is... and you know what's so funny about it??? It's your man Barry Bllom (who you are quoting above) who made the statement that the Yankees reached their Free Agent Quota... so chew on that!!!

AND to be quite blunt, your man Rob Manfred is also the one who said that NO Increased Quota was asked for... so BOTH Bloom and Manfred have changed their tunes since this article from the Washington Post - just printed Jan 30th (5 days ago)!?!?!?

So, before you get all sefl righteous with your WRONG statement, maybe you should dig a little deeper - sorry I didn't quote this article earlier.

You are correct about the 'Flooded Market' - but only IF the teams vote an exception the amount of A and B Free Agents teams can sign (in other words they agree to 'adjust' the number - see below), and - again - the article I read stated that MLB passed on voting on that issue at this past Winter Meetings. It is not an automatic exception to the number of players based on being a flooded market.

This is the Section from the CBA:

From the Quota section of the Collective Bargaining Agreement:
      If there are 14 or less such Players, no Club may sign more than one Type A or B Player.

If there are from 15 to 38 such Players, no Club may sign more than two Type A or B Players.

If there are from 39 to 62 such Players, no Club may sign more than three Type A or B Players.

If there are more than 62 such Players, the Club quotas shall be increased accordingly.

There shall be no restrictions on the number of unranked Players that a Club may sign to contracts.
      The caveat:
      A Club shall be eligible to sign at least as many Type A and B Players as it may have lost through Players having become free agents under this Section at the close of the season just concluded.
      But all that aside, the Yankees have another HUGE issue that will STOP them from being able to sign Manny:

The Yankees 40 Man Roster is FULL and they would have to cut or trade someone to absorb Manny (obviously if Manny refused 1 Yr, $25Mil he won't sign a Minor League deal regardless of promises)

Here is a great article on the other reason the Yankees won't/can't sign Manny:

We have all heard the news about Manny Ramirez rejecting a 1 year/$25 million contract from the Dodgers. As a result, many people in New York (Mets and Yankees fans alike) are pushing for the New York Yankees to sign Manny Ramirez...

So, there's my source information for my earlier statement - and again, ironic that the same two guys you quote to tell me I'm WRONG are the SAME two guys where I got my information!!!!

Comment

• mwbosoxfan
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by xpress34

In fact here it is... and you know what's so funny about it??? It's your man Barry Bllom (who you are quoting above) who made the statement that the Yankees reached their Free Agent Quota... so chew on that!!!

AND to be quite blunt, your man Rob Manfred is also the one who said that NO Increased Quota was asked for... so BOTH Bloom and Manfred have changed their tunes since this article from the Washington Post - just printed Jan 30th (5 days ago)!?!?!?

So, before you get all sefl righteous with your WRONG statement, maybe you should dig a little deeper - sorry I didn't quote this article earlier.

So, there's my source information for my earlier statement - and again, ironic that the same two guys you quote to tell me I'm WRONG are the SAME two guys where I got my information!!!!
        Chris, you are right. I didn't dig very deep. I simply copied an article that was posted on MLB.com that I assumed to be accurate. I read this article a couple of days ago, so I'm sorry to tell you that you are wrong in your post. You posted several words in bold print to imply strongly that they cannot sign Manny. I didn't mean to come off self righteous, but found them inaccurate. If it wasn't a possibility, I also thought that more in the mainstream baseball analytical world would've been talking about that the Yankees couldn't sign him if that were the case. Sorry, should've explained in more words, than just said, "wrong".

John

Comment

• allstarsplus
          • Nov 2005

Something is missing here. Why would Cashman say they wouldn't pursue Manny if by rule he couldn't any way?

Wouldn't he say, we are out of Free Agent options so we can't pursue Manny?
          Regards,
          Andrew Lang
          AllstarsPlus@aol.com
          202-716-8500

Comment

• camarokids
            • Jun 2006

Something is missing here. Why would Cashman say they wouldn't pursue Manny if by rule he couldn't any way?

I don't know what is right. But I was reading the article on mlb.com that I posted a link to after reading on GUU that the Yanks were out of options.

So what is correct???

Could the Yanks try and sign MR if they wanted to???
            Thank you,
            David

This is my email address here!
            dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• xpress34
              • Sep 2008

Chris, you are right. I didn't dig very deep. I simply copied an article that was posted on MLB.com that I assumed to be accurate. I read this article a couple of days ago, so I'm sorry to tell you that you are wrong in your post. You posted several words in bold print to imply strongly that they cannot sign Manny. I didn't mean to come off self righteous, but found them inaccurate. If it wasn't a possibility, I also thought that more in the mainstream baseball analytical world would've been talking about that the Yankees couldn't sign him if that were the case. Sorry, should've explained in more words, than just said, "wrong".

John
              John -

We're all good... it's baseball! We're supposed to get heated if we're passionate about it... right?

My Apologies as well...

All the best -

Chris

P.S. - don't you find it strange though the both Bloom and Manfred have both been quoted (within the a few days of each quote even) of having stated the situation to be BOTH ways???

Comment

• mwbosoxfan
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by camarokids
                I don't know what is right. But I was reading the article on mlb.com that I posted a link to after reading on GUU that the Yanks were out of options.

So what is correct???

Could the Yanks try and sign MR if they wanted to???
                I believe the article I copied from MLB.com is the latest clarification. I read the same thing referenced in the Boston Globe also. I posted to Chris the very thing that you mentioned, Andrew, only looking from the view of the baseball analysts to comment. Between MLB Network, SI, and ESPN baseball analysts, someone would have brought up the fact they were out of options if they were. I agree, Cashman would have said the same thing I would assume. Camaro, yes, the Yanks could sign him if they wanted to, but would have to make room. I heard that they're still wanting to trade Swisher and Nady.

Originally posted by xpress34
                John -

We're all good... it's baseball! We're supposed to get heated if we're passionate about it... right?

My Apologies as well...

All the best -

Chris

P.S. - don't you find it strange though the both Bloom and Manfred have both been quoted (within the a few days of each quote even) of having stated the situation to be BOTH ways???
                Thanks, Chris. I wonder if the articles you referenced may have caused the office of MLB to clarify the ruling, thus the later article on MLB.com?

Comment

• xpress34
                  • Sep 2008

Thanks, Chris. I wonder if the articles you referenced may have caused the office of MLB to clarify the ruling, thus the later article on MLB.com?
                  John -

No Problem. And yes, that could be the case. Maybe they felt they got caught with their pants down.

- Chris

Comment

Working...