Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Re: OT: Manny Ramirez: 'No one wants to sign me'

According to an interview on MLB.com with Brian Cashman. The yanks could sign Manny, but have no interest.

Here is an excerpt from the article....

Technically, the Yankees could improve even more and pursue a Type A free agent like Ramirez, which would be completely within baseball's rules.

complete article here.....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...2008&fext=.jsp
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Actually, the Yankees would be a great homecoming for Manny, they can afford him, his old teammates in LL and HS could root him on from the stands, and the clash of mega egos would make for the best press in years (Tex, A-Rod, Manny), so I am now fixated on him getting a deal done with the Yanks. The media in NY will have way more to write about than they can possibly handle!

Quote Originally Posted by eisenreich8 View Post
    Actually, the Yankees would be a great homecoming for Manny, they can afford him, his old teammates in LL and HS could root him on from the stands, and the clash of mega egos would make for the best press in years (Tex, A-Rod, Manny), so I am now fixated on him getting a deal done with the Yanks. The media in NY will have way more to write about than they can possibly handle!
    That is Boras's dream to get the Yankees in the mix, but sounds like that isn't going to happen according to Cashman.

According to Buster Olney, it is the Dodgers or to the SF Giants which I would guess would not be any where near $25 mill per year.

Don't be surprised if Manny and the Dodgers finish a deal by tomorrow for 2 years at $46 to $48 million as the Cashman revelation doesn't give Boras many viable options.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

I would love to see Dunn in Dodger blue...

Love to see Manny with the Giants, or sitting out somewhere.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Mr.3000

I'd love to see Manny with the Mets. The fans want him.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    That is Boras's dream to get the Yankees in the mix, but sounds like that isn't going to happen according to Cashman.
    Didn't Cashman say that they were not persuing Mark Teixeira when the timeline after the fact pretty much showed that the Yankees were in it most of the way? My point is that if the deals for Manny get serious on a one year basis, I think that revives possibilities with a few more teams, including the Bombers.

John

Quote Originally Posted by mwbosoxfan View Post
    Wrong........See below

Limit on free-agent signings is up

Teams can sign up to eight Type A, B players due to flooded market

By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

Because of an exception granted, the Yankees -- or any other team -- can sign as many as eight Type A or Type B free agents this season, a top baseball official said on Friday.

Thus, if the Yankees were so inclined, they could still sign pitcher Ben Sheets or left fielder Manny Ramirez if there are millions more dollars remaining in the Steinbrenner bank.

Under rules stated in the Basic Agreement, an exception was made this offseason because of the high number of free agents on the market -- a combined 216 between six-year free agents filing before Nov. 14 and players who weren't tendered contracts on Dec. 12, said Rob Manfred, Major League Baseball's executive vice president of labor relations and human resources.

Manfred corrected earlier speculation that no exception had been asked for or given this offseason.

"The facts are that an exception was given early in the free-agency season because of the high amount of free agents filing this year," Manfred said.

The Yankees have already signed five Type A free agents -- CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Mark Teixeira and their own Andy Pettitte and Damaso Marte. The quota, as defined in the collectively bargained rules established by management and the Players Association, state, "if there are from 39 to 62 players [filing], no team can sign more than three."

Manfred negotiates these kinds of terms with the Major League Baseball Players Association. The current Basic Agreement, agreed upon after the 2006 season, doesn't expire until Dec. 31, 2011.

The agreement goes on to say that if there are "more than 62 such players, the club quota shall be increased accordingly."

In any event, after signing five free agents at a guaranteed total cost of $447.5 million spread out over the next eight years, it appears the Yankees are done spending this offseason and are no longer in the market.
    I'll have to find the article I just read the other day - I was going on the article I read that stated that no adjustment had been voted on in this past Winter Meetings. And based on that information, I was completely correct in my statement before.

In fact here it is... and you know what's so funny about it??? It's your man Barry Bllom (who you are quoting above) who made the statement that the Yankees reached their Free Agent Quota... so chew on that!!!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/bas..._manny_be.html

AND to be quite blunt, your man Rob Manfred is also the one who said that NO Increased Quota was asked for... so BOTH Bloom and Manfred have changed their tunes since this article from the Washington Post - just printed Jan 30th (5 days ago)!?!?!?

So, before you get all sefl righteous with your WRONG statement, maybe you should dig a little deeper - sorry I didn't quote this article earlier.

You are correct about the 'Flooded Market' - but only IF the teams vote an exception the amount of A and B Free Agents teams can sign (in other words they agree to 'adjust' the number - see below), and - again - the article I read stated that MLB passed on voting on that issue at this past Winter Meetings. It is not an automatic exception to the number of players based on being a flooded market.

This is the Section from the CBA:

From the Quota section of the Collective Bargaining Agreement:
    If there are 14 or less such Players, no Club may sign more than one Type A or B Player.

If there are from 15 to 38 such Players, no Club may sign more than two Type A or B Players.

If there are from 39 to 62 such Players, no Club may sign more than three Type A or B Players.

If there are more than 62 such Players, the Club quotas shall be increased accordingly.

There shall be no restrictions on the number of unranked Players that a Club may sign to contracts.
    The caveat:
    A Club shall be eligible to sign at least as many Type A and B Players as it may have lost through Players having become free agents under this Section at the close of the season just concluded.
    But all that aside, the Yankees have another HUGE issue that will STOP them from being able to sign Manny:

The Yankees 40 Man Roster is FULL and they would have to cut or trade someone to absorb Manny (obviously if Manny refused 1 Yr, $25Mil he won't sign a Minor League deal regardless of promises)

Here is a great article on the other reason the Yankees won't/can't sign Manny:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-manny-ramirez

So, there's my source information for my earlier statement - and again, ironic that the same two guys you quote to tell me I'm WRONG are the SAME two guys where I got my information!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post

In fact here it is... and you know what's so funny about it??? It's your man Barry Bllom (who you are quoting above) who made the statement that the Yankees reached their Free Agent Quota... so chew on that!!!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/bas..._manny_be.html

AND to be quite blunt, your man Rob Manfred is also the one who said that NO Increased Quota was asked for... so BOTH Bloom and Manfred have changed their tunes since this article from the Washington Post - just printed Jan 30th (5 days ago)!?!?!?

So, before you get all sefl righteous with your WRONG statement, maybe you should dig a little deeper - sorry I didn't quote this article earlier.

So, there's my source information for my earlier statement - and again, ironic that the same two guys you quote to tell me I'm WRONG are the SAME two guys where I got my information!!!!
    Chris, you are right. I didn't dig very deep. I simply copied an article that was posted on MLB.com that I assumed to be accurate. I read this article a couple of days ago, so I'm sorry to tell you that you are wrong in your post. You posted several words in bold print to imply strongly that they cannot sign Manny. I didn't mean to come off self righteous, but found them inaccurate. If it wasn't a possibility, I also thought that more in the mainstream baseball analytical world would've been talking about that the Yankees couldn't sign him if that were the case. Sorry, should've explained in more words, than just said, "wrong".

John

Something is missing here. Why would Cashman say they wouldn't pursue Manny if by rule he couldn't any way?

Wouldn't he say, we are out of Free Agent options so we can't pursue Manny?
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Something is missing here. Why would Cashman say they wouldn't pursue Manny if by rule he couldn't any way?

Wouldn't he say, we are out of Free Agent options so we can't pursue Manny?
    I don't know what is right. But I was reading the article on mlb.com that I posted a link to after reading on GUU that the Yanks were out of options.

So what is correct???

Could the Yanks try and sign MR if they wanted to???
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...