Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Mr.3000

Re: OT: Manny Ramirez: 'No one wants to sign me'

My personal opinion is that I don't care what a player does or says off the field. The media is way too involved with athletes these days.

I wonder how many players we idolize from the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's beat their wives, cheated, were homosexual....and we never knew, therefore we didn't care.

I submit that some fans only care today because it is all over the media, 24/7.

I am a fan of the sport and a fan of the athlete...and what he does ON THE FIELD.

I want to see Manny hit the ball, drive in runs and hit HR's. I don't pay for my ticket to sit and wonder what charity he involves himself with or whether or not he's a faithful spouse.

Ballplayers are paid to play ball...not be perfect.

Players are people too. Yes they are often spoiled primadonnas but who are we to try and dictate how they live their lives off the field? Try telling your neighbor he has to go to church or that he must give to a charity. I'd wager that wouldn't fare to well for you.

And yes, Manny doesn't contribute much other than his bat. What about Bob Uecker. Did he contribute much more than catching? What about Edgar Martinez? He was all bat as well. Maybe Manny should be back in the AL and moved to DH.

I respect the uber straight and narrow players....but I don't begrudge the ones that aren't perfect.

The Dodgers offered Ramirez a contract and he turned it down. That throws out the "No one wants to sign me" argument.

Did Manny turn the Dodgers down, or was it Scott Boras?

Mark

Ned Colletti and Scott Boras are in a starring contest. Once someone flinches, he'll end up in a Dodger uniform. No one else has the money to sign him and Boras is starting to sound like a used car salesman by saying "I've had many people looking at it. You better pick it up before someone else does!"